Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The Long Hope…
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

HIGHLY recommended film. Not just for Dave McLeod’s incredible talent but for the whole fascinating history surrounding Longhope Route on Hoy; from Drummond and Hill in 1970 through Turnbull and Arran in 1997 to the present day. Beautifully filmed too. Check out the “Road Runner” moment with the dropped block to get a sense of scale…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ds5LZel0WU[/video]

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Bump

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Cheers – that looks great. We were up on Orkney (and Hoy) in 2009 – stunning cliffs and scenery and unseasonably good weather.

matt_outandabout

Tis a great achievement, looks like a great filum

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I used to live on Orkney and regularly passed the sea cliffs on Hoy by ferry. They are massive.

I watched a couple of guys summit the Old Man, and were the first folks they spoke to by the time they reached the Moness Pier. They were still on an adrenaline rush.

This is in another league.

Stuartie, film night round at yours?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

It is a great film. Not quite what I expected, but great to see the lifelong effects it had on the first people to climb it.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

When we were there we spent a good hour watching some climbers on the Old Man of Hoy – look closely you might spot them:

Old Man of Hoy by Team Shortbread, on Flickr

Close up:

Rock climbers on the Old Man of Hoy by Team Shortbread, on Flickr

View of cliffs:

Hoy cliffs by Team Shortbread, on Flickr

The weather was like this for a whole week – sea as still as a duckpond, blue sky and no wind. I don’t think it’s usually like that…. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘The Long Hope…’ is closed to new replies.