• This topic has 44 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by rone.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • The saturated fat debate
  • rone

This one’s close to my heart (sorry) but the debate carries on with more info about the link or lack of link between saturated fat and Heart disease.

Backlash after report claims saturated fats do not increase heart risk

Heart arguments

I find it fascinating and frustrating that we are bombarded each day with new advice and counter advice. How the hell is anyone meant to know what is best?

BBC breakfast is the biggest culprit for churning this sort of data. And let’s not say a balanced diet as even that is difficult to interpret especially if you need plenty of protein etc.

I do hope the sat fat link does turn out to be insignificant as I like my beef dripping chips.

Personally I’ve given up caring, witnessing close people around me with bowel cancer after pretty immaculate diets – and considering pot-luck as the end game.

I’ve also got friends who change their diet every month to the latest fad and they’re still fat or suffering health issues.

So for me it’s lots of exercise and eat the stuff I like but go steady on the booze and sugar.

I say this as a high cholesterol individual that can’t seem to reduce it at all. No matter what.

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imJQinUiMcg[/video]

seadog101

These things are annoyingly confusing, especially as people will think that they are doing the best for themself if they do 22mins of walking. Not 21, and 23 is over doing it.

Diet and exercise effect different people in different ways.

wallop

Cholesterol is hormonal, isn’t it? Rather than a direct effect of your diet.

chevychase

Follow the advice given by Public Health England. They’re the *only* ones who follow the actual science. Everything else quoting “science” quotes selectively.

The “debate” is a natural consequence of scientific method and a retarded press environment and profiteering companies (and internet sites).

Current science says keep to low saturated fats, *complex* carbs, smallish levels of “good” fats (olive oil etc, but not massive amounts) and lots of veg.

So. No change then. Dead easy.

Only eat *real* food. I.E. Lots of veg & meat & fish that you’ve cooked yourself and hasn’t been touched by a company anywhere. It’s pretty easy…

cynic-al
    Free Member

especially if you need plenty of protein

I thought it was well established that no one does?

chevychase – Member

Follow the advice given by Public Health England
    Was it them that made up the alcohol limits? Then changed them to new made up ones?

scotroutes

I think they also made up the whole 5-a-day thing.

steezysix
    Free Member

Oh, I thought this was going to be another thread about the fat bike “bubble”… 🙂

I don’t know a huge amount about this subject, but I while ago I listened to a very interesting discussion about fats vs. sugars which made me think about my diet a lot more: Joe Rogan Podacst

Obviously it’s just people’s opinions but I thought it made a lot sense.
    Now excuse me while I adjust my tinfoil hat…

somafunk

^ Dr Rhonda Patrick – Found My Fitness podcast is also quite good, she’s been on Joe Rogans podcast a few times, Other worthwhile podcasts are Ben Greenfield Fitness podcast, Bulletproof Radio podcast, We Do Science-The Guru Performance Podcast.

rone

olive oil etc, but not massive amounts) and lots of veg

I thought olive oil was ‘bad’ to cook with?

rone

I thought it was well established that no one does?

Really? I though people breaking down muscle benefited?

This is exactly what I mean.

No on knows anything any more 🙂

Cougar

It’s poor for frying as it starts to break down at a relatively low temperature compared to other cooking oils. Five minutes walking round a Mediterranean city will tell you whether it’s unhealthy or not.

ton

simple explanation,
    when I eat carbs I am a fat bastard.
    when I don’t eat carbs, but eat more fat and protein, I am less of a fat bastard.

FACT

woody2000

It’s bad to fry with as it burns easily, but it’s good in small amounts on salads etc

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

There was an interesting Michael Mosley prog about this …
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33675975

woody2000

^^ see, none of us know owt! 🙂

chevychase

I don’t get why people have a problem with “advice that changes”.

Actually – I do get it. Ignorance is the culprit.

Our understanding *develops over time* – and science takes a long time to do – especially on humans who live long lives, and dietary advice given 20 years ago may only start to show effects today – on people who live lives and eat/smoke/drink/exercise very differently from other people. So it’s *difficult*.

Add into that mix a load of companies / individuals who like to make money off people’s want to “do the right thing” but who are uncertain then it’s very hard.

Official advice is the “best we know about *at the moment*”. But, hey, follow what some quack says. It’s your life after all. Just don’t get pissy because official advice changes over time. Because it should…

slowoldman

…and now it’s nine.

richmars

Only eat *real* food. I.E. Lots of veg & meat & fish that you’ve cooked yourself and hasn’t been touched by a company anywhere. It’s pretty easy…

Is this from Public Health England?

D0NK

…and now it’s nine. i thought it was always way more than 5 but they picked a seemingly achievable number, to prevent the “damn I had a chocolate button, now the diet is ruined, **** it I’m having curry, chips and a deep fried marsbar for tea” crew

BigJohn

Mrs BigJohn was told that coconut oil was “good for you”. Looking at the label it’s the most saturated of all fats.

rone

I don’t get why people have a problem with “advice that changes”.

Fair enough, but it’s the fact that things go back and forth. And maybe info should come with a little bit more hesitancy.

Also you’ve got to come down on a side somewhere so, currently if pushed would you say saturated fat is as bad as initially thought or not as bad as initially thought?

rone

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33675975

That link is hilarious. Exactly the opposite of what I was led to believe.

Lard is good!

somafunk

Mrs BigJohn was told that coconut oil was “good for you”. Looking at the label it’s the most saturated of all fats.

Unprocessed cold pressed coconut oil is good for you.

chevychase

@Rone – I don’t have to come down on any “side”. I can simply say “I don’t know – but these are the guidelines, that are subject to change and better people than me are looking at it in more depth whilst I go to work…”.

And being a puritanical prick I already eat generally to those guidelines. Lean meats, lots and *lots* of veg. Fish a couple of times a week. Veggie one or two days. Never, ever, any processed food.

I do go nuts at the weekend in terms of volume, but never compromise on quality. But I do eat like a horse. 🙂

GavinT
    Free Member

To agree with some of the points already made – I think the most important thing is to cook your own food from basic ingredients and avoid all processed crap.

Then – cut down sugar as much as possible.

And then, depending on what works for you, consider cutting down carbs. This does work for me and I’m lighter and more energetic when I keep my carb intake on the low side. Not necessarily for everyone though.

GavinT
    Free Member

Oh, for frying I would use Ghee, Coconut oil or Lard – depending on what I was cooking. Maybe olive oil if not using too high a heat.

chewkw
    Free Member

I have switched to KTC pure coconut oil from Tesco …

They taste fine (no different in taste from other oil) but you may need to get use to them if you have not used them before.

Of all the normal oil (not the expensive organic stuff) available coconut oil is still the best for me.

😛

ransos
    Free Member

Contemporary advice about reducing dietary fat to prevent heart disease dates back to flawed studies started by Ancel Keys in the 1950s. In fact, there is a much closer correlation with increased consumption of sugar.

vickypea
    Free Member

I generally go with everything in moderation, except for processed foods which I try to keep to a minimum. I mostly avoid bacon, sausages, ready meals, skimmed milk and all other diet foods.

shermer75
    Free Member

Why avoid bacon and skimmed milk? Me no understandee..

cinnamon_girl
    rone

@Rone – I don’t have to come down on any “side”. I can simply say “I don’t know – but these are the guidelines, that are subject to change and better people than me are looking at it in more depth whilst I go to work…”.

I know you don’t *have to*. But can you see my dilemma over saturated fat? You could offer up an opinion on whether you think it’s worse or better than initially thought? You said yourself information changes. So where do we stand currently?

Also i agree on the processed food completely. But canned tomatoes are processed and don’t look to be bad do they? Milk is processed unless raw, etc.

mikey74
    Free Member

Does it really matter? Or are you wanting to use the advice as an excuse to over-indulge in highly fatty foods?

Just ignore the advice and get on with life on the basis of all things in moderation.

chakaping
    Free Member

I agree with mikey and checychase.

The possibility that saturated fat isn’t quite the bogeyman it was once portrayed as doesn’t particularly make me want to stuff my face with lard and cream cakes.

I’ll just carry on cooking from scratch, eating loads of veg, fish & lean meat and not fretting too much about having the odd sausage sandwich or ice cream.

Also i agree on the processed food completely. But canned tomatoes are processed and don’t look to be bad do they? Milk is processed unless raw, etc.

When people slag off processed food I usually take it to mean stuff that has lots of salt & sugar added for taste – not any food which isn’t in a wholly natural state.

rone

Does it really matter? Or are you wanting to use the advice as an excuse to over-indulge in highly fatty foods?

I would genuinely like it to be that Saturated fats aren’t as bad as intially thought and sugar perhaps is a bit worse. If that’s the case it suits my diet better as I like all things dairy/meat/beef drip chips and not particularly bothered about sugary stuff. Also I could start to get a fix on my high cholesterol which I even my doc says is likely genetic. Can’t help being interested in the state of food really.

Moderation means nothing to me. I don’t understand that as any sort of a barometer. What is moderate to one person is gluttony to others.

Like a lot of cyclists , 12+ hours a week makes me hungry.

imnotverygood

Unfortunately this study is another one in a long line where certain experts get a bee in their bonnet about a topic, for whatever reason, & just selectively choose the evidence to support their case. I end up just trusting my wife, who is a doctor, who rolled her eyes on this one. Sadly I think it is the case that you need some sort of understanding of the subject to sort out the rogue operators

Stedlocks
    Free Member

A little of what you fancy, etc….. I personally take note of my general wellbeing. Without sounding like a ponce, if my tits start wobbling, I excercise a bit more and eat a bit less…..

It’s a simple maths thing

vickypea
    Free Member

Sorry, I didn’t have time to explain what I meant by “processed food” the other day. I’m not a fan of fad diets so I didn’t mean things like tinned tomatoes or frozen peas.
    What I meant was processed meat- there’s pretty good evidence that it’s harmful when eaten regularly. Also things like glucose-fructose syrup, diet drinks, and other diet foods where the fat has been removed but replaced with cheap fillers.
    As for skimmed milk, I think it tastes rank, and the calcium in it cannot be absorbed properly. Calcium absorption needs vitamin D, which is fat soluble. If you remove the fat you can’t absorb the calcium properly – even if you supplement the milk with vitamin D, it doesn’t make up for the lack of fat.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘The saturated fat debate’ is closed to new replies.