Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • The 'joys' of a well timed mechanical… FFS!
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

On the way to the nightride snapped the chain, already had a dodgy link removed so was too short for the 42, now it was too short for anything lower than 32, did the ride, pedalled into the last descent and it went again. Chain in pocket freewheel down to a respectable strava 🙂 then a long push back up the hill to the house

ekul
    Free Member

On the forgetfulness theme.

With the white Room in 2014, I’d forgotten something for most of the days so as we were going to Pila I made s big effort, got all my kit ready and in the van and even saved a space for my buddies. Just cross over the col du petit St. Bernard and I got the sickening realisation that I didn’t remember putting my bike on. Sure enough I turn around and it’s not there! Followed by me frantically turning on my data roaming on my mobile and seeing what hire bikes were available. Every cloud though, spent the day riding a transition tr500 which was awesome and led to me buying a DH bike when I got home.

Also managed to leave my front wheel in the car park at rivington.

I’d lose my balls if they weren’t in a bag!

big_scot_nanny

That hill I rode yesterday is like my nemesis. I have had more falls and mechanicals up there than anywhere else.

Last time up was a night ride, slogged all the way to the top with 2 mates, managed first to lose one mate in the woods at the top – cue much shouting and light waving. Then 2 minutes after that my wheel and rear mech decided to make sweet love and completely ate each other. That was a long walk!

Good news though! Spare pedals installed last night (blackspire I think – grippy buggers!), same routine this morning, but without the mechanicals (though different, slightly bigger hill) – and it was AMAZING! yay! Still buzzing 🙂

Northwind

Not bike related, but my exhaust just more or less fell off while driving to the MOT centre 😆

singlebat
    Free Member

Those broken pedal spindles are not reassuring – where’s the load, to snap at the locknut threaded end area? I think of Shimano as at least having quality metallurgy but know two different folks who have broken newer DuraAce road crank arms while pedalling along, no crashes at all! Medium large guys, but rando riders, not at all racing thigh masters.
    Always carry extra chain quick links and tool.
    Had a freewheel suddenly freeze on a multiday White Rim trip; at home I’d serviced the wheel but that freehub fixing bolt I’d neglected to use Loctite on. On the ride, the bolt loosened and it jammed the outer hub bearings solid. Still hate that design.

slider888
    Free Member

Up early in the long gone summer, decide upon Reeth for a cheeky jaunt before family duties. Throw everything into the car and arrive at 7am.
    Can’t find helmet, o well I’ll bimble along the river. Can’t find front wheel and its too early for the dales bike centre.
    Two hours of driving for zero riding. Apologys to the old man for the swearing 😳

orangeorange
    Free Member

Had a day like this today-First day out on the new bike,bought it running tubeless so ordered some Stans fluid to top up with from CRC which didn’t arrive in time,never had a puncture in dozens of rides here so decided to ride anyway , drove the 30 miles plus bridge-toll got 3 miles into ride only to have first puncture in years with spare tubes stored safely in my van in the car-park.Long walk back to the car park cussing my own stupidity and lesson learned.

HansRey

Me and a friend were getting close to the top of Stanage saltpath. We planned to go down that and onto Bamford Clough and eventually Dore Drop.

Well, just before the start of Stanage Saltpath, one of the stanchions debonded from the crown whilst he did a wheelie. I shudder to think of what would happen if it happened later on. The timing was good!

dday

Yep.

[/url]

christhetall
    Free Member

I entered the Kielder 100 in 2011, along with 2 mates. One of whom decided to change his pedals the night before driving up. He discovered he’d cross threaded it when the pedal fell off as he rode to the start line. The damage was done and so he just shrugged his shoulders, packed up his tent and went back to Derbyshire.

Given that it rained all day, was utterly grim and neither of us finished, the other guy and I still wonder whether or not it was deliberate. He did less damage to his bike than we did that day !

tazzymtb

XTR shouldn’t look this! 3 hour walk back to the car

big_scot_nanny

These are funny and despair inducing in equal measure. Love the pedals and whole bloody cranks still attached to SPDs. Must admit, the crank axle snapping is a pretty major mechnical! WT actual F?!?!

andrewh
    Free Member

Standing on the start line for the SXC race at Dalbeattie a few years ago twiddling the adjuster knob for my Hope C2 front brake and it came off in my hand. Had to race with no front brake, which meant running a lot of the steeper descents, so I missed the fun bits and came last.

not a mechanical, but i know of a guy who (years ago) booked the CwnDown uplift, got all his kit in the van, up at 4am, drove nearly 250 miles to Wales, opend the van and had forgotten his bike….

Mate of my father once drove 300 miles to the Lake District to race his boat, a Flying Fifteen, so 20ft and half a ton, fairly large trailer. He’d left that behind, quite how he hadn’t noticed I don’t know.
    When my dad bought his last one he rang his insurers the morning he went to fetch it to get it covered, then the rudder fell off on the way back and was never seen again. They weren’t happy, making a claim 3hrs after the policy was taken out!

gonzy
    Free Member

a couple of years ago at llandegla with my mates…got up the first climb and then headed into the woods…then followed the black route and carried on for another couple of miles before i heard/felt a rattling form the saddle. i stop to find the saddle has tilted back because one of the twin bolts had snapped and the barrel nut holding it in the clamp had cracked open so another bolt wouldn’t go in.
    i zip tied the saddle into place and rode on another mile very gingerly before the ties snapped and the saddle went flying off along with the rails clamps from the post. i managed to find most of the other bits but had to finish off the remaining 7 miles with the saddle and seatpost stuffed in my camelbak!!
    got some funny looks from some riders that day… 😛

a few weeks later we introduced a new member to our group at Gisburn…he was lent a Marin and all was good until we got to the boarded section when the non drive cranks came off…bolt nowhere to be seen…hang on i;ve got a spare bolt in my bag…oops its not there!
    a 2 hour walk back to the car park on his first outing on an mtb

tazzymtb

Must admit, the crank axle snapping is a pretty major mechnical! WT actual F?!?!

thats the awesomez power of beardy tattooed singlespeerists 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘The 'joys' of a well timed mechanical… FFS!’ is closed to new replies.