Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The Imitation Game
  • RustySpanner

Just got back from seeing this – Mrs S’s suggestion, no idea why…….
    🙂

It’s very good.
    Excellent cast, good script and well acted.

Can’t help thinking it could have been even better as a mini series – I’d have loved to see more on Bletchley, but then we’d lose some of Bendy Cummerbund’s nostril flaring tours de force.
    And to be fair, he’s very good.

Think they got the balance pretty much spot on given the limited time available.

Well worth a visit.

RustySpanner

Forgot to say, don’t expect a huge amount of historical accuracy, if that’s what your looking for.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

One review I read complained about the way the film tippy-toed around the guy’s sexuality and then barely covered the vile way he was treated, in the end, by the very class that he helped protect…

Thoughts?

sweepy
    Free Member

The way he was treated was a shame and a tragedy, just like all the other persecuted gays that didn’t get a pardon.

RustySpanner

Deliberately didn’t read the reviews before we went.
    Going to have to now.
    🙂

His sexuality is a central part of the story, not tiptoed around at all.

But, it’s a very glossy, shiny film.
    It’s utterly determined to show everyone in the best possible light –
    including the authorities, on all levels.
    The contrivances which ensure this occurs do jar and are quite obvious, but I’d rather not say anymore for fear of spoiling it or prejudicing others.

The tone is very ‘King’s Speech’ – a very sellable, polished version of history.
    It requires a certain suspension of disbelief, a willingness to leave your cynicism at home, but taken for what it is, I enjoyed it.

Klunk
    Free Member

he does a pretty mean celebrity imitation

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwpQp-pDS8I&spfreload=10[/video]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘The Imitation Game’ is closed to new replies.