Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • The perfect UK trail bike?
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Transition Bandit.

Hell yes.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

We’ve got a great video inside of Transition’s own Kyle Young getting rad on the new bike

🙄

racefaceec90

for me it is my anthem x2.i could ride it anywhere in uk (obviously within reason)but for the riding i do it is perfect. 😀

ashfanman
    Free Member

We’ve got a great video inside of Transition’s own Kyle Young getting rad on the new bike

Yeah, okay, but ignore all that and it looks pretty interesting. 130mm travel, 68 degree HA, 130x10mm real axle, reasonable frame weight…

Carpediem
    Free Member

This: http://www.stuffwelove.co.uk/images/grifter.jpg

Where it all started back in the late 70’s . . . well for me anyway!

ftr1873
    Free Member

Are you daring to suggest an Orange 5 is NOT the ideal UK trail bike? You might need to go into hiding!! 🙂

cookeaa

… it looks pretty interesting. 130mm travel, 68 degree HA, 130x10mm real axle, reasonable frame weight…

Hmmm, pretty generic when described like that really isn’t it…
    You could be describing any one of about 40 odd bikes currently targeted at the “IT management/Semi-Radcore/quarter fat Latte please/Yes I am growing a Goatee” MTB Fad segment…

It’s a slightly less over-built Bottle rocket with an extra inch of travel… Groundbreaking stuff 🙄

crispedwheel
    Free Member

The perfect UK trail bike?

130mm travel steel hardtail.

peachos
    Free Member

looks right. you know how much?

Shandy
    Free Member

“A lot of people will be asking why we have entered this category”

££££££££

scaredypants

looks like a wild hare from about 1999 to me (they were nice though)

andy7t2
    Free Member

there’s no perfect bike for the trail just a perfect trail for the bike your riding

cynic-al
    Free Member

Same as an 03 Heckler…

doris
    Free Member

It’s a slightly less over-built Bottle rocket with an extra inch of travel… Groundbreaking stuff

not really, a bottle rocket is a 140mm travel overbuilt “slopestyle” bike that can happily take a ton of abuse. Where as the bike above is transitions XC full suss bike with slightly slack head angle and 120mm of travel, that will probably be slightly over built as that is a transition the bike company theme.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

regressive suspension? Do they mean this? Falling rate / opposite of progressive?

shepleg
    Free Member

Like Digressive but better 😀

cookeaa

I stand corrected last time I looked at a Bottle rocket was a 4″ mini Gnarr bouncer, it’s gained some travel but there we go…

Point still stands though the “Bandit” is pretty generic IT crowd bouncer… Not likely to set the world alight…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

all these different axle standards is getting crazy
    However dear boy, 142mm x 12mm (X-12) rear axle is the future, 130×10 (i presume you meant 135×10) will be phased out next year. 😉

epicyclo

On-One seem to have it nailed IMO

chakaping
    Free Member

I want a bike with transgressive suspension.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

(Probably a Cove I imagine)

kimbers

nope i think youll find my bike is what you are talking about

qwerty
    Free Member

ETT a tad short for the STW FR gnar core AM trail centre massives short stem combo innit

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i quite like that transition actually 😳

JonR
    Free Member

It just looks like a Chumba VF2 to me only without the sexy rear triangle.

invercyclist
    Free Member

Where it all started back in the late 70’s . . . well for me anyway!

😆 Brought back memories…The Grifter

GaryLake
    Free Member

Cookeaa: I think you’re confusing the bottlerocket with the Transition Double perhaps?

stooo
    Free Member

I think it looks nice too.

cookeaa

I’m sure when it first apeared it was a shorter travel rough and tumble machine, is/was the “Double” the one I’m thinking of?

Either way Short/no rear end travel Gnarr is where it’s at in my book, none of this talent compensation bollocks… 😉

atlaz
    Free Member

I like it, but I’d still have had a covert over that if I was buying a Transition becauseI sold my Trance as I wanted to have a bit more travel.

si-wilson
    Free Member

It just looks like a Chumba VF2 to me only without the sexy rear triangle.

And also without the horst link 😉

poppa
    Free Member

Anyone got any digressive biscuits?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

It looks ok, sure it’s fine, but it’s not the messiah I don’t think. Looks are a little underwhelming, but then I really don’t like the Specialized thing they’ve got going on at the front; where the top and down tubes are practically parallel should be boxed, would improve the looks a lot.

Not convinced by the faux-bar arrangement though, it’s just an over-complicated single pivot innit? Looks like a bike that will sell more on marketing (Look at our TR450, here’s one you can afford) than on ability.

Maybe it looks better in different colours and maybe it rides better than it’s looks suggest, we shall see….

poppa
    Free Member

…but it’s not the messiah I don’t think.

So is it the messiah or isn’t it?!

Sorry. Bad day at the office.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I don’t think it is. I can’t say any more definitively than that.

ashfanman
    Free Member

It’s not the messiah, it’s a very naughty bike.

Not groundbreaking, perhaps, but just what I’ve been looking for.

Pook

Is he having an endoscopy while riding? Now that’s a talent.

ratherbeintobago

To play devil’s advocate, do you need more than 100mm travel for the overwhelming majority of UK trail riding?

Andy

(DOI – ride a 100mm HT, which seems to be fine for most things round here)

jedi

nice

toys19
    Free Member

IT’s not a case of need is it. Lets face it we all do this because of desire.

nicko74

Another vote for 130mm hardtail as ‘the perfect UK trail bike’. I accept that rear suspension bushing and bearing sealing has improved in recent years, but really, think about that Peak District Paste (TM), or the ability of south wales mud to churn through anything that wears.
    SS is overkill (there are some gnarr climbs out there), but on the whole a hardtail’ll do everything you need for the UK with the right compromise of abilities and maintenance.

[puts soapbox away again and sneaks off]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘The perfect UK trail bike?’ is closed to new replies.