Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)
  • Right. You'd best all sit down – it's an Elfinsafety rant. Get the kettle on.
  • iDave
    Free Member

zokes
    Free Member

Id wager a bet of £3.20 that Elfinfredpaddedbradibhah will be banned (again) in the not too distant future…..

I truly hope so.

In the mean time, what do you want them to do? Build you a bridge? If you’re so **** ace, just build one yourself. It’s shut because it might cave in – seems reasonable to me. Just a pity they didn’t shut it whilst you were inside.

Have you ever wondered why so many people on here give you responses such as this? Noone else seems to manage to get anywhere near close to the same level of public dislike. Perhaps you should maybe think about that?

DavidB
    Free Member

Perhaps you should maybe think about that?

I think he thraps over it 😉

Cougar

To be fair,

He does have a point. Ok, £3.20 isn’t the end of the world, but if the council’s closed a public right of way then they’ve acted illegally. If that was your daily work commute, it’d be over a hundred quid a month.

Kicking off on the ferry’s just retarded though – it’s hardly the ferry company’s fault. Keep your receipts.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I truly hope so.

Really? Why? Because I post views different to yours?

Have you ever wondered why so many people on here give you responses such as this? Noone else seems to manage to get anywhere near close to the same level of public dislike. Perhaps you should maybe think about that?

Seems to me to be a small minority of people on here, tbh. Why not talk to someone who’s actually met me, Zokes? You in particular seem to harbour a great deal of resentment towards me. I don’t really know why. Maybe if you actually explained why, then I could understand, and possibly moderate my behaviour on here accordingly, if appropriate.

Just a pity they didn’t shut it whilst you were inside.

Nice. I love you too sweetheart. 😉

X

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yet another Elfinspotty rant losing the original subject and drifting into elfin trying to get cute with people who think he’s a prat….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ok, £3.20 isn’t the end of the world, but if the council’s closed a public right of way then they’ve acted illegally. If that was your daily work commute, it’d be over a hundred quid a month.

Kicking off on the ferry’s just retarded though – it’s hardly the ferry company’s fault. Keep your receipts.

Ah, someone reasonable who understands my point…

The fact that there is the infrastructure to run a free ferry service yet Greenwich Council have failed to provide one, shows how low-priority cycling really is, despite loads of populist publicity claiming to ‘promote’ cycling. I think the anger and frustration from cyclists is more than justified. The ‘kicking off’ was simply a group of about 7 or 8 cyclists who refused to pay, citing the ‘Right of Way’ thing. Maybe not legally valid on the River Bus, and they did state their beef wasn’t with the boat staff, but understandable. TBH the boat staff were pretty decent about it, and sympathised. Apparently Thames Clippers are willing to provide a service to cyclists, but Greenwich Council won’t cover the costs.

Pedestrians are well catered for, with the DLR service which costs about £1.50, although they too are entitled to the RoW. It’s just that cyclists are unfairly penalised in this situation.

I have no problem with the fact that the tunnel needs renovating. I have no problem with the fact that this will cause some inconvenience. I do have a problem with a local authority’s uselessness at providing a reasonable alternative, as is their legal obligation. As I’ve already stated.

Spoke to some regular commuters who were proper annoyed with this. A week of using the River Bus comes to £32, or £28 with an Oyster card (din’t have sufficient credit on mine. Doh!). So, £28 to £32 a week more because a local authority is effectively breaking the Law.

Not on really is it?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Not really on if the tunnel caved in either due to neglect. As far as I knew the local authorities HAD laid on an alternative, an 8 mile detour?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If it was you personally, affected in this way, perhaps you’d think differently.

An alternative must be ‘reasonable’. And 8-mile detour, for a 400 meter journey, isn’t. Not when there is the option of a ferry. Read what I’ve posted.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I did read what you posted. What did you honestly want the council to do? If they used public money up to fund a ferry to cross 400meters of water there would be a huge outcry at the waste of funds. Not to mention the impact on the environent and pollution. You need to think of the bigger picture.

zokes
    Free Member

But don’t you understand catflees, when it’s him, as opposed to everyone else, the money must be spent on mr paddedbradattentionwhore. When it’s everyone else, it would be a waste of tax payers’ money.

Seems to me to be a small minority of people on here, tbh.

Blind as well as stupid. Well I never…

I can’t think of anyone else who’s been banned as many times as you, so you’re clearly doing something wrong that us ‘small minority’ aren’t

Cougar

Outcry or no, they are legally obliged to provide an alternative. They are breaking the law in failing to do so.

A replacement ferry service wouldn’t be cheap, no, but in the terms of how much tunnel renovations must cost, it’s probably a drop in the river in relative terms.

In the interests of balance though, as a Northerner, can I fulfil my obligations to make some sort of irrelevant “Londoners mildly inconvenienced, film at 11” comment? (-:

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Okay, I too would be a bit peeved if I was suddenly faced with paying an extra £28 a month or an additional 40 mins to an hour on my daily commute.
    I presume the solution you’re looking for is a subsidy from the local council?

Have been trying to think of similar situations that other people on here may have faced. Obviously loads of people will disagree with me but….

Weren’t the seven bridges closed on a couple of occasions earlier this year due to the danger of ice, that had frozen on the cables, falling on to the bridge? Now if my commute involved going over that bridge at that time and I suddenly had to start driving all the way to Ross-on-Wye, again I’d be a bit pissed about it.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Sure, they haven’t laid on a ferry but it’s not as if you can’t get from a – b. The tunnel is a convince not a neccesity, public right of way or not it’s not depended upon as the only route.

psychle
    Free Member

The ferry already exists, it’s not like they’d have to run a new one would they? All they need to do is subsidise the £3.20 for those who usually use the foot tunnel (local residents I guess)? Seems fair enough, you pay your council tax etc, and as others have pointed out, it is breaking the law what they’re doing and getting away with…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

But don’t you understand catflees, when it’s him, as opposed to everyone else, the money must be spent on mr paddedbradattentionwhore. When it’s everyone else, it would be a waste of tax payers’ money.

Ok Zokes. Calm yerself down.

The Greenwich Foot Tunnel is used by well over a million people each year. So, it doesn’t just affect me, then. Have you ever been to London? It’s a big old place. Millions of people live here. Thousands of people use teh Tunnel each day. People who pay their taxes, and Council taxes. People who are also legally entitled to use a RoW. Bearing in mind that many people who uses the tunnel each day work in Canary Wharf, a place important in terms of the entire UK economy. So, this is a little bit bigger an issue than a ‘slight inconvenience to a few locals’.

You need to think of the bigger picture.

Erm, I have. Maybe you do.

so you’re clearly doing something wrong that us ‘small minority’ aren’t

Get over yourself mate, seriously. You can always ignore my posts if they upset you so much. It’s not that difficult.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Greenwich to Woolwich is no where near 5 miles

3.4 miles http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=King+William+Walk%2FA206&daddr=A206&geocode=FYaNEQMd-t3__w%3BFT68EQMdIO4AAA&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=13&sll=51.48638,0.028155&sspn=0.08156,0.141277&ie=UTF8&z=13

At least you’re correct about tower bridge.

Rotherhide tunnel is not too bad either as it’s 20 mph speed limit and has a pavement if you really want.

psychle
    Free Member

each way though… and they’re shit roads from memory…

TheBrick
    Free Member

No worse that heading to central London tbh plus on the North side you get to ride along Factory road next to the Tate and Lyle factory and past the excellent Chinese super market (much better than the one Nr Telly tubby Sainsbury’s). Yum yum!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Greenwich to Woolwich is no where near 5 miles

It is via the quieter and much safer cycle friendly route.

Greenwich to CW is over 8 miles via the Woolwich ferry. And 7 via Tower Bridge. And that’s via busy, dangerous roads. Cycle friendly routes add a bit on.

Rotherhithe Tunnel is unviable because it’s bloody dangerous and the air is poisonous down there. Only the very brave or very stupid cycle through there.

As mentioned several times now; everything’s in place to run a ferry service. Greenwich Council even promised this. It hasn’t happened. Unacceptable imo.

Wunundred! Woohoo! 😀

CountZero

I’m totally with elfin on this one. An enforced 7-8 mile extra on my daily commute, or £28-32 that I can Ill-afford would really pi55 me off too, when the local authority’s obliged to sort out an alternative convenient route. There are many sniping at elf about a ‘little’ detour on a bike, but there are many who would find that extra distance on a cheap shopper almost impossible, or taking over an hour each day: and that’s one way. Zones, perhaps if someone took away your chauffeur driven limo and made you walk eight miles you might have a better perspective.

redthunder
    Free Member

So..

It’s £5.50 on the Severn Bridge for a car.

🙁

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah, but how much for a pedestrian or cyclist?

IanB
    Free Member

Peds/ bikes free on the old Severn bridge only, but if it’s shut it’s a blooming long way round via Gloucester…

Seriously though, I agree with your point about the authority not meeting it’s responsibilities. But, on the up-side, though, 8 miles extra each day will keep you nice and fit 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No, I will get it back! 😈

ivixxiv
    Free Member

No, I will get it back!

[Mod-Play nice now. Elfin is right you’ve only bothered to post in here to have a go at him, behave.]

redthunder
    Free Member

Free for cycles and motorbikes.

Apparently the designer of bridge insisted that push bikes and motorbikes would always cross for free. He was quite keen for two wheelers.

and I’ve crossed the bridge when it was closed to car traffic. Can be a bit scarey in 80+ winds.

Unfortunatly the new bridge has no foot or cyclepath. Bit lame that 🙁

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Unfortunatly the new bridge has no foot or cyclepath. Bit lame that

That is a bit crap actually. The QE2 bridge at Dartford at least has a landrover bike ferry service! 😀

Which is good, because I wouldn’t want to ride over that scary mutha!

brakes
    Free Member

did you know photography is banned in the tunnels?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah, but the tourists all ignore it!

something to do with the possibility of a flashgun triggering an epileptic fit in someone, so not unreasonable.

brakes
    Free Member

are peanuts banned too? just in case someone is allergic?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Peanuts??

Not sure. Possibly. 😆

I think the epilepsy thing is reasonable. Don’t know much about the condition, but I’d imagine that if someone were to suffer a fit down there, it might be problematic for the emergency crews to get to them quickly. It does seem a little ‘health and safety gone mad’, but I spose someone more knowledgeable on these matters than I has sat down and thought it through.

RustySpanner

If you HAVE to use the ferry again Elf, try and get your money’s worth at least:

Wear your Liverpool shirt, adopt an American accent and loudly complain to all the locals that the Mersey seems smaller than it did on the TV ‘back home’ whilst asking for directions to John Lennon’s house/The Cavern Club.

Alternatively, perhaps you and the Wopster could recreate a scene from one of the 90’s most popular movies?

Pieface

I do wonder whether the people who consistently draw attention to themsleves on internet forums have a mild form of ADHD or something

cinnamon_girl

Dare I suggest that everyone has that, to a greater or lesser degree?

Otherwise, forums would not exist no?

Pieface

So TFL (or whoever) had years to plan what to do, so did the OP.

Guess it makes a good story

or maybe not

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pieface; I freely admit to being an attention seeker. Working on my own means I often become starved of human contact, so this place compensates. I do actually know several people off here in real life too, so it’s not that bad! 🙂

I agree with CG, too. Why are we using an internet forum, if we don’t want attention of some kind?!?!

ADHD? Well, I’m told by those that know about such things that I display many of the common ‘symptoms’, and it’s reckoned I’d be diagnosed with the ‘condition’ were I of school age now. They din’t have such a thing when I were a lad. I just got in trouble a lot for being disruptive…

The purpose of this thread was to try to discuss an issue that affects cyclists, in an entertaining manner. I find it a bit sad that some folk have been very negative, and one or two quite nasty, but hey ho. That’s the internet for you.

Rusty Spanner; d’you think he’ll like me more if I wore a pretty frock? 😀

‘Aaaaaannnndd IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII will allways love yoooouuuuuu….’

Eh? Oh, hang on….

Pieface

Hairy muff, my response is tainted by previous experience of other discussions. I’ll give you the benefit of doubt on this one and agree that they should’ve anticipated this years in advance and you should have had a free passage across the river.

I’m off to bed, so sleep well all.

RustySpanner

Rusty Spanner; d’you think he’ll like me more if I wore a pretty frock?

Possibly Elf, it could be the beginning of something beautiful.

I agree with CG as well. I never ceased to be amused by someone taking the time to call someone else an attention whore on an internet forum 😀

CountZero

I could quite see c_g and elf doing the whole Titanic thing on the bow of the ferry across the Thames. Elf and Woppit on the other hand…
    …anyone got any Milk Of Magnesia?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Right. You'd best all sit down – it's an Elfinsafety rant. Get the kettle on.’ is closed to new replies.