• This topic has 62 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • The Olympics, is it just me…
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well said, mortuk. +1

hilldodger
    Free Member

But I cannot wait for it to start. Yes I’m gutted I can’t go, despite living less than an hour away on a mainline train link. Cynicism of what the Olympics is today, does not mean a lack of support or respect for our competitors

😀

Yes, and despite not getting any tickets I’m still going to “go”, if only to see the venues, the crowds, the tacky souveniers, watch some events on a big screen, eat some overpriced junk food and get robbed by roving gangs of eastern european pick-pockets – yeah, the whole damn Olympic experience…….

Bimbler
    Free Member

vinnyeh

flange
    Free Member

Cynicism of what the Olympics is today, does not mean a lack of support or respect for our competitors.

This x 1000000

I can’t stand the whole Olympic circus thing, its a farce and vulgar in the way money has been spent. Distribution of tickets, sponsorship, building of pointless facilities…the list is endless.

however, I’m in full support of anyone that commits full time to training for an Olympic sport, regardless of whether its cycling or something I have no interest in.

kimbers

i think what flange and the others are saying is true for anyone here

us amateur athletes 😉 know much dedication it takes to excel in sport

its just the politics/greed/corporate bs/scandalous waste of public finances/smugness of lord coe that everyone finds so offensive

crispo
    Free Member

I am excited about it.

Going down next friday to stay with friends who live in Stratford. You can see the stadium from their roof so we are going up there to watch the fireworks.
    Got some park tickets for saturday so will go in and just take in the park as a whole and all the different venues look pretty impressive.

I dont think we will see the Olympics back here in my life time so might as well make the most of it!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Given all the **** going on with G4S etc, I was amazed at how chilled Coe looked the other night and that he had time to go out jogging (apologies for the name drop, but it shocked us all at the time!). He looked such more relaxed than poor Hugh Bonneville. I hope Hugh’s foot recovers in time, he seems really stressed 😉

rOcKeTdOg

i’d rather have kept my taxes and not have it, or as its the “London” olympics, just the Londoners could have paid for it

chewkw
    Free Member

Let’s congratulate each other for a job well done …

teamhurtmore – Member

Given all the **** going on with G4S etc, I was amazed at how chilled Coe looked the other night and that he had time to go out jogging (apologies for the name drop, but it shocked us all at the time!).

Yes, he is chilled because its quids in for him after this. He will retire once it’s over. Now all he has to do is spin. 🙄

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I suspect whatever was done there would still be miserable f’ers in here whinging about it.

Perhaps you should go ride you bike or something

Perhaps you should’nt read what’s not there.

I’m not whinging. Even though I won’t be following much of the games (prefer watching winter sports) & I can’t see it benefiting many other parts of the country, I really want to see it go down as an event to rival any others & show the world that that this country can do it. Unfortunately I don’t think it’s gonna turn out like that.
    Hope I’m wrong.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Perhaps you should go ride you bike or something

Maybe we all should.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Well.i.am

BristolPablo
    Free Member

its going to be awesome, i’m sure when we start wining some medals the doubters will get on board and start enjoying it. We were in London for the Aviva Grand Prix at Crystal Palace last weekend and the general atmosphere was awesome, multiply that by four and the Olympic Stadium will be electric.

I dont get the issues about corporate sponsorship as its been going on for donkeys years, Carlsberg were the offical beer of the 1960 Olympics and Coca-Cola pretty much bought the 1996 Olympics for Atlanta.

Sure there are some things that can be mitigated but never totally eliminated, like terrorist attacks etc but to be honest, in this day and age they would happen wherever the event is held and I personally think that GB is probably one of the best Countries in the world to be in a position to prevent such actions affecting the event.

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

Rocketdog,

How much tax have you paid for the olympics?

Me. A mars bar a week for a few years. Im a dirty londoner (I whispered that).

With regard to the whole sham of the olympics, When your living right around it I can agree that the money thrown at the thing is a bit shameful, however, Im sure there will be a sporting legacy. Facilities in this part of London are still woeful for the average person. I will say though that most who live here (kids in particular) are distinctly below average if you look at standards of living. The olympics has provided much needed facilities as offshoots (call it bribes if you will)for local kids, many of whom dont have a lot to begin with.

Just yesterday I heard a guy (on the radio) talking about the legacy from the games and facilities in sheffield 20 years ago which are paying dividends now. Im sure you would have moaned about that one at the time too.

In a society which is slowly crawling (or sitting) to an obese early death, the inspiration which this games will bring wont necesarilly affect you as your probably fit and active already .But for kids and young adults (even adults) to get involved in activity let alone sport the net spend is going to seem like peanuts in years to come.

Anyway, back to the original question. How much tax did you pay yourself?

tata.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Facilities in this part of London are still woeful for the average person. I will say though that most who live here (kids in particular) are distinctly below average if you look at standards of living.

I thought they’d all been moved out.

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

Newham, Tower Hamlets, Greenwich. All pretty hard up boroughs of london.

As for moving them out. Im sure the towns the offer was made to very politely refused.

If your talking about wartime refugees though. They sent them back.

Fair enough those who think its a waste of money, everyone to their own. What i do find quite amusing however is the thought that the IOC would have chosen the Manchester olympics or the Birmigham olympics or the Edinburgh olympics. If its in the UK it had to be in London.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Greenwich is hard up? really?
    Didn’t know that one

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

http://www.londonspovertyprofile.org.uk/

Have a look.

Not as hard up as newham and tower hamlets but it aint surrey either.

As with all london boroughs rich and poor live cheek by jowl. Greenwich centre is pretty well off, but carry on East or South and its not quite as gentrified.

Still doesnt change the fact that the impact of the olympics will be positive. As expensive as it has been im sure it could have been a lot more. Temporary venues for certain events im sure have save a few quid.

Really interested to know how much “tax” the average uk taxpayer has been robbed though?

brooess
    Free Member

Some Olympic style-negativity on here! Anyone can do that 🙄

I was chatting to one of yesterday’s torch bearers earlier on (I work for one of the main sponsors) and said the enthusiasm of the public who turned up to cheer them on was overwhelming.

I think London’s going to be amazing for the next few weeks, and riding into work instead of tube and train will get me dead fit 🙂

Our sports people need some support. We stand a good chance of tearing the cycling apart in every discipline…

Not sure why we can’t enjoy the party while it’s on and celebrate some British world-class success

SamCooke
    Free Member

Our sports people need some support. We stand a good chance of tearing the cycling apart in every discipline…

Not sure why we can’t enjoy the party while it’s on and celebrate some British world-class success

Because some of us aren’t as inited as the others and the dress code is a bit restrictive

chewkw
    Free Member

brooess – Member

I was chatting to one of yesterday’s torch bearers earlier on (I work for one of the main sponsors) and said the enthusiasm of the public who turned up to cheer them on was overwhelming.

Yes, but the person is only seeing what the person wants to see … no matter how much it’s still a tiny portion of the population.

grum
    Free Member

I’m going to enjoy some of the sport – that doesn’t stop a lot of the rest of it being incredibly badly handled and fairly disgraceful TBH.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘The Olympics, is it just me…’ is closed to new replies.