Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Any West Yorkshire road riders
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

I’m going up in a few weeks and need to get some training road miles in. I’m looking for a decent road route of around 75 miles that goes either through or pretty close to Slaithwaite. Anyone got a GPX of such a thing? Failing that, I’ll make a stab at putting one together myself, but a tried and tested route would be much preferable if anyone can assist. Cheers!

sandwicheater

Nothing to do with a route but can really recommend a stop at the bakery by the canal for a coffee and food, tis yummy.

The Handmade Bakery

theflatboy
    Free Member

Good idea- my in-laws live just up by the reservoir so I’ll suggest a visit to refuel afterwards!

crikey
    Free Member

Loads of options…
    From Slaithwaite go west over to Uppermill, north a bit through Delph and Denshaw then up onto the moors again, down to Greetland, Sowerby bridge, over the hill to Denshaw again, round to Greenfield, over to Holmfirth, up Holme Moss then back down the same way, down the valley towards Huddersfield, then back to Slaithwaite.

Dunno how far that would be, but enough.

Or Slaithwaite, Denshaw, Shaw, Milnrow, Littleborough, Todmorden, Hebden Bridge, Sowerby Bridge, Greetland, west up Saddleworth road, then drop into Slaithwaite.

Or just ride up Scapegoat hill 35 times.

theflatboy
    Free Member

crikey, cheers I’ll plot those options out later and see how the mileage looks. I can see plenty of roads and know a few of them near Slaithwaite but a little concerned about ending up 30 miles away going down farm tracks and not knowing the alternatives!

theteaboy
    Free Member

Slawit > Meltham > Holmfirth > Holme Moss > Glossop > Snake > Strines > Midhopestones > Flouch > Holmfirth > Slawit

ton

get in touch with sanity assassin off here. he is local, and will drag you round a nice easy road route.. 😀

theflatboy
    Free Member

teaboy – appropriately succinct, thanks!

and cheers ton – i’m a bit nervous of exactly how easy we’re talking. I don’t want easy but round there I’m not sure that’s an option anyway, and difficult will definitely be difficult!

djglover
    Free Member

Ronde Van Calderdale route? 10K of climbing in 75 miles 😆

mintimperial

When are you riding? Me and a couple of mates usually do 3 hours or so at the crack of dawn on Saturday, 6AM start, back for 9ish. If you need to fit riding in with family stuff you’d be welcome to join us.

Drop me an email: my username at gmail dot com.

dmorts

Slaithwaite

Make sure you know how to pronounce this before you go

theflatboy
    Free Member

Mint, that could be absolutely perfect – we’re talking Saturday 1 March, and early start is fine by me. I’ll drop you an email about it at some point shortly. Cheers.

theflatboy
    Free Member

dmorts – cheers, I’m all over that after years of visiting the wife’s family up there!

mintimperial

Smashing! If something comes up and you can’t make it I’ll be able to sort you out with a few GPS tracks. 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Even though I’ve done it a fair bit, I wouldn’t ride on the Snake Pass these days; too many cars, driving too fast for comfort. If you do go that way, I’d aim to be getting off it by 8:30 at the latest, maybe later on a Sunday.

Maybe I’m just getting soft in my old age!

crikey
    Free Member

Another one;

Slaithwaite >Delph >Denshaw >Rishworth/Ripponden >Littleborough >Tod >Hebden >Mytholmroyd >Cragg Vale >Ripponden >Sowerby >Greetland > Denshaw via Scammonden >Slaithwaite.

76 miles.

fubar
    Free Member

Denshaw via Scammonden >Slaithwaite.

You should ride this (A640 Huddersield Road) if you haven’t before. The section from Denshaw to the top above March Haigh resevoir is my favourite section of road for cycling (smooth, very little traffic and picturesque)

theflatboy
    Free Member

Thanks guys, more very good suggestions. I’ll make a note of all these. Very helpful. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

mint, YGM.

davetrave
    Free Member

Denshaw via Scammonden >Slaithwaite.

You should ride this (A640 Huddersield Road) if you haven’t before. The section from Denshaw to the top above March Haigh resevoir is my favourite section of road for cycling (smooth, very little traffic and picturesque)

+1, as a former Saddleworth local, and hopefully again in the next 12-18 months… Then head through Holmfirth over to Yorkshire Sculpture Park to refuel before heading back.

jamesr
    Free Member

If you’re out during the week and want a guide, drop me a line.
    Email is jamesrobertss at yahoo dott com
    Cheers

BadlyWiredDog

Even though I’ve done it a fair bit, I wouldn’t ride on the Snake Pass these days; too many cars, driving too fast for comfort. If you do go that way, I’d aim to be getting off it by 8:30 at the latest, maybe later on a Sunday.

I was about to say that, I’d also steer clear of the Woodhead for similar reasons. Too many big lorries and crosswinds.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll be riding solo after all. I will look into the options people have suggested above, but if people have any GPX routes they could ping my way – email is my username at gmail dot com – of anything from say 40 – 70 miles that goes through or near Slaithwaite it would be much appreciated. It’s much nicer knowing that you’re doing a tested route rather than a shot in the dark.

Cheers all!

edit, and james – thanks for the offer, i won’t be there in the week this time but will let you know in future.

TheSanityAssassin

Shame you’re not out on the Sunday morning, you’d be very welcome to join the Hudds Star Wheelers on our weekly club run.
    Failing that, my suggestion would be: Slawit, Longroyd Bridge, Folly Hall, Lockwood, Brockholes, New Mill, Victoria, Flouch, Langsett, Strines, Ladybower, Snake Pass (no probs with traffic when climbing it in this direction), Glossop, Woodhead Pass, Holme Moss, Holmfirth then retrace the route back through Lockwood etc. It’s a bit lumpy, but some of the scenery is breathtaking.

Rscott
    Free Member

Sorry to Hi Jack the thread but does anyone know where i can get a map for the Round von calderdale, Short and long.

TheSanityAssassin

Have you tried their FaceFaff page?

And it’s Ronde Van Calderdale.

Rscott
    Free Member

Sanity Assassin I will try that if Im honest only had a road bike 6 months so its actuly the first I ever heard of it.

Thanks

theflatboy
    Free Member

Assassin, I was thinking this morning that Sunday might work better, actually – I will get there late on Friday night so don’t fancy having to push to get out early on Saturday, though I might do a short ride with the FIL. What’s the set-up for Sunday, particularly distance / pace?

I have looked on RidewithGPS and there are plenty of routes to choose from anyway, which is useful.

theflatboy
    Free Member

bump.

TheSanityAssassin

There’s a choice of 2 club rides on the Sunday. Both leave the train station in Huddersfield at 9.00am – a shorter ride of upto 60 miles at a reasonably steady pace (at a guess around the 16mph ave over undulating terrain) and a longer run upto 80 miles at an ave of around 18+mph ave over similarly lumpy terrain. The ave mph will go up if we head East into flatter country. We often cruise in formation in the high 20s mph if it’s flat. Having experience of group riding (2up, close formation) is required for the faster group for safety reasons.
    You’ll be made to feel welcome and folk will have a chat both en route and at the cafe stop. I can ride into town with you and can also ride home with you too, if you give it a go with the faster group, as I’m Golcar based. We’ll usually be home between 1.30 and 2.00pm.
    I also usually go for a leg-stretcher on a Saturday to loosen up a bit. Anywhere between 25 and 40 miles at a steady pace just to get the legs moving.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Sanity, that sounds very good and thanks for the reply. I’m quite tempted to take you up on that. I haven’t done club / group riding like that before, and pace-wise as I’m not used to the terrain up there I would probably go for the slow group anyway to be on the safe side so that sounds like a good option.

I will doublecheck our plans and make sure that timing would definitely work, and drop you an email in the next few days.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I went out over Holme Moss and up Woodhead Pass this morning with the FIL, nice little 35 mile loop all in. I do love the roads / scenery you’ve got up here – a bit different from what I’m used to!

I’m going to have to fly solo tomorrow due to timing, I’ve got a 62 mile loop over the same roads as today but going out round Snake and back instead of cutting up Woodhead… 7,500ft of climbing…!

satchm00
    Free Member

How did you get you on?

I was up at Emley Moor other day, saw lots of roadies having a rest.

I’m moving to the area does anyone have advice for off road routes? i’ve noticed lots of bridleways marked on the map.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Hi, only just seen this.

In the end due to timing, I went out for a ride on the Saturday with my father in law (he is over 60 and I inadvertently took him on the longest ride he’d ever been on!), and then due to timing went out by myself on the Sunday for a fairly hilly mid length ride – not too fast but tiring enough!

Both are here if you are interested:
    http://www.strava.com/activities/116901686
    http://www.strava.com/activities/117171723

hora
    Free Member

Huddersfield etc is full of road riding. Eurika- I know the area by second nature. Thanks- I’ll start my first road rides over Hudds way. 🙂 – I was scratching my head ‘where’ to ride.

stevious

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Any West Yorkshire road riders’ is closed to new replies.