Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • If it all goes pear shaped (Scotland)…?
  • ton

if the independence thing goes wrong, for any reason, in the future.
    will scotland be let back in?

Harry_the_Spider

Nope. We’ll chip it off and sink it.

slowjo
    Free Member

Our Glorious Leader says No!

ninfan
    Free Member

No, we’ll build a big viewing platform at the Carter bar, like on the Korean DMZ

where we can all point and laugh 😀

bigblackshed

More importantly, is the rest of the UK prepared to bail them out of the shit when King Salmond has spent all of the money he doesn’t have?

bikebouy
    Free Member

No, we’ll have built a wall higher than as Salmonds ego, no chance of climbing that.

mefty
    Free Member

No – it’s a union not the hokey-cokey.

jota180
    Free Member

It’s very unlikely to go ‘pear shaped’

If they do vote yes, I reckon they’ll either be a bit better off or a bit worse off, that’s all.
    I really can’t see a total collapse

jekkyl

will the M6 have a massive toll to travel north of carlisle? like an english tax.

tomhoward

No, we’ll have built a wall higher than as Salmonds ego, no chance of climbing that.

Not possible, it’s a bit like the universe. Massive, but no one has any real idea of just how massive, and impossible to quantify.

tinribz
    Free Member

There is no chance of a yes vote now call me Dave has played his trump card by declaring how heart broken he’ll be if we have to break up the ‘family’. 🙄

enfht
    Free Member

will scotland be let back in?

Over Mel Gibson’s dead body.

grantway
    Free Member

Hope not.
    But I think they should take the opportunity as there has been so much hatred through the years with the Scotish against the English. So I would like them to vote yes and try it alone.

Garry_Lager

It can’t really be yes – I mean even if they squeak it 53/47 or something you can’t form a country on that basis, it’s not even an electoral majority.

Most independence referenda pass with crushing majorities, like 90% plus, because they’re called in response to major events and changing circumstance. This one has been called in response to no events of any significance whatsoever, so it can’t be expected to enable such big changes.

cranberry
    Free Member

More importantly, is the rest of the UK prepared to bail them out of the shit when King Salmond has spent all of the money he doesn’t have?

Not again.

Anyway the pretend revenues from the shortbread mines that they don’t have will make Scotland the new Iceland, err Greece. err Shangri-La.

oldnpastit

They will only be allowed back in if they promise to stop saying such hurtful things about us all, and to tell us the secret recipe for deep fried mars bars.

footflaps

We can build a Game of Thrones Wall and keep the Wildings out…

JulianA
    Free Member

There is a link on the BBC website which asks ‘What might a Scottish defence force look like?’

I had a vision of hundreds of men in kilts wielding claymores and playing bagpipes coming over the hill… Scary!

transmute
    Free Member

What, like last time it happened?
    Darien Scheme
    Nah, the Chinese will just outbid us for anything of value next time.
    Smaller countries will be easy pickings, the rest of the UK is pretty defenceless as it is even as part of the E.U.
    Scotland would need an actual leader to defend itself when they buy up B.P. along with the refinery/tech companies/etc and bleed the profits away out of their economy.
    I’m not sure Salmond would be up to the challenge. Which is what I’d be more worried about if I was north of the border, if they want to go it alone, good for them, I hope it works out, but to bet it on going smoothly with Salmond at the helm! 😯
    I’d be crapping myself as the Vultures circled, playing at the big table you’d want to bring your best, the rest of the world might be all smiles to your face but they’re guaranteed to be looking at your weak spots and eying up the family silver.
    And Salmond reckons he can do regime change in a year? Yeah, good luck with that. History tends to say that sort of thing goes really smoothly. 😉

thehustler
    Free Member

Lets say it is a yes vote, and lets say (hypothetically as said above i dont really see it happening) it did go tits up, why the hell would RUK bail them out when they’ve made their feelings known with the vote……..

footflaps

why the hell would RUK bail them out when they’ve made their feelings known with the vote

We could take them back as slaves?

j450n
    Free Member

It’s not gonna happen, there just is not the economy to support Scotland, The sooner that the Scots recognize that “Scottish” translates to “Subject of the English”, the better.

if it did go yes vote, then it should pan out like the film “Doomsday (2008)”….

Wat we gonna do about Fort Bill???

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

J450n – only been on here a week and feeling the bitterness already?.

CountZero

tomhoward – Member
    Not possible, it’s a bit like the universe. Massive, but no one has any real idea of just how massive, and impossible to quantify.

😆
    Anyone read Charles Stross’ Halting State? It posits a Scotland after independence, as part of a story involving money laundering through on-line AD&D MMORG games. Terrific fun.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Scotland would need an actual leader to defend itself when they buy up B.P. along with the refinery/tech companies/etc and bleed the profits away out of their economy.

The way the strong English leadership has defended the UK car industry so that the profits from automotive manufacuring don’t get….?

Anyway, there are more important things to discuss, ton, stop fannying about with this nonsense, get yourself up here and enjoy yourself – the weather’s looking fine just now.

murf
    Free Member

I’ll be standing at the boat club in Ft Bill with my blunderbuss charging you a fortune to get in!
    No English notes will be accepted of course, just a snooty expression and a “What is that?”

😉

transmute
    Free Member

The way the strong English leadership has defended the UK car industry so that the profits from automotive manufacuring don’t get….?

Exactly, just with much less of a position of strength and with a leader that doesn’t like to cloud his dreams with details or reality (even more than the usual bunch in Westminster! ).
    The Uk might have sold it’s legs and is busy bleeding to death but it’s big enough to take bigger people down with it so we are kept upright by the power of agreed denial. Scotland on the other hand.
    Not so much.
    If Salmond gets it wrong, Scotland gets hammered and globally no one will care.

waihiboy
    Free Member

I would put my mortgage on it being a NO vote

tomhoward

I would put my mortgage on it being a NO vote

Go on then?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I want to see that betting slip.

chickenman

There seems to be a big presumption that the referendum is driven by anti Englishness. I’ve talked to dozens of people up here and anti Englishness don’t feature at all. Of course we have anti English jokes just like you guys have anti Irish/Welsh/French/German/Scottish or just plain anti Jonny Foreigner jokes.
    From up here it seems like Britain is a country that has closed all its industries and relies upon gambling on the stock market for survival. The part of the country that has benefited is the South East of the country; everybody else has been left to rot, so it appears.
    There is a real groundswell of opinion up here that thinks the status quo stinks and thinks we could hardly do worse for ourselves.
    There is some empathy for the part of England not in the SE that will get lumped with the status quo regardless.

Garry_Lager

Nae value in no down the bookies. Yes on the other hand – 3/1 last I saw. Anyone heaved on?

zippykona

We don’t need another Scotland thread so I’ll jump in on this one.
    If (as I am) you are English why do you want the Scots to stay?
    For me I just know the separation will be an endless money pit and that we will just have loads of tit for tat policies of scorned lovers.

Northwind

chickenman – Member

There seems to be a big presumption that the referendum is driven by anti Englishness.

Brilliant conversation at the uni- man tells 3 people on a Yes stand that they’re only pro-independence because they hate the english. 2 out of 3 Yes campaigners turn out to be english. Man accuses them of self-loathing.

molgrips
    Free Member

If (as I am) you are English why do you want the Scots to stay?

Well, I’m half English, and I want them to stay. Mainly because I think that unity is better than division. A federal UK would be ideal, IMO, and if they leave we’ll never get it.

Also I’m no fan of Tory governments, and having a bunch of my allies just bugger off and leave me to the wolves does make me a bit depressed.

From up here it seems like Britain is a country that has closed all its industries and relies upon gambling on the stock market for survival.

Don’t be ridiculous. You’re reading too much hysterical media by the looks of things. For a start, we have manufacturing. But whilst we are a service-based economy, that doesn’t mean financial gambling.

I work in a service industry – I help people get their shit done, it’s very productive.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Haha! Classic NW!

Bloody walloper.

bencooper
    Free Member

Brilliant conversation at the uni- man tells 3 people on a Yes stand that they’re only pro-independence because they hate the english. 2 out of 3 Yes campaigners turn out to be english. Man accuses them of self-loathing.

😀

Remarkably like a phone call I had from a shouty woman a few days ago.

ton

my great grandad was from aberdeen. so i have a bit of scotland in me. it it is heritage which i dont want to see destroyed.

chickenman

Hmmm Mols: Strikes me you need to supply something that people abroad want to buy and that brings money into peoples pockets rather than people here who buy services and the money comes from where?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘If it all goes pear shaped (Scotland)…?’ is closed to new replies.