• This topic has 90 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by irc.
Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • 'The Greenest Government Ever' and wind turbines?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Fluid batteries ftw.

molgrips
    Free Member

‘They’ should be promoting Thorium Nuclear fission, but oh no, there is no weapons grade by product.

Isn’t that untested and has some engineering problems?

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s tested and has some problems that would have no doubt been solved by now if the same level of commitment had been shown to 232 as 235/238.

molgrips
    Free Member

some problems that would have no doubt been solved by now

Ah yes. That old chesnut.

Edukator
    Free Member

Well they’ve had 232/235 reactors running and producing steady power even if they didn’t produce electricity. That’s a lot better than fusion on which a lot more has been spent to demonstrate that we’re several decades away from producing power for more than seconds let alone harness it.

FWIW, I put thorium in the same filthy box as any other uranium based nuclear power and would rather see energy saving as the priority.

derekfish
    Free Member

They’ve got Thorium Reactors working in Norway and India I believe and it doesn’t have the same waste issues as Uranium, it works, we could have it now, whereas Fusion is still unproven imv.

There’s a load of stuff about it on youtube if you do a search, hours of it.

derekfish
    Free Member

Politically they could suggest it to Iran as well, then see if it really was nuclear power or weapons they are after..

Edukator
    Free Member

The yanks made a 233 bomb over half a century ago, I doubt the Iranians would have much trouble. Thorium reactors produce 233 so the idea thorium reactors can’t be used to produce bomb material is false.

dragon
    Free Member

They’ve got Thorium Reactors working in Norway and India I believe

They haven’t really Norway’s is a trial and India have yet to produce a commercial working example. India is obsessed with it because it’s their big hope as they’d be energy independent, but the facts they’ve put out over the years as to how close they are to having a working reactor don’t quite match with reality.

Anyway why waste money on unproven tech, when you could jut buy a ‘standard’ nuclear reactor and have done with it. Thorium is yet a further example of the Green movement doing more damage than it solves.

derekfish
    Free Member

Edukator – Troll
    The yanks made a 233 bomb over half a century ago, I doubt the Iranians would have much trouble. Thorium reactors produce 233 so the idea thorium reactors can’t be used to produce bomb material is false.

Really, I had no idea, so somebody is clearly misrepresenting the stuff, which does beg the question why not use it more often then, there’s lots of it about I gather.

So, more importantly, forgive me for asking but I couldn’t help notice you are labelled – Troll, how does one manage that, there’s a chap on another thread that could make better use of it?

irc

Meanwhile in Scotland… 39% of Scottish electricity generation is renewable- the single biggest generation method.

Really? In Dec 2013 the Scottish Govt thought it was 29% renewables and the biggest was nuclear at 34%. Unlike renewables nuclear is baseload which doesn’t need the wind to be blowing or the sun to be shining.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Business/TrendElectricity

Wind currently supplying 1.3% of UK demand

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

The unspoken problem for Scottish renewables is that it depends on UK wide subsidy. If there is a yes vote will rUK consumers still be happy doing this?

http://www.scotsman.com/news/brian-wilson-so-much-for-the-power-of-scotland-1-3357697

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘'The Greenest Government Ever' and wind turbines?’ is closed to new replies.