Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • The I'm Dave Diet
  • No, not a pisstake – my name is Dave.

Now I’m casting no aspertions on the iDave, as I haven’t even taken time to look at what it consists of – no need. I know some get on with it, some don’t, so thought I’d post mine – bit’s I’ve brushed on in other threads.

Mine is a very loose structure and I don’t suppose you could call it a diet, so much as a way of eating. Anyway………

Things I’ve cut out are:

Bread, fast food, chips, greasy breakfasts (inc McDonalds breakfasts), high fat crisps, pasties, pre-packed snack foods (never really been a big cake, chocolate or pastry eater) – although an occassional taste of any of these does no harm.

Things I do eat are:

(bear in mind I work away from home and stay in a Travelodge, so food preparation possibilities are limited)

Lots of fruit, cherry tomatoes, sweet peppers.
    Tescos Cous-cous with roasted veg, or Morroccan Style, 3 bean salads.
    Lean ham, chicken (ok, processed to a degree, but the best quality I can get pre-packed), fish, fish, fish – prawns, mixed seafood, tinned mackerel in spicy tomato sauce.
    Ryvita & cottage cheese (nice with mackerel on top)
    Ainsley Harriot Szechuan cup soups
    Low fat/low carb crisps – French Fries, or Quavers
    Occassional fry-up – try and leave out eggs and bread though, but do occassionally have a bacon butty.
    Usually a roast chicken Sunday dinner at the weekend.

What I do eat occassionally (moderation is key):

Bacon, chicken kebab, curry, or chinese. Tend to have a meal out every weekend/other weekend with Mrs STR.

What I have a lot of:

I still drink a lot of booze, so if I could cut that out I’d be on an even bigger winner.
    Coffee – two teaspoons of coffee (or filter when poss), one heaped spoon of sugar, semi-skimmed.

Water intake is usually around 1.5l per day – more in summer.

Eating habits:

Little and often.
    More in the morning/lunch – a bit in the afternoon, but nothing much at all after 5-6pm. Eat when hungry, rather than at a set time and I actually consume probably 2/3 the amount I used to over 24hrs.

Exercise:

Gym Saturday & Sunday for 1-1.5hrs. Only 15 mins cardiovascular and the rest weights. Usually moving at work, sometime strenuous, sometimes not at all. Few press-ups etc in the week. Biking – not happening at the moment.

It all works a treat for me – I get to eat nice things, don’t miss what I have cut out and have lost a decent amount of weight. settled just around/above 11.5st – which saying I’m nearly 6ft and have a reasonable amount of muscle is about right I’d say.

As I said, not a lot of structure to it, but it works for me – I think the main key is my actual eating habits and cutting out bread.

cynic-al
    Free Member

pics of the 6 pack please?

K’off al 😉

emsz
    Free Member

no chips?!?

**** off

Ok, emsz – that should have been in the occassional slot 😉

emsz
    Free Member

too right, can’t have a night on the lash and not have chips. 😆

tagger
    Free Member

How much wait have you lost? You say 11 odd stone and 6ft, you do waights too, don’t you.
    I’m looking to lose about 3 stones and get to around 11-12 stone and 6 foot 2 and be buff too. I imagine 11.5 stone and 6ft would get the attention of the ladies. What sort of waits are you pushing?

BoardinBob

How much wait have you lost? You say 11 odd stone and 6ft, you do waights too, don’t you.
    I’m looking to lose about 3 stones and get to around 11-12 stone and 6 foot 2 and be buff too. I imagine 11.5 stone and 6ft would get the attention of the ladies. What sort of waits are you pushing?

Jesus christ!

tagger
    Free Member

Jesus Christ!

He who casts the first stone, you smug git. 😀
    Back to the OP, I’m doing aboput 150 push ups and 200 sit ups when I can. Will this help? Kicking the Maccy Ds I think is important to.

tagger – ignore Bob

Bob – if tagger is dyslexic, you should feel a bit of a nob right now.

tagger – if you aren’t dyslexic, then Jesus Christ! 😉

Anyway – recent weight loss is 2st from 13.5st in 3-4 months. A couple of years (maybe 3 years) ago I went from 15.5st to 12.5st in 6 months doing similar – but in an office job and biking instead of gym etc.

*edit*

What kind of weight are you pushing?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I imagine 11.5 stone and 6ft would get the attention of the ladies

Unless you’re stood behind a 6ft pole.

tagger
    Free Member

Anyway – recent weight loss is 2st from 13.5st in 3-4 months

Thats not bad. I think most of my w-e-i-g-t-h is from beer as I’ve got a bit of a gut. I do lots of sits ups and press ups cos I used to play a bit of rugby but stopped after an injury and without the rugby traing I started to put on the pounds. Still got to go out with the lads, don’t you?
    Anyways, I’m looking to get the six pack back, will sits ups be enough and how many? I want to get back into the rugby a bit and look good.

Fair do’s, I’ll be struggling to get anywhere near that for a while. Thats pretty good lifting.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

tagger – you’re taking the piss, right?

tagger
    Free Member

tagger – you’re taking the piss, right?

Why do you sya that?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

6’2″… between 11 and 12 stone… rugby player?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Tagger, I’m the same as you but I managed to lose my beer gut and get my six pack back.

I like the bevvies on the weekend, but whenever the lads use to get the pints in, I’d always get a pint of shandy made with half lager half soda water. So in effect Im drinking half the beer I used to and Im being hydrated at the same time.

Another thing I did was get rid of my office chair at work. Now do all my work standing – its far better cos you dont knacker yur posture and you burn more calories stood up.

Hmmm, I’m begining to wonder TSY…

*strokes chin*

A cynic-al alter-ego maybe?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its all about sneaking the exercise into your daily routine aswell.

When I go shopping for example, I pack all the heavy things into the basket first, then use it on one arm for arm lifts whilst Im browsing the rest of the supermarket.

tagger
    Free Member

6’2″… between 11 and 12 stone… rugby player?

I waiyed more when I played. 🙄 Now I want to get down to around 11.5-12 and play less because of my injury and less competitive. Non of us are getting any younger. LOL.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

David – that sounds so much more simple than the dry stone walling I’ve been doing. As for catching squirrels… I’m going very hungry.

rewski
    Free Member

Ainsley Harriot? FAIL

rewski – it’s really nice and 60 something Kcals per cup

(ah, ok Harriott)

rewski
    Free Member

Really, how much Suzy salt is in it?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Non of us are getting any younger

I am, it’s all down to the diet I’ve created. I’m going to serialize it in a national newspaper.

I don’t really care about the salt content rewski, as the rest of my diet is pretty balanced and 4 sachets a week is hardly going to kill me.

I will update the sodium/salt content tomorrow though.

tagger
    Free Member

I am, it’s all down to the diet I’ve created. I’m going to serialize it in a national newspaper.

Will I be able to drink and still lose wait w-e-i-g-t-h? I’ve seen the iDave diet and it looks too much, no this, no that! I want to enjoy my food and a beer or two. 😉

rewski
    Free Member

I was having a pop at Ainsley really, he winds me right up with all percy pepper bollix, I’m sure they’re very nice. Why no biking at the mo, out of interest?

spacemonkey

Hmm, interesting. Do you reckon it’s a combination of the weights and not eating after 6pm that’s made the most impact?

I know I should do weights, but they’re so damn boring. Not eating post-6pm isn’t really an option either – but I’ve heard other people swear by it.

Ah, can’t stand Ainsley mesen either.

No biking due to working away from home and no time at weekends. An hour at the gym is do-able, but a ride has to be at least an hour and a half, which with the faffing and post ride clean down equates to 2 and a half to 3 hours. Add to that I’ve just dropped out of the whole rythym of biking – I’m either doing it, or I’m not. There isn’t really any middle ground with me i.e. occassional rides.

spacemonkey – not the weights, that’s just toning me up.

Eating habits is the key for weight loss. I will eat after 6pm, but never a big evening meal (odd weekend takeaway excepted).

spacemonkey

spacemonkey – not the weights, that’s just toning me up.

But a fair few people swear that doing the right weights has a significant impact on calorie burn/weight loss. So would you say they helped you shift more pounds in the early days but are now more suited to keeping tone?

Nope, never attributed weights to calorie burn/weight loss – although it does have some impact, but nothing significant I’d say. A strenuous workout is gonna burn calories, but nowhere near as many as an hour on a rower, or the treadmill say. Judge it by how much it makes you sweat as a rough guide.

tagger
    Free Member

But a fair few people swear that doing the right weights has a significant impact on calorie burn/weight loss.

I’ve heard this but they have a seriously high protien diet. I was wandering if sits ups and push ups would be the same or I have to go to the gym too. It took a while to get out of shape I think itll take a long time to get back. Will I have to give up alcohol because you say that giving up beer will give you better results but iDave says red wine is ok and you say that you are in shape by drinking.

spacemonkey

A strenuous workout is gonna burn calories, but nowhere near as many as an hour on a rower, or the treadmill say. Judge it by how much it makes you sweat as a rough guide.

While I’m a fan of the ‘you get out what you put in’ school of fitness/weight loss, I do think there’s some truth in stuff like Zone 2 – and that’s not nearly enough to get a sweat on.

I know what you’re saying, but I think there are other more scientific models out there – it’s not just a case of ‘going for it’, i.e. sweating masses or ‘getting out what you put in’.

I suppose the upshot is STILL finding a way to combine a sensible diet (which isn’t the same for everyone) with the right exercise, i.e. mixing up weights with cardio, speed, strength, endurance, intervals etc. Not so easy now with a family!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

tagger – I drink almost every night, couple of glasses of red wine… it has anti-oxidant benefits so it actually helps reduce the free radicals created by press ups and sit ups. This should mean that your able to exercise more frequently.

tagger
    Free Member

tagger – I drink almost every night, couple of glasses of red wine..

I’ve seen that on the iDave diet but I think its a bit extreem, I think that I can drink beer on this one and still lose weigth. I know their are no photos but TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR said that he reckons he’s quite buff and eats ok, I think this is the way forward.

It all works a treat for me – I get to eat nice things, don’t miss what I have cut out and have lost a decent amount of weight. settled just around/above 11.5st – which saying I’m nearly 6ft and have a reasonable amount of muscle is about right I’d say.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

tagger – reasonable is subjective but I’m willing to support you in whatever choice you make. I’ve not had a project since pshycle tried to lose 10kg in 2 weeks. Be wary of TheArtist though as he smashes out over 100 press ups in suckseshion. in one go.

tagger
    Free Member

Be wary of TheArtist though as he smashes out over 100 press ups in suckseshion. in one go.

If he’s pushing the weigths like he said in the other thread I’m not suprised. I did the 100 press up challenge and got to week five and can do more or less 150 in an evening. I can’t work out how this works TheArtist says that he deosn’t attribute weigths to weigth loss and the food looks ok and drinking is allowed. I’m trying to see how I can lose this extra couple of stone I put on. I do press ups and sits ups, would going to the gym have an affect.

I don’t though TSY – never done over 100 in one go, ok in one session it’s easy if you do 25-50, rest then carry on.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ah man, you could’ve claimed that one!!

Who said they do 100 then? Tagger – you need to a personal trainer and a gym membership.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘The I'm Dave Diet’ is closed to new replies.