Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • The motorbikers nod
  • anagallis_arvensis

I need to know the rules, is it like cyclist wave, ie roadies ignore mtbers and everyone ignores commuters on bromptons. Is there any party I can ignore safe in the knowledge some internet forum will be burning with indignation. Should I ignore mopeds, learners or as a BMW rider should everyone ignore me.

Thanks for any input.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Harley riders – and most certainly those on japanese fake harleys – ignore them.

Everyone will ignore you if you are on a BMW – they did for me anyway

Creg

not sure on the "rules" but when I was on my CBT I nodded at all bikers I passed and was really suprised when every single one nodded back, a few even managed a thumbs up 😀

imp999
    Free Member

I am a waver/saluter, me, and seem to have got most of the Bikes I see of a work day waving back.
    I just can't seem to acknowledge scooters, though I have been fooled by some giant Honda thing on several occasions and it didn't actually hurt me.

bassspine
    Free Member

I nod at every other biker when I'm out. In Devon most bikers nod back. In London virtually no-one does. I'm slightly worried because I've started doing the noddy thing on my pushbike.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have to say I almost never did unless there was a specific reason – great day on country roads or grim winters day

the_lecht_rocks

i was concentrating on progressive riding technique other than to acknowledge anyone who was obviously riding slower than me, when i rode the road………. 😛

try rolling along in gear, hitting the kill switch then priming the kill switch live again whilst rolling back the throttle……

much better than a wave………. 😈

robgarrioch

Better to make the wave / nod, then take the moral high ground if you're not dignified with a response 😀
    I'll always wave / nod if the situation allows, good for the camaraderie y'know. Not to mention encouraging those hardy riders when I've marshalled in road events – usually a thumbs up when passing.

sturmey
    Free Member

:wink:Is blowing kisses to cyclists of the opposite sex ok? Or should I ask the ladies to stop

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

harleys and gold wings.

wave at the cops though, it's cool when they wave back

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

oi tj why ignore harley riders?

bassspine
    Free Member

Hardly riders never nod back.

solamanda
    Free Member

Rules are…

Don't nod at scooters. Harley riders can be nodded at but never nod first, they might be one of those weekend only riders.

Never nod at BMW riders as they're ALWAYS*, without exception, complete and utter ****'s who get in the way. Their indicators and mirrors don't work either.

Don't not in busy cities.

*maybe exaggerating

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Lobby – 'cos I (used to) ride a BMW 🙂

They ain't real bikers – just weekend posers

More money than sense?

Just teasing really. A bike is a bike – even if its a harley

Pigface
    Free Member

I always nod or lift a hand, in winter I would say 100% recipricate in summer it drops by half.

With other cyclists i always shout Hiya, even roadies seem to respond.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I smile at cyclists, f and blind at beemer drivers, nod at motorbikers, esp. HD, BMW and GoldWings.

epicyclo

Hey, don't knock the poor Harley riders.

They have given up a lot for their bike.

Let's see:
    Stop shaving Thursday morning
    Practise scowl in shaving mirror
    Buy more useless shiny tack for the bike
    Practise scowl in mirror
    Hang large floppy gut over belt
    Practise scowl in mirror
    Put on pseudo American outlaw gear
    Practise scowl in reflecto sunglasses
    Struggle to get bike upright
    Wait for large fat woman with overexposed mammaries to mount
    Struggle to get bike upright again
    Lift large floppy gut from left or right side onto tank
    Practise scowl in bike mirror
    Start bike and ride short distance
    Admire reflection in shop windows, remembering to scowl
    Join other "outlaws" at the pub
    Practise scowl in chrome tank panel
    Scowl replaced by look of fear – some of these guys may be real
    Drink crap American beer/whisky
    Large fat woman with overexposed mammaries invited to romantic group therapy session by other "outlaws"
    Drink more crap American beer/whisky
    Scurry off home asap without large fat woman

Yup that's about it. Really just image conscious fat boys too unfit too fit into roadie lurid lycra suits.

Oh, yes, the not waving bit. Harley riders never wave because they are too scared to take one hand of the bars.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

epicyclo – up yours. I'm not fat, and my wife certainly isnt. My Harley has no 'useless shiny tack' on it, I ride day in, day out, whatever the weather, and the only scowl you'll get from me is when I'm kicking your b***ocks from under you. I've been riding bikes for thirty years, everything from sports bikes to my current street bob, and have never knocked other people for what bikes they choose to ride, and dont understand why you would want to do so. As far as your comments about outlaws go, you really need to be careful with that sort of s**t.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Don't get sucked into it. You'll end up like a nodding dog.

Northwind

If a gigantic rideout passes you in the other direction, it's acceptable not to nod or wave at everyone :mrgreen:I was out on the SV650.org annual rideout last year, about 120 bikes wandering around devon, and some of the people we passed looked like they were practicing for a motorhead concert.

Waving is acceptable. Nazi salutes are not. It's a fine line.

epicyclo

barnsleymitch – Member
    epicyclo – up yours etc

Wow, touched a nerve there! Goan get my b**ocks kicked! Oops!

That's what's called satire.

Settle down mate. I have been riding Harleys since 1970. I used to go trail riding in Oz on a springer 74ci Flathead with foot clutch and hand change. I have owned 3 Evolution HDs since – plus a HD branded Aermacchi.

Have you been scowling so much you've lost your sense of humour? Do you really not know any of the weekend warriors with their lifestyle accessories?

And nah, "outlaws" don't impress me – most of them were on their Honda 125s last year. Riding a Harley in colours doesn't make them big and tough in my eyes. Maybe I spent too long in mining towns out west (Oz) with real hard men to be impressed by swaggering braggarts who talk tough.

Pigface
    Free Member

Epicyclo Have you been to the Patriot in Crumlin, you described them perfectly 😀

rich_tee
    Free Member

I acknowledge bikers when it is safe to do so. However here they tend to wave or give a victory/peace V sign.

The other thing that slightly unnerves me is that if a car driver kindly moves over to let them pass, they stick a leg out to thank them.

uplink
    Free Member

The other thing that slightly unnerves me is that if a car driver kindly moves over to let them pass, they stick a leg out to thank them.

why does that un-nerve you?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

epicyclo – LMFAO, that was far too funny!

You forgot to mention most of them are doctors, lawyers and other upstanding members of the public too though 😉

I actually get some nods off Harley riders these days – noticed a change in attitude when I went from the knackered old Yamaha to the (once) lovely shiny Triumph (lack of washing and an interface with a wall have made it no longer quite so nice and shiny… big feckoff scratch down the side!). Beemers are a mixed bad though, if they don't think they are Charlie MacEwan doing the Long Way Round then they are fine (ie anyone riding a non-GS Beemer). Kind of toying with a BMW K1200S/R Sport for the next bike myself (though there is a certain inevitability that I will switch from the Speed Triple to a Sprint ST – just love them triples!)

juan
    Free Member

Don't nod at scooters. Harley riders can be nodded at but never nod first, they might be one of those weekend only riders.

Agree actually it's ok to try to make people on scooter crash, specially tmaxx 500 as they will probably be working in renting agency.

It's to say thank you what do you want them to do?
    It's a bit easier here as we actually waves between motorcyclists. BMW are fine in my book. Much better than Japaneses 4 cylinders.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

epicyclo LOL you summed it up perfectly. I was at a 'HOG' meet in August and that description was probably accurate for 95% of the people there.

I've found I get a wave from most riders whether I'm riding a Harley or a KTM apart from the GS Beemer riders. Too focused on going that 'big adventure to Sainsburys' 😛

epicsteve
    Free Member

I nod/wave to everyone (except folks on scooters). Most people respond, but what I've found is that if I'm wearing my Dayglo textile gear I get less responses than I do when I'm wearing my dark leathers.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

epicyclo – fair point I suppose – it'd been a long day at work and I was being overly sensitive. I get a bit fecked off with the slaggings that harley riders get, but yeah, some of them deserve it. I dont buy into all the 'lifestyle' thing personally, and get a bit pi**ed at the weekend warrior thing. So far as the outlaw stuff goes, I was involved with patch clubs on and off for about ten years, and still have mixed feelings about them – all I can say (and if you've been around them, as I'm guessing you have) you'll know only too well that people wearing colours arent generally doing it to spread peace and love. Anyhow, sorry for being a pompous cock, and next time I drink six bottles of magners after a 13 hour shift at the secure unit, I'll think twice before posting.
    PS, where can I get some of them overexposed mammaries for the missus?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh I love riding a scooter. I once really pi$$ed of a guy on a ZX9 who came battering past me at every available opportunity, only for me to catch and pass him at every set of lights, roundabout, queue etc for about 10-15 miles.
    N.B. – Not every scooter rider is a 16yo kid you know, some of us are just between bikes or commuting on a sensibe, cheap mode of transport and are quite capable of keeping up…. 🙂

I have to say I almost never did unless there was a specific reason

And you wonder why BMW riders get labelled as ignorant know-it-alls? 😉

I once had a conversation with a BMW rider (A right tosser he was too) who simply couldn't understand why I would spend more on my little Ducati when I could have had a 'better' BMW for the same/less money…..He didn't understand that I bought it because it made me laugh, it made me feel fantastic, and it had a soul.

I might have a BMW one day, I'm not knocking them, but for me you don't buy a bike with your head, it's not a SENSIBLE decision! 😀

juan
    Free Member

Not every scooter rider is a 16yo kid you know

Well they are the only ones who deserve the nod as they can't have a proper motorbike.

If you have your driving license there is no excuses for riding a scooter, specially considering how bad they ride and how they behave towards other road users:(

epicsteve
    Free Member

I might have a BMW one day

Quite fancied a R1100S and did consider an F800 when replacing the Deauville, but went with a CBF1000GT instead.

Pigface
    Free Member

Hang on BMW's have soul and character, the old flying brick was a gem of a bike and I love GSs it is the sad wannabe oaf on the back of one who has spunked his cash at Touratech and is wearing some kind of Andy Pandy suit. Saw a GS12 the other day and the guy even had GS badged boots on.

They are the 2 wheel equivalent of the Urban 4×4 owner.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Scooterers (Excluding the chavs) – Never nod or thank.

Superbikes – Nod & thank (usually)

BMW GS'ers – never nod or thank (similar to BMW drivers)

Ducati riders – always nod & thank, the best riders on the road… apparently

Harley/Roadsterers – Never nod. They think you're a **** as you don't ride a bike where your hands are higher than your face.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

BTW – I'm a nodder/winker (read that again…) I even do a proper 'wink' and make the noise! WHY?!

I like the idea of a saluter, might save this for the BMW GSers and Harley riders, make them feel bad when they don't do anything back.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Quite fancied a R1100S and did consider an F800 when replacing the Deauville, but went with a CBF1000GT instead.

I had a test ride on a Monster 696, and afterwards I went to the BMW dealers close by, inending to ride an F800GS or an R800S. I spent a while looking round at them, having a fiddle, sitting on them. Very nice bikes. But all I could think of was ripping round on the Ducati, the NOISE it made from the airbox, the way it just scampered round like an eager terrier, the light flickable feeling and the little V-twin that just wanted to rev and rev and rev like crazy and headbutt the rev limiter all the time.
    I just couldn't bring myself to even ask for a test ride on a BMW. I just knew I didn't WANT one. So I pottered off (Can you can potter on a Speed Triple?) back to the Ducati dealers and bought the Monster.

I've recently had to sell it for various reasons, and it broke my heart to see it go, but I know the new owner's happy and got a good deal, so that's OK. I've never felt like that about a bike. And a little 'bottom of the range' bike to boot.
    And I've never had the same bike or even the same make more than once, But I know my next will be another Duke. I'm not even really considering looking at another make. Odd, in a way, but not really…. 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Hang on BMW's have soul and character

Amen, for me bmw have the same part in the motorcycling industry than Brits and US brands.

I'm not even really considering looking at another make. Odd, in a way, but not really….

NOW you are back to your real yourself 😀 I just wish I could have bought it 🙁

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I dont give a fiddlers **** whether you nod at me or not. The only people I'm wary of on the road are people driving german cars (generally BMs or Mercs) as most of them drive like theyre the only ones on the road and everone else is insignificant.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you have your driving license there is no excuses for riding a scooter

Sorry Juan, but that's drivel. And very narrow minded too.
    I'll have a joke at TJs expense about BMWs (Note the smiley) but to me, if it's got 2 wheels, it's a bike of some sort. Engine or not, no matter how many gears, what the name on the side is, or it's intended use. It's a bike, and all bikes are good. End of story for me.
    I've had 3 scooters now and they are brilliant. Silly cheap to run, practical, warmer then a motorbike at 6.30am in January, easy to park, clean, hilarious fun to ride in a bouncy-side-stand-scraping manner, and they simply destroy traffic like nothing else can.
    I really want a Vespa GT200 next.

Sportsbikes aren't my thing, but I'd Love a 916 or a Blade, or a track RS250
    Harleys aren't my thing, but I'd LOVE to ride across the USA on one
    BMWs aren't my thing, but I might get one if I needed to commute or tour great distances

Etc Etc…
    😀

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

The t1t that is Charley Boorman together with his career made of the back of his 'mate' rides a BMW GS, end of argument.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘The motorbikers nod’ is closed to new replies.