Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 2,074 total)
  • The F1 2015 thread…
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Isn’t that meant to be on the boob job thread.

Actually, Eddie Jordan’s role fits that title better.

renton
    Free Member

Is it me or do none of the people on the grid want to talk to coultard. It’s terrible to watch.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Cider in fridge and in hand. Tunnocks dark choc wafers. Bring it on.

Pook

Rosberg gets the call on the pit? How does that work?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Come on Kimi

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Kimi looking good now.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

BBW fault on LH’s car?

I do hope that acronym means something other than what I know it as 😯

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Makes you worry about the BBC.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yay! Go k-dogg!

Harry_the_Spider

Blimey that was dull.

hora
    Free Member

Kimi ‘yes I am very happy’

😆

shermer75
    Free Member

Blimey that was dull.

Yep, although it looks like Ferrari are going to be stepping up to make things more interesting!

Blimey that was dull.

Really? I thought it was quite a good race

coogan
    Free Member

It gets duller each year. Only watched a bit, got bored, changed channel. And those engines sound so shit.

back2basics
    Free Member

I thought the race was ok (compared to the normal dullfest) – bit of action at the front between rosberg and vettel was good, seems ferrari are really starting to get on the ball, lets see what the upgrades for European races bring –

the rest of the field seemed a bit dull though …

pondo

And those engines sound so shit.

They sound ace.

hora
    Free Member

I must admit I liked Lewis coming out of the pits JUST ahead of britney and Vettel. That was CLOSE! 😀

The sparks too from bottoming out 😀

question- Ferrari pitstop 2.4sec, Britneys crystop 3.4 secs, Lewis the Greats pitstop 3.7secs.

Why?

nemesis
    Free Member

I like the new engines’ sound. I also love that you can hear tyre squeal now.

Pitstops – maybe because Merc didn’t need a lightning pitstop to get out in front (for LH that is) so played it a little safe. For Britney, maybe just not a great stop?

Trimix
    Free Member

Ferrari’s pitstops were about a second faster than the Merc ones !

jimjam
    Free Member

coogan
    And those engines sound so shit.

pondo

They sound ace.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it1HmrFzAIs[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPNLDCd9da8[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfkkxWGkxck[/video]

No, they sound shit. It’s not a nice or tuneful noise by any standards nevermind F1. My Subaru sounds nicer, serious.

nemesis
    Free Member

No they sound great. They sound like F1 should – hi tech and cutting edge.

YMMV of course 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

I like the way they all make really different, varied noises. Reminds me of the pod race in Star Wars! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_krCKECpzrU[/video]

dragon
    Free Member

Of all the complaints about modern F1 the noise is not a big deal. Seriously no one watches F1 for the noise alone. Better racing rather than the current drudgery with hardly any cars is what will kill F1. Reminds me of the bad old days of Indy Car when hardly any cars turned up.

pondo

No, they sound shit. It’s not a nice or tuneful noise by any standards nevermind F1. My Subaru sounds nicer, serious.

Well, thanks for posting two vids of F1 car sounds we haven’t heard in twenty years or more. I’m guessing the anodyne high-pitched whine of a more contemporary V8 isn’t interesting enough for anyone to post vids of. 🙂

Don’t mind the sound of the V8s (liked the V10s that preceded it, and loved the V12s you posted links to), but turbos were the first F1 cars I knew from the early eighties (plus DFVs of course) – I think they just sound mean. 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

nemesis – Member

They sound like F1 should – hi tech and cutting edge.

The nature of the sport and the money spent will mean they sound hi tech (within the regs). That doesn’t equate to a good sound though. It’s subjective of course, but I wouldn’t want a road car that sounded like that. To me they just sound like the product of restriction and regulation. I enjoyed the last GP but the sound of the current cars does take a bit of the drama and enjoyment away for me.

but turbos were the first F1 cars I knew from the early eighties (plus DFVs of course) – I think they just sound mean.

Me too, and despite forced induction they sounded much better than the current cars.

pondo

They’re just more refined-sounding, which is a reflection of them being a much more refined technology, the fundamental sound is pretty much the same.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So the sport has reached the point where we discuss engine noises and drivers win races get furthe rup the poddium because they can do faster pit stops

And some say the sport is dull
    Shall we discuss what aero package is kinder to tyres next?

jimjam
    Free Member

pondo

They’re just more refined-sounding, which is a reflection of them being a much more refined technology, the fundamental sound is pretty much the same.

I thought it was because they were smaller displacement lower revving engines, coupled with the turbo sucking a lot of noise from the engine, and the fact that they are trying to make them greener via regs.

pondo

Well, the old ones were only 100cc smaller, don’t know what they revved to but probably two or three thou less than the current ones. Both of them are turbo, so they’re both quieter than the atmospheric engines of their eras – obviously, back in the day it was all about ramming as much fuel and air town their necks as possible, nowadays, in search of efficiency and reduced emissions, it’s a bit less agricultural, a bit more… Refined. 🙂

thepurist

If you’re at an f1 event and hear them back to back with gp2 or 3, the modern f1 noise sounds pretty good to me. An incessant loud drone versus the complex range of sound from the f1 car, clear sound of tyres protesting, really obvious braking points and mid corner throttle. All good.

From the engineering perspective they’d want a cold smooth exhaust flow which would mean you’d got every scrap of energy out of the combustion process. That’d be properly quiet,

Anyway I hope audi are filling in their entry form now because bernie promised to step aside if his presence was stopping them.

Pook

Kimi contract delayed…..

Ferrari to delay new Raikkonen deal – http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/32383584

Lewis still not signed. How soon could be be at Ferrari do we think?

hora
    Free Member

In Pook’s link is a great interview with LH/Seb if anyone missed it?

Biggest purchase that youve made? (Seb) a house.

Lewis (pause) erm a Jet 😆

jimjam
    Free Member

thepurist – Member

If you’re at an f1 event and hear them back to back with gp2 or 3, the modern f1 noise sounds pretty good to me. An incessant loud drone versus the complex range of sound from the f1 car, clear sound of tyres protesting, really obvious braking points and mid corner throttle. All good.

The broadcasters need directional mics trackside, or even on the car to convey more of this to liven up the soundscape, but even then they are fighting a losing battle with the current cars. Many people very well placed to comment have stated how poor the noise is and how it’s bad for the sport. TBH if you’re calling GP2 cars an incessant drone I guess engine noise isn’t a big thing for you.

thepurist

Anyway I hope audi are filling in their entry form now because bernie promised to step aside if his presence was stopping them.

So we can have diesel F1 cars? Yaaaaay. Yaaaaaay. Yaaaaaaaaaay. /sarcasm.

the-muffin-man

Lewis still not signed. How soon could be be at Ferrari do we think?

Depends how far ahead he is in the Championship by Silverstone. If it looks like he’s walking it then maybe Ferrari for 2016!

Assuming Vettel relinquishes the No.1 status Lewis thinks he has.

Or…
    A new Renault F1 team looking for a lead driver (but Renault aren’t big payers)

Or…
    Back to McLaren!

Or…
    He stays where he is (which is what I think will happen).

nemesis
    Free Member

Have to say that if Hamilton wins the WC again this year then I reckon he’d consider the move to Ferrari a lot more than if not – 3 seems to be the magic number for the drivers – probably related to Senna. If you win 3 you’re a great so 4, 5, 6, etc are not so essential (Still holding off on Vettel – I still can’t see that he’s as good as Alonso or Hamilton though I don’t subscribe to the silliness that he was just lucky to be in a really good car for his four titles)

So Ferrari could probably get him to sign by not being very good this year and allowing LH to wrap up the championship early. Not going too well though so far 🙂 I suppose a few cold/wet races and it might be a different story.

Klunk
    Free Member

think lewis would quite like to get to 4 to top the table of british drivers

nemesis
    Free Member

Maybe though I get the impression that in many ways having a crack at winning in a Ferrari might be a bigger draw given his fondness for the US.

jimjam
    Free Member

So Ferrari could probably get him to sign by not being very good this year and allowing LH to wrap up the championship early.

If he was contemplating a move to Ferrari a competitive car could be a big motivating factor. Ferrari are showing they are close at the minute, but not quite up to Mercedes. If the Ferraris start blowing up, or stop being competitive I can’t see how that would entice him, unless he enjoys an uphill struggle. And if Ferrari manage to turn things around and start dominating then all the more reason to join them.

I think it’s fair to say most drivers dream of winning the World Championship for Ferrari. You can’t do that if the car’s a dog. Unless your name’s Schumacher.

nemesis
    Free Member

It wasn’t a serious comment…

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 2,074 total)

The topic ‘The F1 2015 thread…’ is closed to new replies.