Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • The Lords Prayer
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Who else can recite it word for word, I haven’t been to church albeit for weddings and funerals since I was 15 and have no real faith but still know it. This surprises me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Me too. Reciting it every day from 5-12yrs old at school, bound to stick.

Spin
    Free Member

Yup.

Also,

Amo, amas, amat and so on. And various other things rote learned at school.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I can still recite the whole lyrics word for word of ‘the message ‘ by Grand Master Flash.

RustySpanner

And ‘Paid in Full’ by Eric B and Rakim.

Oh, the Hail Mary too.
    I take people to church every week.
    Amazing how much of it sticks.

theotherjonv

Yes.

But I can also pick up a recorder and play Dr Finlay’s Casebook almost perfectly despite it being a piece I learnt for a school concert about 35 years ago, and I’ve barely played the recorder since.

And my grandad used to play the piano and keyboards in the WM Clubs around Newcastle after the war right up until the 80’s. When he started to get Alzheimers and couldn’t control his fingers so well he stopped. Eventually the dementia got such that he couldn’t speak properly, didn’t recognise his family, and needed round the clock care in a nursing home. However – put him in front of a keyboard and he could just play and play. Many different songs, both hands – hitting a few bum notes granted where his motor skills had left him somewhat – but clearly using a different part of the brain that wasn’t / isn’t the same as ‘memory’ but instead is some sort of almost involuntary recall.

Still amazes me how little we really know about the control centre of our existence.

GrahamS

Yep, indoctrinated from a young age by reciting it daily in school assembly.

Our Farter, who farts in Devon…

Mind you I was also indoctrinated to the fact that the Tims say it “wrong” and we should fight them because of that… 😕

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Me too. And the Cub Scout Law and Promise. And strangely the Um Bongo advert.

Funny think the human memory. I can remember all that but not the name of someone that I was introduced to ten minutes ago.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, just about.

MrPottatoHead

Yes, along with theme song for Fresh Prince.

senorj

Most of it , along with the first verses of “Onward Christian soldiers”.
    (we were brainwashed at primary school too) 🙂

bearnecessities

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles here.

BFITH
    Free Member

Same here…… Romeo and Juliet by Dire straits too.

A love struck romeo sings the streets of serenade, laying everybody low with a love song that he made, finds a convenient streetlight, steps out of the shade, says something like you and me babe how about it?

Probably not verbatim… but its how I remember it.

scaredypants

is it to do with not having a middle order collapse in the second innings?

starts “Oh Jesus, not again…” ?

legend
    Free Member

MrPottatoHead – Member

Yes, along with theme song for Fresh Prince.

Yes to the Fresh Prince, no to the Lords Prayer – good catholic upbringing for you 🙄

RustySpanner

Hang on, you were a Catholic and you can’t remember the Our Father?

What kind of half hearted indoctrination is that?

Obviously not beaten into you enough…..

legend
    Free Member

Got about 2/3rds through then couldn’t remember, smashed through the Fresh Prince theme tune though! I’m sure that’s forgivable in the eyes of Our Lord

bodgy
    Free Member

Can remember about 90% of The Smiths lyrics. Pretty much the same thing.

fredtitmuss
    Free Member

Our Father
    Who farts in heaven…

DezB
    Free Member

Oh yes, Sunday school as a nipper has imprinted that crap in my brain.
    I can also remember the lyrics to songs I don’t even like – like McArthur Park and American Pie. I’m sure I’ve never listened to them on purpose because they make me cringe, but they’re there, in full. Songs my parents didnt’ even like! We must’ve had the radio on a lot.

codybrennan
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Mind you I was also indoctrinated to the fact that the Tims say it “wrong” and we should fight them because of that…

Tim here, and still have to look around and remind myself where I am when in a church etc- do I do the next bit or not? Did anyone kneel in the last 5 mins? etc.

I can still recite the whole “Angelus”. Which does surprise me.

Anyway:

“Far away across the field
    The tolling of the iron bell
    Calls the faithful to their knees
    To hear the softly-spoken magic spell”.

Mackem

I can even stick the proddy bit on the end if I need to.

globalti
    Free Member

I can recite the Hail Mary in Spanish, so there!

Mackem

In German it’s Heil Mary

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

We often think that we can. But I recall being asked by our headmaster in a “Divinty” class to write out the LP. No one was able to write it out perfectly despite not thinking about it when reciting it in chapel.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Yep, along with:

Joseph’s brothers, the 7 wonders of the world and the labours of Hercules.

The Ezekiel 25 monologue from Pulp Fiction – both takes, including the differing number of gunshots in each.

Pi to 9 decimal places – that’s all my childhood calculator went up to.

The waitress’s name & phone number in Rainman.

The lyrics to Ice, Ice Baby and The Stutter Rap (for shame!!).

whitestone
    Free Member

I thought I could but got about three lines in and realised that I couldn’t remember the rest. Got more important things to forget.

scud
    Free Member

Despite being a Fundamentalist Atheist i can too, along with the whole of Ice, Ice Baby apparently too i found out the other day much to the amusement of my daughter!

jamj1974

And ‘Paid in Full’ by Eric B and Rakim.

Can I get an ‘Amen’!

munrobiker
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt9fbz4Djtc[/video]

downshep

Yep, every word as burned into my young head at Sunday School. Even then I was skeptical.

More importantly, I’m word perfect in “A mouse took a stroll through a deep dark wood. A fox saw the mouse and the mouse looked good….

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yes I can but today I’m more in a Psalm 23 kind of mood for some reason…..

jimdubleyou

with the whole of Ice, Ice Baby

rollin, in my 5 point oh with my ragtop down so my hair can blow?

Mrs Dubs works in a Catholic school, so I always get weirded out by them missing words off the prayer when I go to one of their indoctrination ceremonies.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I thought i did but it depends on which flavour of fantasy you practice.

*shakes hand* “peace be with you”

Was a bit of a surprise.

miketually
    Free Member

things rote learned at school

A colleague calls it “rope learning”, and it makes me want to do violence. (But he’s ex-forces and could crush me.)

along with theme song for Fresh Prince

My daughter was watching Fresh Prince the other day, because it’s on Netflix now. I thought I’d ‘impress’ her by joining in with the lyrics at the start. Turns out they’re different in the very early episodes so I just looked like a dick.

I’m word perfect in “A mouse took a stroll through a deep dark wood. A fox saw the mouse and the mouse looked good….

We got our kids old books out when my sister visited with her new baby. I was surprised how many I knew word for word.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jim, I am surprised you let you wife be exposed to such indoctrination or be part of such a thing. Where’s the conviction?

Stoner
    Free Member

As a former chorister I know some long Latin pieces off by heart.

But also the Jaberwocky, so that’s alright

perchypanther
    Free Member

More importantly, I’m word perfect in “A mouse took a stroll through a deep dark wood. A fox saw the mouse and the mouse looked good….

+ 1 . See also Snail and the Whale, Room on the Broom, Squash and a Squeeze, Stick Man et al.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes. Hail Mary too. Receited them enough times to be firmly etched in the memory.

RustySpanner

Mackem – Member
    I can even stick the proddy bit on the end if I need to.

Power and glory mad, bless ’em.
    Inferiority complex, innit?
    🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘The Lords Prayer’ is closed to new replies.