• This topic has 1,107 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 1,108 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2017-2018 season
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Too good not to share!

At the ski resort. Photo by Yuri Somov, 1982.

HT – @sovietvisuals

geoffj

Glenshee planning permission approved to replace Cairnwell T with a chairlift.

*likes*

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I think it depends on what type of touring and what your partners are using. If you’re the only one on AT gear it’s going to be a long day when they scamper off ahead of you on tech bindings. But if it’s mostly slack country then less of an issue. Personally I’d go tech bindings and then choose the boot to match expectations. The walk mode on tech is still way better than any frame binding I’ve tried. I notice flexy ski boots way more both uphill (good) and down (bad)

I’ve got dynafit with Maestrale boots and marker’s with Freedom SL. I didn’t mix and match last year but this year will try the freedom with the dynafits.

Mix of split boards and tech bindings.

Grabbed a pair of these today:

Both my resort skis have WTR bindings and these should be stiff enough to ride in bounds if needed. Next decision is on bindings and if I want to get my Slant Ambushs remounted or to spend the cash on a dedicated touring ski.

cobrakai

Met Jenny Jones today at ski bartlett whilst getting my new bindings fitted. Nice lass. Posed for a picture so I could show it to the wife as I told her my wife’s the snowboarder of the family and huge fan.

Anyways, more Importantly, after 13 years it was time to give up on my garmont 75mm tellie boots and join the ntn crowd. Settled in Scott boots and ntn freestyle bindings.

Went straight to Hemel to try them out. Mixed reaction to be honest. Everything felt stiff. Legs, boots and bindings. Felt like a newbie all over again but I love the step in bindings and ski breaks, so no more bloody safety straps.

I know 13 years for a tellie boot will make them softer than cling film but I’m hoping the Scott’s (softest shell available) will loosen up.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Well the backcountry set up is coming together, got a storming deal on a set of 2017 Salomon Mtn labs today. Just need to find some bindings. Thinking Ion 12’s or similar.

Digby

Met Jenny Jones today at ski bartlett whilst getting my new bindings fitted

She is lovely isn’t she? and very funny! A great ambassador for UK Winter ‘Sports*’.

*I say ‘sports’ in the loosest sense … but then I generally think of skiing & snowboarding as a hobby or activity – or my obsession according to the missus! 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

getting whiter here in Åre. Bike park shut now , couple of months until the lift start turning again.

Anyone have a splitboard for sale, 159-163 ish?

bombjack
    Free Member

Finally able to contribute properly to a S&SB thread as I’m heading out to L2A for a week on the 3rd Feb. Having been a seasonaire and 2/3 weeks a season punter during my twenties I realised I hadn’t been on proper snow since before my eldest was born (8 yrs ago) and now I cannot wait.
    Any recommendations for runs / guides much appreciated 🙂

hammerite
    Free Member

Been to SHs’ ski fest night at Hemel. Bit too busy early on to get a decent run in, much better later on. Never been on a fattish ski, but loved the White Dot Preachers.

Jnr on the OH, predictably, loved the most expensive skis on test. The very pretty, custom made PFDs.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’ve been fairly lucky in that most of skis I’ve demoed I’ve not liked as much as the ones I have. The only ones I really liked a lot were DPS Wailer 112, but then I would, as they’re very very similar in profile to my Slants. I think that I’ve gained most of ski experience on fairly heavy, stiff ‘charging’ skis, anything that either isnt that or a total park style noodle just feels very wrong.

hammerite
    Free Member

We have little need for fatter skis unfortunately. My job means I’m stuck to going away on school holidays. At Christmas OP is virtually non existent and not much better at Easter. We don’t often go away at half term when conditions should be the most ideal. Although we’re probably going to be driving out more often in the van. So can take as many pairs of skis as I like!

The above being said, Hemel is hardly the ideal testing ground for them yet they still felt great.

DezB
    Free Member

can you actually buy them now?

grahamt1980

I love the idea but burton boots just don’t fit me that well.
    Won’t be long until other boot manufacturers pick it up if it takes off so will have to wait

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yes available now, although sold out until November! Patented so I guess it will take a while before others filter through. I’ll be getting them next season when my boots wear out and a year of reviews are in.

grahamt1980

It should still be worth them licensing the design for boots as it will only increase the numbers with the bindings over time.

Digby

Step on bindings are here!

I can’t help wondering whether they are a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist …

But I guess the winter-sports industry needs to keep ‘re-inventing’ itself.

igm

howsyourdad1 – Member

Doesn’t that statement come round about once every 5 years or so?

jimdubleyou

I can’t help wondering whether they are a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist …

The problem of sitting on your arse at the top of a slope in the freezing cold, trying to get that little strap into the doodad – I could go for an easy solution to that if I spent more than a week every two years on the slopes.

I used to love the convenience of Flow bindings, but they always seem loose compared to “normal” bindings.

scruff
    Free Member

I had some of the original Burton step ins, they weighed a ton and the hinge bits froze up.

igm

My name is igm and I’m a Flow user. It’s been 9 months since I last strapped in.

Fit me very well – I can’t get comfortable in traditional clicky strap bindings. So no need for step ins here.

But I have odd shaped feet.

colp

The newer Flow bindings are good, work as normal bindings too.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

RE Flow, no they don’t, they are less shit than they were, but they are still shit. Excuse my French.

The step on bindings basically mean more laps ,as far as I’m concerned. straight off the chairlifts, one footed, then clip/ stomp in and go. provided of course you don’t have to wait for your mate who hasn’t got them. more laps equals more snowboarding equals win.

the not sitting down isn’t really a problem as I always do it standing anyhow but I can see it being another benefit

Digby

The problem of sitting on your arse at the top of a slope in the freezing cold

You’ve still got one foot still strapped in right? from when you got off the lift?
    – Make a small ‘ledge’ in the snow with the board by using your leading foot that is still strapped into the board thus avoiding the need to get your bum cold sitting on the snow.

– Flick any snow out of rear binding with hand-in-glove.

– Pop your trailing foot into the rear binding

– ratchet up the toe and ankle strap and off you go!

It’s rare that you actually need to sit down. By staying standing you save time and avoid getting a clump of snow stuck on your butt cheeks.

#MaximumSteez

p.s. Flow Bindings = Slippers … comfortable but lacking in performance and can be a pain etc when full of powder … but if they work for you then that’s peachy!

nedrapier

Wot Digby sez iz true, but compare:

You’ve still got one foot still strapped in right? from when you got off the lift?
    – slide/scoot your way to beyond the flat if there is a flat area, find a spot where you’re out of the way, that’s got snow soft enough to make a small ‘ledge’ in.
    – Stop
    – Make a small ‘ledge’ in the snow with the board by using your leading foot that is still strapped into the board thus avoiding the need to get your bum cold sitting on the snow.

[optional if you can’t get a ‘ledge’ dug small enough
    – fall on your arse anyway after all that and push up onto your bard again]

– ratchet up the toe and ankle strap and off you go!

– slide/scoot your way to beyond the flat if there is a flat area, find a spot where you’re out of the way, that’s got snow soft enough to make a small ‘ledge’ in.
    – Stop

– ratchet up the toe and ankle strap and stomp your back foot in without losing a jot of speed off you go!

I’ve got strap bindings, but I can see the appeal of step-ins if the feel is good. But I don’t like burton boots, and there’s plenty of life in my Mission bindings. Can’t say the same about my sparks, but I’m even considering (whisper it!) hard boots for touring.

It’s very possible to strap in your back foot on the move, but you need the right slope to do it on.

Painey
    Free Member

I saw these step-in bindings a year ago. A decent idea, provided you don’t get ANY snow between the sole of your boot and the bindings. Because then they won’t click into place (if they do the connection between boot + binding must be very vague)

So on that basis it’s an instant no for me. Particularly as I like to ride off piste as much as possible.

Digby

Can’t say the same about my sparks,

What’s been the biggest wear & tear on your Sparks nedrapier?

I’m still on my original Spark Bindings from 2011 – although they are a bit ‘Triggers Broom’ as the Straps and Highbacks etc have all been replaced. 6 years of pretty heavy use is ok though I reckon!

I’m considering a pair of Spark R&D Surge bindings as a move away from the old pin system.

Hardboots eh? I’d be interested to know how that goes! … Will it only be a matter of time before you decide not to clip the two halves of the Splitboard back togther and buy some touring skis? 😉

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I saw these step-in bindings a year ago. A decent idea, provided you don’t get ANY snow between the sole of your boot and the bindings. Because then they won’t click into place (if they do the connection between boot + binding must be very vague)

So on that basis it’s an instant no for me. Particularly as I like to ride off piste as much as possible.

Well if we are willy waving I saw them 18 months ago, preliminary reviews were out then 😆 Snow build up is no more of a problem then regular bindings, I.e you can ride with it but it’s best to remove it. I also like riding off piste as much as possible. I imagine most people who snowboard do.

footflaps

I saw people using them last season….

colp

p.s. Flow Bindings = Slippers … comfortable but lacking in performance and can be a pain etc when full of powder … but if they work for you then that’s peachy!

That’s the older Flows, new ones can be used exactly like traditional bindings or step ins, so they’re fine in powder.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Most of the snowboarders I ski with take about as long to do their binding straps up as it takes me to put on my ski poles… ie not very long at all. None of them sit down and half the time they don’t even stop.

nedrapier

🙁

Chris Prior died on Sunday. Met him in Fernie on a demo tour and bought one of his demo PowSticks. It’s a beast. I’ll have to take it away with me this year and get some turns in for him. Big ones.

Rest in Powder, Chris Prior

Digby

Chris Prior died on Sunday. Met him in Fernie on a demo tour

Aye … sad news indeed 🙁

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Yeah, sad news. A well liked guy in Whistler. The quote from him at the end of the article above rings very true. RIP.

hammerite
    Free Member

Week in Schladders booked for half term. Just need to work out how we’ll get there, I want to drive, the OH isn’t so keen.

colp

Leogang tomorrow on the DH bikes, then Kitsteinhorn on the boards the day after. Last year they started the season passes earlier so October half term lets you have the best of both worlds.

Loveland opened yesterday, I had my first day this season today. Not too bad for October.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Found this while looking for something else. Had to share!

Digby

Found this while looking for something else. Had to share!

Thanks CFH!

Craig Kelly #LetItRide 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 1,108 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2017-2018 season’ is closed to new replies.