Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 2,074 total)
  • The F1 2015 thread…
  • ScottChegg
    Free Member

The FIA report did not say it was bypassed, but that there was a ‘clash’ of conflicting algorithms.

Which likely means they didn’y understand it.

The ECU in every F1 are made by McLaren. The external systems from each individual team have to work with it. It’s easy to see how there could be compatibility issues that only show up in extreme circumstances.

You can bet they will be checking for that now though. Hopefully.

retro83
    Free Member

ScottChegg – Member
    It does the opposite. Both pedals fully down is the panic mode in an F1 car. It should shut down the engine immediately as well as applying the brakes. It’s know as FailSafe.

Bianchi’s car didn’t behave due to a software clash with the brake by wire system. It ended up applying full throttle when he wanted considerably less.

Do you mean that drivers press both pedals intentionally to shut down the car during a crash? FailSafe doesn’t do that, it just cuts the accelerator input when the brake pedal is completely depressed. Apols if I’ve misunderstood.

Anyway he was on wet grass with both front wheels locked. He was always going to find the crane.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The FIA report stated this

7.During the 2 seconds Bianchi’s car was leaving the track and traversing the run-off area, he applied both throttle and brake together, using both feet. The FailSafe algorithm is designed to over-ride the throttle and cut the engine, but was inhibited by the Torque Coordinator, which controls the rear Brake-by-Wire system. Bianchi’s Marussia has a unique design of BBW, which proved to be incompatible with the FailSafe settings.

Which I understand to read as I interpreted above. Feel free to point me in the right direction if not. 😀

In more surprising news, Bernie Ecclescake seems to be talking sense today! His comments about customer chassis for smaller teams make a good case for changing the rules to allow it.

nemesis
    Free Member

I read it differently – I read that when brake is applied (or over a certain amount probably – I know they use throttle to balance the attitude of the car while braking which I think is where the specific issue with the Marussia BBW wasn’t compatible), the throttle is cut, not that you have to floor both to get it to cut which wouldn’t make much sense IMO – I can’t see that JB did it deliberately – at a minimum, given the responsiveness of an F1 engine, flooring the throttle would even momentarily power the rear wheels which would be the last thing you’d want if you were heading for a crash.

jota180
    Free Member

I’m not at all keen on customer cars or chassis.
    the big teams would simply use the small teams as test beds.
    I’d rather see more cost control and a lot more money going to the smaller teams.
    The extra prize money should be minimal with a relitively equal share of the pot between all teams.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

not that you have to floor both to get it to cut which wouldn’t make much sense IMO

It would make more sense than a bit of left foot brake mid corner then the engine cuts out unexpectedly. Where would you set the threshold?

nemesis
    Free Member

Well that’s the bit that I understood Marussia has messed with – eg they used their BBW with throttle response to control it. You could still set the threshold fairly high (on brake pressure) and have no issue.

Trimix
    Free Member

But he still would have hit the back of the JCB though, wouldn’t he ?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

He would. But he might have been going a little bit slower.

legend
    Free Member

jota180 – Member

the big teams would simply use the small teams as test beds.

Nah, giving customers new stuff puts you at risk of the customer having a better car than you which would be highly embarassing. They’d keep them a mod or two behind (MotoGP style)

jfletch
    Free Member

Not allowing a customer chassis is kind of the thing that makes F1, F1 though isn’t it?

Build a car and come racing.

If you can just rock up and buy last year’s Ferarri and go racing it would destroy the sport, there is no reason for even mid table teams to make their own car. So you end up with a small band of car manufacturers who dominate the sport and a load of also rans struggling by using their cast offs a la Moto GP. 3 car teams would also be inevitable.

If a customer chassis was an option 10 years ago it’s doubtful a team like Red Bull would exist as it does now

legend
    Free Member

So you end up with a small band of car manufacturers who dominate the sport

there’s always a small number of manufacturer/teams dominating the sport though, I don’t believe you’d see a massive change tbh. but last years Mercedes (for example) might be quite a desirable tool to have, and would certainly be faster than many 2015 built cars (especially as it would still benefit from upgrades)

Also leads to the possibility of larger grids as the start up costs are less prohibitive

the-muffin-man

Helmets for 2015…

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/03/09/2015-f1-driver-helmets-in-pictures/

Not allowing a customer chassis is kind of the thing that makes F1, F1 though isn’t it?

F1 in the 70s was built on small teams codging an entry together from what they could get hold of. A cheap engine and chassis could start a whole new set of teams that may go on to greater things a few years down the line.

Pook

Justin King, ex M&S and Sainsburys boss is in at Manor; grooming him for the top job??

back2basics
    Free Member

So first crash of the season (starting in Q1) who do we think?

(Maldo is excluded from this game! 🙂 )

KonaTC

(Maldo is excluded from this game! )

Bugger that’s my best guess ruined, Felipe Nasr has bought his seat so could be a contender

the-muffin-man

So first crash of the season (starting in Q1) who do we think?

Will Stevens

Rookie driver in a team rushed together in a couple of weeks.

back2basics
    Free Member

@the-muffin-man

yeah i’d go for him too –
    pushing too hard, wanting to impress, car half finished – slide, bonk, no spares, out.

andytherocketeer

if not him then the dutch guy.

edit: 3 practice sessions first though. i’m sure at least one car will get a total rebuild before Q1

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Stevens kept his nose clean in a race last year didn’t he? Last race of the season for Caterham?

thepurist

It was easy to keep his nose clean though, in that Caterham he never got close enough behind anyone to damage it.

jota180
    Free Member

if not him then the dutch guy

Giedo van der Garde?

He’s too busy suing Sauber in the Melbourne court to have any time for driving

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

My understanding of the article is that mehri is contracted for the first race only.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/31808243

Either they want to see how good he is or wait until they can get someone with more cash for the actual 2015 car. I suppose it doesnt matter if they have rookies in the car as they wont be relying on their immediate feedback.

Also it seems that they could pickup up a few more ex caterham assets. Sainz / Verstappen for the first crash in oz

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

If it’s windy then the McLaren will be the first one in the wall, hope they’ve got a good supply of nurofen.

Trimix
    Free Member

No, first crash will be Hamilton and Rosburg at the first corner – both trying to dominate the season from the start 🙂

Followed by the rest of them who all crash into the back, leaving Stevens to drive round the mess to take the win.

back2basics
    Free Member

Alonso “shock” rumor/theory = possible FIA cover-up because they would be forced to prevent all teams from using KERS and therefore destroy F1’s total image not only for hybrid power, but also they would be going round slower than someone-who-thinks-they-are-a-star in a reasonably priced car, and making less noise too!

andytherocketeer

hamilton rosberg might be the first crash in the race. but them crashing in Q1 would be like Coulthard? crashing on the out lap.

even then there’s scope for carnage behind hamilton and rosberg just before they get to the 1st corner. maldonado or grosjean for that. all the rookies will be behind the “action”.

hora
    Free Member

My prediction:

Lewis stalls on the grid. Fights his way back upto 2nd passing Nico. Riccardo first.

Bottas 4th.

martinhutch

Crash – Carlos Sainz Jr. Trying to impress dad with a daring move at the first corner…

Podium – Rosberg, Riccardo, Hamilton.

the-muffin-man

So who’ll be up at 4.30am on Sunday to watch the race live!?

I like the earlier start time, I’d grown to miss getting up in the middle of the night!

Trimix
    Free Member

I will be up for it.

the-muffin-man

Slightly off topic – 2015 Indy Car Aero Kits are starting to come out. Some old skool F1 going on here!…

johndoh
    Free Member

So who’ll be up at 4.30am on Sunday to watch the race live!?

Going to a big birthday party so I am planning on still being up from Saturday night….

nemesis
    Free Member

Nah, I’ll do what I’ve always done – record it and watch it ‘live’ at around 7am instead.

cyclistm
    Free Member

bbc

Well this doesn’t really clear the Akonso events up does it? It really shows an us and them relationship between mclaren and slonso. Also, I didn’t realise Briatore manages Alonso. 😐

I don’t think we will see Alonso in a mclaren again this year on the basis of this report.

shermer75
    Free Member

Always been a bit of a Sauber fan, but this is a right mess.

Pitpass

Australian court has ruled in favour of GVG. The weirdest bit is GVG’s comments about his ‘good working relationship with the team’. Hmm, not so sure about that one, Giedo..,

shermer75
    Free Member

Also, I didn’t realise Briatore manages Alonso.

Me neither! I thought he was long gone after that scandal.

It really shows an us and them relationship between mclaren and slonso.

I’ve read the article but I’m also a bit thick. What am I missing?

the-muffin-man

Well this doesn’t really clear the Akonso events up does it? It really shows an us and them relationship between mclaren and slonso. Also, I didn’t realise Briatore manages Alonso.

I don’t think we will see Alonso in a mclaren again this year on the basis of this report.

I’m inclined to agree with you. It was always a marriage of convenience. The fact he won’t be in Australia at all speaks volumes to me.

cyclistm
    Free Member

McLaren had given Alonso no information about whether the car had a steering problem
    McLaren’s communications on the accident were “not brilliant”
    Reacting to speculation that Alonso suffered an electric shock, causing him to crash, Briatore responded: “I hope not.

I guess the above comments point to a distinct lack of collaboration between the team and driver. I don’t know if this is normal or not, I always assumed the relationships would be more cohesive and there would be consistent messages coming from the team and driver. This doesnt reflect this in my eyes.

hora
    Free Member

The fact he won’t be in Australia at all speaks volumes to me.

I thought that hence why I think there will be some sort of revelation or announcement before the next race.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 2,074 total)

The topic ‘The F1 2015 thread…’ is closed to new replies.