Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • the staggering arrogance of Dwain chambers
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Dwain Chambers is obviously a truly remarkable man. He may not win an Olympic Gold or come first in many things going forward. But this is a genuine first and gold medal use of the English (opps is that colonial?) language. To use the adjective in this context without the merest hint of a racist undertone is a truly remarkable achievement and for that I salute him. Can we award him a STW gold medal and nominate him for an MBE for services to non-prejudicial use of language? Such and inspiration to us all. Thank you Dwain.

[Not often I agree with you TJ 😉 so particularly nice to say, I think you are spot on here!]

[edit – I know he didn’t say the word, but agree that it is highly unlikely that he didn’t sanction its use]

Junkyard
    Free Member

i would read the actual thread first as it was his lawyer who said this stating it was his opinion twice whilst doing so. A point made numerous times by me and with links to the quotes etc by others.

Dont worry almost everyone else on this thread has not let the facts get in the way of some dwain bashing .

Yes we should give him the STW scapegoat award for being punished for what someone else says.
    EDIT: Nice edit BTW [ why to be fair you did when i was typing

Still i assume you can explain why the lawyer was as clumsy as say it was his opinion twice then? 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am sure that Dwain will do the honourable thing then JY and pass on the award with his thanks (and cheque for professional fees) – he’s that kind of guy!! 😉

[sorry JY it is annoying when edits happen X-post] I guess his lawyer is doubly talented. What a duo. Makes me even prouder.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Pretty sure a lawyer can work out the difference between in my opinion and my client feels.

“In my view as hosts for the 2012 Olympics, this delicate and emotive issue required international diplomacy, foresight and responsibility. What we have received has been a crude and defiant display fuelled by misguided statements such as ‘We have standards and the rest of the world doesn’t’.
    “It has in my view been an exposure of colonial arrogance that even the most extreme and blinkered should have realised could only serve to marginalise British opinion on the international stage.
    “In complete contrast WADA have in my view been the model of professionalism and dignity in the face of the most extreme provocation. Lessons should be learned by their example. Agha added: “Having not been party to the CAS case, Dwain and I will now need to take time to privately digest and consider the reasoning behind the decision.”

so in my opinion three times and one mention of Dwains view which he is clearly suggesting is unknown at present.
    it is a new high [low] in stw ignoring what was saod to have a rant about the guy they dont like

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Having to use “lawyers” speak regularly, “in my view’ is just a simple by-pass phrase it is not the ronseal of professional language!!!. But thanks for reposting JY, makes me even more confident that TJ was correct in his assessment. We can revel in being the low life of STW together – only a bit of fun though, in my view. 😉

So what’s yours TJ – a pint of 80′?

chewkw
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

2 rather obvious points to make in your stupid post.

Ignorant is bliss and the truth hurts doesn’t it? Are you an ignorant maggot or a maggot that thinks pesticide is good for you? Yes, pesticides and maggots …

1) Dow make more stuff than I care to even imagine (and I’ve worked for them on a project!) the shear number of pies they’ve got their fingers in is mind boggling! Would you rather they didn’t sell pesticides to poor farmers?

I used to sell product labels to Dow and Monsanto … and many more multinationals …

I would rather they stop or sell less of the pesticides to the farmers because of the environmental and health damage it would cause to the local community. Most 3rd world farmers will over use pesticide to the level that their produce will be dangerous for consumption but they do not know that. Obviously that is bad business for those chemical companies if the farmers understand the danger of pesticides because profit comes first. Local community? Sort that …

2) The last 2 are listed as ‘suppliers’ not ‘sponsors’, 8 million poeple drink thames water every day and aren’t dead. And GSK are more likely to be supplying toothpaste plasters and antiseptic than nandrolone and EPO.

Eerrrmmm … do they have to advertise themselves? So they supply water or medicine so what? Why put themselves in the same page as sponsors? Are they better than other water treatment companies or pharmaceutical companies? They have already monopolised the market so they want more?

🙄

nealglover
    Free Member

So you don’t thinkk it’s even possible that the “colonial arrogance” he was referring to was the quite obvious “colonial arrogance” that was displayed by the BOA in saying …..

“we have standards, and the rest of the world doesn’t”

It’s certainly the only “colonial arrogance” I can see.

But don’t let logic stop you.

Fill yer boots.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No that’s simple arrogance (some might say common sense?). The adjective ‘colonial’ adds a pejorative tone that has a long history with a well accepted meaning. He’s a lawyer and hardly likely to be stupid. Carefully thought out with words chosen precisely, in my view (of course).

On the second pint of 80′ now, just waiting for TJ! 😉

atlaz
    Free Member

funny, in any other walk of life, a rehabilitated drug addict/offender getting back into his career and doing well at it would be a success story.

Emsz – I’m not sure that the average thief or smack head has cheated their way to the top in the same way. There’s no reasonable parallel to any other walk of life where someone takes the “easy” way out, takes drugs and then somehow gets ahead of everyone else (Limitless being a film and not very good film at that).

I can easily understand how it becomes emotive for athletes in particular when they see someone who took money and results away from clean competitors and directly affected people’s success and livelihoods. On the other hand, the trader doing a couple of lines of coke of an evening when I worked in the city bothered me not at all.

nealglover
    Free Member

The adjective ‘colonial’ adds a pejorative tone that has a long history with a well accepted meaning.

I agree entirely.

And in the sense it was used, regarding “colonial arrogance” it refers to the fact that the BOA are arrogant enough to think we are better than everyone else.

As is displayed perfectly by the phrase ….

… We have standards, the rest of the world doesn’t

Seems to fit your description of the “accepted meaning” quite well don’t you think ?

chewkw
    Free Member

When a black guy uses “colonial” even by proxy …

Well, regardless of how you interpret this … the bottom line is that some of your ancestors enslaves some of his ancestors/race whatever. You might argue that it was a long time ago and that you have no such knowledge of the atrocities etc. i.e. not me or my ancestors, so not your fault etc.

I am afraid that is not the answer he wants to hear. The hatred is deep … very deep.

Imagine I enslave the entire population of STW with me as your master and step on you like a maggot … what will your descendants think of Dear Leader Junior eh?

I think you underestimated human nature by simply brushing history off. Once I asked my Irish colleague about Oliver Cromwell and guess what was her reply … yes, the bar-stewart … Surely it was history but why did she reply with such anger?

The moral of the story …

🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

He’s a lawyer and hardly likely to be stupid. Carefully thought out with words chosen precisely, in my view (of course)

Like in my opinion for example ?
    Are you comfortable over there obfuscating, pin dancing and applying double standards with TJ 😉
    and 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Neal – I am having a bit of fun, relax!

But to be serious, the word “arrogance” may be “displayed perfectly” by the highlighted phrase (although being colonial I would actually disagree!), and on its own would suffice to deliver the intended message. Lawyers are very correct with their language and colonial was inserted (unnecessarily) for a particular point to be made, in my view.

Not that it matters, DC will have the whole of UK fully behind him, including the BoA (in their opinion) 😉 Go Dwain, we will all be proud of you.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes JY, the 80′ is delicious, the seating very comfortable and the whole subject looks great through beer glasses. May I pour one for you?

Now where did I put that pin?

chewkw
    Free Member

In the modern world …

‘Colonial’ = bureaucrats = pen pushers = nosey buggers = nanny state. 😆

mefty
    Free Member

No that’s simple arrogance (some might say common sense?). The adjective ‘colonial’ adds a pejorative tone that has a long history with a well accepted meaning. He’s a lawyer and hardly likely to be stupid. Carefully thought out with words chosen precisely, in my view (of course).

What a load of pompous tripe, we have been accused of “colonial arrogance” in pretty much every country in the world, it is a particular favourite of the USA, so it is perfectly capable of being used in a non racially motivated context. Perhaps you are jumping to conclusions because it is being said by an asian? A number of international sporting bodies regard the UK sporting bodies as having an arrogant attitude because they feel we think we have a god given right to have our view held above anyone else’s. This, they believe probably rightly, stems from our codification of many sport during our “colonial” past. I can quite imagine that this phrase is thrown out quite a lot.

Therefore in the context it is a perfectly apposite choice of words – without necessary having racial overtones.

Finally, a lawyer is quite capable of having a view separate to his client, especially once the case is over, and indeed if it seems to be quite common for them to express them in high profile cases to ensure they generate publicity for themselves leading hopefully to more clients. Witness Charlotte Harris and Mark Lewis in the phone hacking cases.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I stand corrected mefty and take back my pompous tripe. I am convinced that given their shared histories and contexts that all nations use the word, “colonial” in exactly the same way. Makes a lot of sense….sorry TJ, we will have to cancel the beer!

edit: I assume as in the Suarez case, its all in the context, no? Not black and white.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mefty, sorry just retread my last post. Sarcasm was unnecessary, apologies. I only meant to have a bit of a giggle earlier. In truth, I think the words are open to interpretation. I had been having a laugh with some work earlier and it carried on here. It shouldnt have, sorry!

Stuey01
    Free Member

The race angle just doesn’t add up. The BOA have banned the nasty black man so all the white sprinters can go to the Olympics instead… Oh, wait…

mefty
    Free Member

I did not take it as sarcasm, I thought that the full weight of my argument was impossible to resist any longer, a first on this website – I am somewhat disappointed now.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘the staggering arrogance of Dwain chambers’ is closed to new replies.