Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Age 40+ thinking of getting a BMX -any recommendations please?
  • Recycler
    Free Member

As above, looking to get a bmx for my local pump track and just to give it a try when riding with my young son.

Any recommendations for something to get me started?

Thanks

eskay

Consider a 24″ cruiser. I used to take my kids to the local pump track and was considering a BMX of my own. I was chatting to one of the older (around 20yrs old!) riders there one day and he let me have a go on his 24″ cruiser and it seemed like a good compromise and did not look like I was on a kids bike!

Didn’t end up getting one in the end but if I had of done, that is what I would have gone for.

TheBrick
    Free Member

What it looks like is not important. As ever fit is. Long top tube if your tall.

jimjam
    Free Member

Recycler

Any recommendations for something to get me started?

New knees.

I bought one in my late 20s and it beat the crap out of me. If you go through with it spend some money and get the best one you can with as much cro-mo in the frame/build as you can afford. It’ll be lighter, stronger and should hold it’s value pretty well so when you ride it once and abandon it, then sell it a year later it won’t be total waste of money.

3 piece cranks are a must and sealed or semi sealed bearings too.

wilko1999
    Free Member

My advice is go for a 20″ wheeled one. Lots of people on ‘BMX advice’ threads recommend cruisers, and while I’m sure they’re great, if you’re thinking of a BMX, then you might as well go for the full BMX experience. Me and a mate both got one last year at the age 40. We’re both 6’1 and went for 21″ top tube. You could go longer if you’re tall but they aren’t so easy to find. We both get on fine with 21″ – use them for pump/BMX tracks, concrete parks and Rush Indoor Skatepark. Also for just razzing round the garden with the kids on their balance bikes.

Have a look on Winstanleys, they always have good spec BMXs at discount prices. I bought mine there – full cromo frame/forks, 3 piece cranks, sealed bearings, double-walled rims etc for £230.

faustus

Make sure you also buy some skinny jeans and a piss pot helmet 😉

Recycler
    Free Member

Thanks to all so far.

If I go second hand, are there any brand recommendations I should look out for?

I’m just under 6ft, so think the 20″ frame should be ok.

Got the skinny jeans, but not the skinny legs!!

core

Also consider a brown paper bag to go on your head whilst riding it. I’d suggest cutting eyeholes in it would be beneficial. Single or 3 piece bag should work fine.

growinglad
    Free Member

Not just me then….Same age, thinking the same thing. Got a few pump tracks near to where we live and I thought it would be more fun to play around on than my hard tail.

thegreatape
    Free Member

In for a penny…

warpcow
    Free Member

Haha, must be that time of year (I’m sub-40 though). I’ve spent the past couple of days trawling 2nd-hand sites for decent BMX locally. Got one I’m going to look at later today. Mostly want it for the same reasons: pump-track just opened locally(-ish), and it’s a pain following warpcow jr. around on a big bike, but he loves cycling together.

chrispo
    Free Member

I’d recommend a three-step process:
    1. Buy/borrow/steal a cheap and nasty bmx and see if you like it
    2. Try other people’s bikes at the park
    3. Splash out if you think it’s worth it

FWIW 24″ bike feels more comfortable for me at 6ft but bmx is more of a hoot

takisawa2

A rust encrusted 92′ GT Performer here.
    With a set of original coaster Tuff 2’s to go on it.
    I’ll get round to it…one day. 😕

Bimbler
    Free Member

Dentist and fracture clinic on speed dial

toppers3933
    Free Member

I got one for exactly the same reasons but my lad soon lost interest and I never find the time for it. I’ve a top of the range Saracen one gathering dust in the garage. Take it out occasionally but not very often.

markcurtains
    Free Member

wilko1999 – Member
    My advice is go for a 20″ wheeled one. Lots of people on ‘BMX advice’ threads recommend cruisers, and while I’m sure they’re great, if you’re thinking of a BMX, then you might as well go for the full BMX experience. Me and a mate both got one last year at the age 40. We’re both 6’1 and went for 21″ top tube. You could go longer if you’re tall but they aren’t so easy to find. We both get on fine with 21″ – use them for pump/BMX tracks, concrete parks and Rush Indoor Skatepark. Also for just razzing round the garden with the kids on their balance bikes.

Have a look on Winstanleys, they always have good spec BMXs at discount prices. I bought mine there – full cromo frame/forks, 3 piece cranks, sealed bearings, double-walled rims etc for £230.

I want to hang around with you guys.

I bought mine on a slight impulse a couple of years ago (40 now), We The People Arcade, 20 inch wheels. I’m just over 6ft and rather heavy and it’s fin. I tried one out in Halfords as it’s closer, then when I knew it was a decent fit, went across town to the independent shop and bought it there. It’s not been out that often this year as I broke my arm last year and have concentrated on gettting back on the “big” bike but have done a few local pump tracks and one go at indoor skate park (terrifying/fun).

I wear a piss-pot helmet covered in stickers and very padded lycra shorts under my BMX shorts.

alexh
    Free Member

Old bmx’er here.

I bought the bike I wanted when I used to race.

An se racing floval flyer. Bit rough but I’ve got it semi restored. Perfect for riding with my kids. Also got an itch to get back on a proper track.

Great for remembering how to ride properly.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Last winter the MNPR crowd went to the Manchester BMX centre on 3 or 4 occasions. Plenty of us were late 30’s or 40’s and it was brilliant! Everyone seemed to love it and quite a few people have bought bikes since.

The first few times i liked the cruiser – it felt very safe to ride but as time and confidence increased i realised that it wasnt necessarily what i wanted. Some good advice in the earlier replies!

helpful1
    Free Member

I’m a fair bit older than you guys but haven’t really ever stopped riding BMX since the early 80s.
    RE: sizing
    I’m 5’11” (and like shorter frames than most) and am happiest all round (at the park or track) on a 20.75″.. if I were to focus just on racing I’d probably go 21.25.
    20″ TT is short for a 6′ adult unless your gonna just be messing around with the kids/riding flatland.

Lots of guys younger than me have switched to cruisers (racing). but I still don’t really like them. kinda feel like a Jack of no trades, master of nothing to me.

project
    Free Member

If youre over 40, and weigh more than 10 stone, have facial hair, and low adhesion to the bike/bmx track interface, try something else.I am and would love to have a go, but fail on all the above points

and talking to some Bmxers last year, asking why theyre all painted black with no stickers, they said because they get nicked and resprayed

nach
    Free Member

The coaches at the NCC explained it to me this way: 24″ bikes are more forgiving and comfortable to ride. 20″ will accept every bit of input you give, and might teach you more, but also accordingly amplify mistakes.

I bought a 20″ Flybikes one from Custom Riders. They usually have good bikes around half price just because they’re a year or two old.

goby

Do it! I got a 20″ United SU2 2 years ago and use it every day at lunch to go down skate park and some early morning sessions to. I’m 6ft 3 and got a 21.5″ TT they great fun and this kids will respect you eventually! 🙂

wilko1999
    Free Member

Mark if you’re anywhere near Stroud you can be in our gang 😆

Poopscoop

Mark if you’re anywhere near Stroud you can be in our gang

As an over 40 myself can I just say that comment cracked me up! Cheered me up on this dreary day! 😀

Long may we never grow up I say!

Poopscoop

When I grow up I want to be this bloke.

Notice he’s pulled already?…. Old chicks dig bikers.

noltae
    Free Member

Long top tubes often referred to as Pro XL or Pro XXL for longer still – Aluminium better for pump tracks – For second hand check BMX TALK forum classifieds .. I’d stick with steel forks as opposed to carbon for safety ..

pickle
    Free Member

I’m 45 going on 46 and ride them all the time. as said already, try and find one with a 21″ top tube so it’s nice and roomy for the taller person.

Please don’t use Winstanleys though, use a proper BMX shop like Customriders.

This is a really good deal, 21″ top tube and sealed bearings all round

http://www.customriders.com/prodshow.asp?prodid=19010&cat=57&parent=1010&sid=3

This one’s a good one as well

http://www.customriders.com/prodshow.asp?prodid=18841&cat=57&parent=1010&sid=3

chrisgibson
    Free Member

+1 on the knee comment.

Bought one second hand last year just for trail riding and pratting about. Absolutely love it but every time I bail I seem to hit my knees.

Still is a lot of fun when you are on the bike, I agree to buy a cheaper one first and give it a go before shelling out loads of cash.

cheekyget
    Free Member

If I was going to get a bmx….I’ll try and buy an old Raleigh super tuff burner….just like the one I had when I was a lad!!

markcurtains
    Free Member

wilko1999 – Member
    Mark if you’re anywhere near Stroud you can be in our gang

Dammit, I’m in Sheffield. Cheers though. I do know a DJ in Stroud I keep saying I’m going to go and see…..

Went to my local(ish) track this morning after this thread and seeing a good photo of it on instagram this morning. Had a good hour’s blast round, all but one of the jumps are still too big for me however. Gutted.

ianpv
    Free Member

I’ve got a GT pro pro XL – 2014 bike, barely ridden – that I got for the same reason. Cancer diagnosis means hitting the deck is even less appealing now than before so I’ll sell it for £215 (in Bristol) if anyone is interested in collecting!

Cheers,

Ian

awkwardkid
    Free Member

My most ridden bike is my BMX. Hit the track as often as I can. Great to take the kids to and get them learning the basics of bike control. Don’t have the bottle anymore to hit the big jumps (bones done bend or fix like they used to).
    Just do it i’d say.
    Ive always ridden track from being a kid so no brainier for me. Pro XL or 21inch TT is the way forward if your a 6footer. You can go bigger but to me they feel like farm gates. Get to a track, ask and have a lap, most if not all track riders are aprochable folk, then all you need to do is go buy one.
    As Noltae said BMXtalk has a great classified section, Pinkbike sometimes has a bargain sitting in the classifieds or there’s always Evilbay. Get an idea of worth before buying though

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

This thought has crossed my mind too and dirt jumping, what could possibly go wrong?

See you in month or twos time broke (sacked from work too much time off), toothless, in a full body cast and a very reasonable priced BMX for sale.

twistedpencil

Started off as a means to ride with the kids, oldest one is now competing and doing well, I try and race but after a couple of crashes my bottle has gone!

Went from heavy cruiser to race machine below, careful, it’s a bike you can get carried away with the build. 20″ is twitchy but fun. Racing the next two weekends and the lad is racing at the euro round coming up in Manchester in October.

Great fun and a great community to be involved with.

First picture post so might not work!

EDIT: Wombling cocks, can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong, too late to sort now, suffice to say the deck needed cleaning and the masonry repointing along with a lick of wood preservative on the French doors!

Recycler
    Free Member

Great posts thanks – just so you know, I have never ridden bmx bike before, so as previously stated – what could go wrong?

Thinking second hand now – anyone rate wethepeople? they seem to be popular on the bay of E

pickle
    Free Member

Yeah you can’t go too wrong with a We The People and if turns out not too your liking you can always sell it on.

Bang a few up and lets see what they’re like, what is your budget?

nach
    Free Member

twistedpencil – Member

First picture post so might not work!

EDIT: Wombling cocks, can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong, too late to sort now, suffice to say the deck needed cleaning and the masonry repointing along with a lick of wood preservative on the French doors!

You used this URL to the web page rather than the image:

If you get the big version up and right click on it, your browser probably has an option like “open image in new tab” or the like. This might work, but it’s one hell of a long, mashed up URL google is spitting out:

Test:

Nope! The forum seems to need a file extension on the end of the URL (e.g .jpg, .gif). I suggest rehoming anything you want to post here on imgur. It’s simple to use, and the best thing about imgur URLs is that while they come out as page links like this:

http://imgur.com/l8jJn4Y

you can just add .jpg (or whatever the file type is) the the end to get directly to the file:

Stevet1
    Free Member

If you’re going to ride it a lot (more than once a week), then go ‘full BMX’ and get a whole new perspective on what quick steering feels like. There is nothing better when you are ‘on it’.
    If you think you may only ride it occasionally then consider getting a 24″ jump bike or a Sunday model ‘C’ (sort of the same thing but a big BMX rather than a small MTB). They are a lot easier to get used to if you normally ride MTB, otherwise you will spend all your time getting used to 20″ handling.
    Either way you will have fun.

twistedpencil

Cheers nach, I will digest your post properly when not in work…

Warning, BMX will mean you neglect diy stuff at home as you end up racing most weekends!

gummikuh

I have 3 BMX’s at home.
    You need to ask yourself what you really want to do?
    They are absolutely great fun and I use mine every chance I get, however I used to race BITD, and still have my race spec pro-burners.
    I also have a 24″ diamond back, which looks rough, but is a really nice rider when out with the kids and nipping to the pub/shops.
    But the cruiser is harder to lift off the ground, whereas the 20s just want to jump.
    A lot of BMX’s are very heavy park bikes and whilst indestructible are just hard work to go anywhere, when you are 17 with attitude this is not a problem, when you are cycling with a couple of fit kids it soon gets boring.
    You can pick up lots of cheap secondhand bmx’s because they are either useless or stolen.
    Buy carefully

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Age 40+ thinking of getting a BMX -any recommendations please?’ is closed to new replies.