Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • The Jubulani World Cup ball
  • IHN

So there's been a lot of talk, whinging, speculation etc about the new ball, and now Capello has waded in saying its awful.

My question is, why do they 'develop' a new ball? What was wrong with the old ball?

theflatboy
    Free Member

beacuse they get it endorsed throughout the tournament and then get to charge £80 for each one they sell. though that will probably be even less than usual this time round.

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^^

What he said!

Edric64
    Free Member

I don't know why they moan as it's the same for everyone

binners

No it isn't. The Germans have been using it in their league games for the last season. Due to Adidas sponsorship (its Nike for ours).

Who are the only side who have looked half decent with it? Coincidence?

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I can see why sportswear companies like Adidas or Nike make such a fuss about launching a new ball at a World Cup – I remember what an object of desire a "Tango" was during and after the '78 World Cup.

However, I don't know why the football authorities consent to spring a radically new ball on the teams at a tournament like this then wonder why the games have been crap.

If you're a football player and you've spent months finessing and caressing a ball that weighs X from free kicks, corner kicks and dribbles, your muscle memory presumably will be geared towards that. You're not going to learn how to do it to a ball that weighs Y in a day or two's training. Especially since many of the venues are at altitude, where the thinner air introduces a further element of unpredictability to the ball's behaviour.

Seems the need for Adidas to make money has taken precedence over everyone else's desire to see a decent tournament.

freddyg
    Free Member

Hasn't the ball been available to all teams for months though?

withersea
    Free Member

it's a ball, that is round, like all other balls. If grown men (who get paid megabucks) can't use it they shouldn't be professional footballers..

thomthumb
    Free Member

it's a ball, that is round, like all other balls

from this quote obviously you have never tested foorballs to a fifa sphericity standard. 😉

as a man who has believe me, you'd be surprised by how unround some balls are.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No it isn't. The Germans have been using it in their league games for the last season. Due to Adidas sponsorship (its Nike for ours).

Germany, Switzerland, Portugal and the USA have been using the ball over the past year in their domestic leagues while the France and Argentina national teams, who are sponsored by adidas, have also been using the ball in internationals.

Hasn't the ball been available to all teams for months though?

Yes, but as we CANNOT use it in league matches, we get less chance to practice with it. Saying that – how many other nationals play in our league….

Drac

Still the same ball though for all. Unless when a German player touches it changes, hold on it's those damn Decepticons.

binners

To be fair I think its only the goalkeepers who are whining. And their managers on their behalf.

At first they said you couldn't bend it. Erm… did you see the first Brazil goal?

A ball 'not bending':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELpQ0EtEysU

Hohum
    Free Member

binners – Member

😯

samuri
    Free Member

To be fair I think its only the goalkeepers who are whining.

Here's what a ball designed by a goalie would look like.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I was about to say 'yeah, but how many Germans actually play in the Bundesliga?'

Well, it appears to be all of them!

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/team=43948/squadlist.html

Hohum
    Free Member

ourkidsam – Member
    I was about to say 'yeah, but how many Germans actually play in the Bundesliga?'

Well, it appears to be all of them!

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/teams/team=43948/squadlist.html

It's a conspiracy between FIFA, Adidas and the Bundesliga to give them an unfair advantage!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The Germans have been using it in their league games for the last season

Do many of the German nationals actually play in the German league?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

got bored writing, but theres more to ball design than you'd imagine.

carbon337
    Free Member

The consipracy widens – Ballack would have been the only addidas sponsored player playing outside Germany – badly tackled and forced out of team by the brother of Jerome Boateng (Kevin-Prince Boateng -Ghana) who happens to have replaced him and has experience of using the Jubulani.

🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

it's a ball, that is round, like all other balls

Ah you see that's where you're wrong. It's the roundest ball yet and it's the sole reason england are shite.

withersea
    Free Member

ahhh it's the ball – there was me thinking that England was just shite and that most of the country was getting carried away supporting a team with little chance of winning

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Do many of the German nationals actually play in the German league?

All of them 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Bloody Germans, cheating again.

miketually
    Free Member

we CANNOT use it in league matches, we get less chance to practice with it

We? Do you mean the English soccer team, or us?

MrSparkle

Not much point your lot practicising with it, eh.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

Loving reading this, another example of how when England dont perform its never there fault and its all a bit plot against them.

simply cant accept that the team is rubbish

(i'm not saying i could do any better because i'm rubbish too but against the rest of the worlds pro's they are mince!)

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Conspiracy? Hmm, you could say that it was the FA being shortsighted and not checking which company would be providing the ball for 2010 adn then making sure they tied themselves in with them in order to ensure the players in the EPL had plenty of experience kicking the ball etc.

But then to say all that would be to suspect that the FA are a bunch of useless stuffed suits who don't have a **** clue what they're doing beyond lining their own pockets. And that can't be right.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Only one kicker conspiracy.

allthepies
    Free Member

>i'm not saying i could do any better because i'm rubbish too but against the rest of the worlds pro's they are mince!

To be fair, "mince" is harsh after all they qualified for the tournament in the first place. Unlike Scotland who are perhaps more deserving of the "mince" tag.

mr_krabs
    Free Member

To be fair to the england team, almost every team has slated the ball, I think that only france and germany haven't (wonder who their kit sponsor is?)
    Adidas are saying it's altitude that is causing the balls unpredictable movement.
    The complaint is that the ball moves so much in the air that when humped up to Heskey or long to gerrard the ball moves at the last minute and makes it difficult to control. Fair play to Rob Green as he refused to blame the ball for his mistake.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Unlike Scotland who are perhaps more deserving of the "mince" tag

I fail to see what relevance england being shite has to Scotland not qualifying. You're like a stuck record.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

allthepies…the difference is we know we are rubbish and we have a bit of fun with it and dont take it too seriously

Every world cup it seems like England think they have the god given right to win and how dare anyone get in there way (or at least that is the impression you get from the media)

Gary_M
    Free Member

The complaint is that the ball moves so much in the air that when humped up to Heskey or long to gerrard the ball moves at the last minute and makes it difficult to control

Ah right, does this only happen when england players try to pass the ball?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Fair play to Rob Green as he refused to blame the ball for his mistake.

did he not say the ball moved a lot and his hand span was about a foot and he is not that bad a keeper he would miss the whole ball so I think he did blame the ball just in a more educated manner than we have come to expect from footballers

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Ah right, does this only happen when england players try to pass the ball?

It's not just Capello having a whinge, as one or two above have already pointed out.

binners

Lets be honest.We haven't got a cat in hells chance of winning it. I mean… how desperate does it have to get before Emile Heskey is your preferred choice up front? He couldn't hit a barn door with a shovel

You can't beat a good conspiracy theory though. Its all the Germans fault 😀

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

The complaint is that the ball moves so much in the air that when humped up to Heskey or long to gerrard the ball moves at the last minute and makes it difficult to control

Yeah but the skilful teams who don't need to lump it up the field aren't having as many problems with their sneaky passing game.

Gary_M
    Free Member

We haven't got a cat in hells chance of winning it

You're right there, we're not even in it.

tails
    Free Member

England are alright at footy why everyone keeps thinking we are really naff I do not understand. We've drawn one game, the "best team in the world" have lost one game don't make them rubbish, of cause we are going to be frustrated if we don't do well in the world cup as would brazil, argentina germany, holland, spain, italy any football mad country.

Rockplough
    Free Member

I really wish people would stop saying the ball is light. It's not. A FIFA approved size 5 football is 420-445 grams. The same in any FIFA sanctioned league.

On the other hand the air density at say, 5000 feet (Rustenburg), is 17% less than at sea level. I'm no genius but I guess that means 17% less drag on the ball when it's in the air. I think that has more to do with it.

As for it moving about, I can't recall any weird ball movement in the games I've watched so far (which is most of them).

Edit: Also, the Germans played in Durban which is at sea level.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘The Jubulani World Cup ball’ is closed to new replies.