• This topic has 104 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • why are motorists so impatient to overtake ,(dangerously)
  • project
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RRa8ZdUm0U[/video]

and

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7T6FR_Kgqw[/video]

A few seconds wait and the road goes straight ahead, plenty of room to overtake, its not as if they have are on a life saving drive to asda, for food and beer.

Let us hope the Pickfords driver and the Lndrover driver are aware of the many special offers at Spec savers etc.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I had one on Friday, where I was actually being held up by a car in front, on a single lane road, the car was right in front of me, and the idiot behind me started beeping at me telling me to get out of the f***ing road.

In the end I slowed down for where I turn off, and asked him how exactly he was going to teleport past the car in front once I’d stopped slowing him down, to which he didn’t have an answer, idiot.

druidh
    Free Member

For the same reason that so many cyclists refuse to stop at a red light.

project
    Free Member

I always stop at red lights,unlike a lot of motorists.

cynic-al
    Free Member

druidh…anti-cyclist on a cycling forum?

monkeyboyjc

i’ve never got why some cyclists think that they need to put stuff like that on youtube….
    ok, so some drivers are crap – just report them to the police if your that bothered to ride with a camera and be done withit…. like druidh said some cyclists are crap too.

seosamh77
    Free Member

why don’t you just use the wee bit of pavement…

aP
    Free Member

It’s because they all have bought into the ‘car = freedom’ lie.
    But, the more of us that do cycle the more they get used to it.

seosamh77
    Free Member

either that or just hog the middle of the lane so they can’t overtake..pretty much your fault for letting people over take you.

viv
    Free Member

I overtake when I shouldn’t in a car and on a bike, I see other cars do this too, I see other bikes do this too…. Can’t say it’s surprising, lots of people do unsafe things.

transapp
    Free Member

People are impatient shocker.

clive
    Free Member

Thats standard driving from the locals this end !

brooess
    Free Member

because cars are so safe for the occupants that they don’t realise the danger they;re putting themselves in
    + general stupidity…

On my regular route there’s some straight-ish but twisty country roads which, being on a bike and higher I can see approaching cars round the other side of the bend. Cars behind don’t want to wait behind me and overtake on a blind bend. I wave to get them to hold back because I know there’s a car approaching on the other side of the bend. Makes no difference.

If they were a) not stupid, they wouldn’t overtake on a blind bend. If they b) felt any sensation of risk, they wouldn’t overtake on a blind bend.

Anyone who climbs knows you’re far more bold when you top rope or boulder with a big mat beneath you than you do if you’re leading. Same in a car – far more bold when you’re insulated from the risk.

One reason on my road bike downhill I don;t fully let the bike go is that the consequences of an off are horrible to contemplate but in a car I’d happily go 40+ mph. Brakes, seatbelt, airbags, big metal box etc make me feel safer

But few drivers have this self-awareness and therefore drive like fools… I wish they wouldn’t, it spoils the riding…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Free Member

I think the funniest drivers are the ones that tooth and nail must get past you – even though there is a tail back ahead that is not moving ……

Had one last monday that overtook me then realise she was inthe wrong lane so tried to drive through me !

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Project please please please for your own safety get out of the gutter or get off the road. If you had been out in the road in the primary position that pickfords lorry would not have been able to squeeze past and you would have somewhere to go should it try

project
    Free Member

TJ ever tried defying 20 plus tones os steel driven by a nutter who has decided he IS going to overtake just so he can get to the pub earlier.

Despite numerous white lines slow signs and sharks teeth on the start of the 30 mph limit, some motorists just dont get it, or want to .

T1000
    Free Member

TJ +1

irc

The difference being that dangerous overtakes are always dangerous whereas treating a red light as a give way when there is no other traffic on the other road is not.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The difference being that dangerous overtakes are always dangerous whereas treating a red light as a give way when there is no other traffic on the other road is not.

It’s the same thing, in all cases the person doesn’t believe what they are doing is dangerous

D0NK

It’s the same thing, in all cases the person doesn’t believe what they are doing is dangerous

except it’s not. I’m not condoning RLJ but rlj and stupid overtakes aren’t direct comparisons. One can be done safely while the other is always dangerous.

But yes some drivers think 6″ is sufficient space to give cyclists, that needs to change

crazy-legs

I had to jump a just-turned-red light last night on my commute. Approaching the crossroad junction, the light went to amber and I heard the car behind floor it. I knew instantly that if I stopped he wouldn’t be able to fit through the gap between me and the car that had already stopped in the right turn lane, I could hear the engine noise so I sprinted through and he just made the gap and got round me. Insane move, especially as there was someone waiting to turn right on the crossroads.

But it’s one of those things – motorist sees bike and just thinks “I must overtake NOW, they must be slowing me down, get past, get past” without even thinking about looking up the road and thinking well you know what, there’s a traffic jam there and a parked car there which I won’t get round due to the oncoming lorry so I’ll just chill out and wait until it’s safe.

sobriety
    Free Member

I’ve noticed a new technique among drivers, this is to sound their horn, and then overtake you like an idiot anyways, as if beeping you made it ok… 🙄

alpin
    Free Member

because cars are so safe for the occupants that they don’t realise the danger they;re putting themselves in
    + general stupidity…

this….

essentially exactly what i told the woman yesterday.

scruff
    Free Member

Couple of weeks ago I was cut up & forced to the kerb on an island by the head vehicle of a funeral cortege, it was fully loaded so I didn’t bang on the window.
    I often ride bang in the middle of the carriageway on a few sections of my commute approaching PITA junctions but if someone’s determined to come past, they are coming through. Although they generally have to stop dead immediately after or bounce over mini-roundabouts like a monster truck.

thomthumb
    Free Member

TJ ever tried defying 20 plus tones os steel driven by a nutter who has decided he IS going to overtake just so he can get to the pub earlier

you will always get a few people who force their way by; but at least you will have room to move into.

looking at your vids you need to move a couple of feet to the right. at the moment the message you are giving out is pass when you can. you need to be demanding safe overtakes; the only way to do this is to assert your right to the lane.

give it a try some time; it works.

buy this, read it.

http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/

😀

D0NK

sound their horn, and then overtake you like an idiot anyways, as if beeping you made it ok

woman came passed me with her left indicator on and turned left on me. I managed to dodge but caught up with her at her house to point out the error of her ways. Her counter argument was that she was signalling so that made it ok.

I really do wonder at the sheer stupidity of some drivers, some just don’t seem to have a clue that they are doing dangerous stuff.

juan
    Free Member

It’s the way it is. Since last time I was moved out of the road I am not too keen on the primary position. Cars will always be rights no matter what. Last time a nutter in a car got angry because I was riding on the primary position. Shouted at me I shouted back, drove very close to me so that I had to lift my hand to hit his wing mirror (he was driving a big van) and protect my head. He used his van to force me out of the road and got out armed with a massive roll of cling film (industrial size). After the altercation the cops were called, I am still waiting for the end of it, but look like I am going tto have to pay him for the prejudice of defending myself.

binners

I had a new one this morning. A car had moved out to overtake me, giving me plenty of room. Very courteous and considerate. All well and good.

However, at this point, the motorbike behind him saw this as an opportunity to undertake the car, and came between us at a fair old ****ing speed!!!! I nearly ****ing shat myself. ****ing idiot!!!!

Sadly, nothing surprises me any more 😥

crazy-legs

Motorcyclist probably though the car was turning right so he ‘correctly’ went down the middle.

Klunk
    Free Member

i’ve had a few near misses and was clipped once by a timber lorry trying nip past. It’s on coming cars forcing their way through when you have the right of way, or booting to get through as quick as possible then struggling to avoid you. Forcing you into the verge and then giving you a “cheery” wave blooody ****.

prezet
    Free Member

This morning’s ride almost all the cyclists on my commute jumped at least one red light. If we want drivers to respect us as fellow road users then we need to stop giving them ammunition that we’re a danger to ourselves and others.

Obey the rules of the road like everyone else.

On my daily commute there’s normally one or two idiots, but they’re a minority. Most drivers are quite courteous and respectful.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    TooTall
    Free Member

some motorists just dont get it

Phew. At least we’ve gone from all motorists to some motorists.

miketually
    Free Member

druidh – Member

“So many” = 2%

Two percent of cyclists “frequently” jump red lights.

That compares quite well to the 2.8% of drivers who use their mobile while driving or the 100% of drivers who frequently exceed the speed limit*.

Some pedestrians are dicks, but as a group rarely kill or seriously injure anyone. (Apart from murders and that.)
    Some cyclists are dicks, but they rarely kill or seriously injure anyone.
    Some drivers are dicks, and they frequently kill or seriously injure people.

*source: my eyes. May not be statistically accurate sample.

Lifer
    Free Member

The ones that annoy me the most are those that accelerate to get past you when you start signalling right.

miketually
    Free Member

prezet – Member
    This morning’s ride almost all the cyclists on my commute jumped at least one red light. If we want drivers to respect us as fellow road users then we need to stop giving them ammunition that we’re a danger to ourselves and others.

At every set of lights I stop at (which is all the red ones) at least one car nips through on red pretty much every time.

johnners
    Free Member

I’m getting a feeling of deja vu here…

Yeah, it’s just project pretending to be affronted by the same thing he was affronted by 7 months earlier, and posting the same link to him riding in the gutter.

Recycling the same old thing is making him look even more desperate for attention than usual.

Kryton57

I think there needs to be some education for motorist regarding bikes here, and some empathetic use of the road by both parties.

Case in hand; I was cycling down single and a bit sized country lane on the road bike a while back, when a car came up behind me. Now, said road was littered on the l/h edge with pot holes and puddles (suspected potholes) so while I was milling along about 15mph, I was busy looking for a place to pull over to the left and let said car past – which I did eventually.

Needless to say, this took longer than 5 seconds, which resulted in a honking of horn and tirade of abuse when he eventually passed me.

However, If I were in the car, I would have been aware of the situation and been more patient knowing that I’d eventally get past, the other alternative being that I’d hasseled the cyclist into a pothole resulting in said cyclist under my wheels as best.

If the driver had known this – would he have been more patient?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘why are motorists so impatient to overtake ,(dangerously)’ is closed to new replies.