Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 161 total)
  • The Dyfi Enduro Thread
  • sandwicheater

We still going for a ride Saturday? Been promised some very long sweet descent.

(and still doing sh*t!)

daz, i find that hard to believe.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

selling my entry. i’m in no shape whatsoever to do this (either physically or mentally).

mintimperial

🙁 Next year maybe fella?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i hope so.
    i haven’t planned this out at all this year, done no riding to speak of for months and my head’s all over the place.
    so, yeah, basically- my life’s gone to shit right now!

dazh

We still going for a ride Saturday? Been promised some very long sweet descent.

Yeah, Climachx (with maybe a preview of the last descent of the enduro) I reckon. If you can get the Friday off a couple of us are going to do either Snowdon or Penmachno on the Friday too.

I stand corrected on the BBQs 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

Event info is now available ]here for anyone else who wasn’t sure where/when/what to do/etc

Tiger6791

Any spare places?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’m selling mine if you want it.

charliemort

2 spare here

charlie dot mortleman at gmail dot com

wife is working in kent until 6 on saturday. were going to drive up sat night and stay over sunday night after event but now found daughter has exams on monday……

teenrat

Looks like its going to be a cold and wet one!!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Saturday forecast looks good. Sunday is now saying “light rain” rather than “heavy rain”.
    It’ll be reet.
    (and will never be as good as the 10th anniversary one which was bone dry)

nach
    Free Member

Still in provided an elaborate plan with planes, trains and housemates works.

I’ve been working away for pretty much all of April. The only thing I’ve managed even vaguely close to organised physical exertion was 40 minutes in a mosh pit last week :/

dienamic

Anyone selling places has to do so by midnight tonight to have the names changed on the entry list, unless you’re happy to ride as someone else I suppose

mboy
    Free Member

This is going to be my first one, never having managed to get an entry before.

Hoping to come down and camp the night before, though more realistically it’ll be an early start on the day…

Will be taking it easy up the climbs in way too much bike, looking forward to the descents though from what I’ve heard.

qwerty
    Free Member

I own waterproof shorts, but not a jacket, pondering my ancient Buffalo shirt if it’s cold and heavy rain….

Dark-Side

dienamic – Member
    Anyone selling places has to do so by midnight tonight to have the names changed on the entry list, unless you’re happy to ride as someone else I suppose

How do you do this? I’ve contacted Stuweb but with no response.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Try doing what it says here

Dark-Side

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member
    Try doing what it says here

Got it thanks, I assumed you had to contact Stuweb as they handled the original registration.

treksuperfly
    Free Member

the big question is fast tyres to make the long climbs less painfull or something with some grip as near the end after about 800 bikes go through it’ll be a little sloppy ???

dazh

or something with some grip as near the end after about 800 bikes go through it’ll be a little sloppy ???

Given the forecast for Sunday there’s not a tyre in the known universe that will deal with that sort of slop. 🙂

teamslug
    Free Member

As far as remember last years weather was pretty biblical and I thought the trails held up pretty well. I managed ok on rocket rons. Cant remember slipping about too much and I only crashed once!!

dazh

TBH the only bad bit is the final descent on the extra loop. The fireroads were more of a problem as they were sodden and felt like riding through treacle. I’ll be running an ardent on the front, Nobby’s Nic on the back.

strewth
    Free Member

I have an entry to this available if anyone wants it. Please email me ruth_oe@yahoo.com

tillydog
    Free Member

Just for info: They have just posted this message on their Facebook page regarding transfers, etc:

Just to be clear, we have now closed rider edits. Entries are no longer transferable. Riders may not ride under someone else’s name or number. There is a legal issue in that you are signing the disclaimer under a false name, also we really don’t want to using the wrong details if we have contact your emergency number.

chorlton
    Free Member

Well how did you all get on?
    After all my worrying about my lack of regular riding let alone training for the Dyfi, plus the forecast weather, which I didn’t think was all that bad I was doing well til just before half way when my tyre exploded.
    It was like a bloody rifle going off. 😯
    I was hoping a new tube would get me to the finish but the cut in sidewall was a good 3 inches and the tube stuck out a mile getting sliced on the front mech so that was it.
    Got picked up by the toasty warm Discovery (a big thanks to you two) after about 45 minutes freezing and then back in the special bus. 🙂
    I loved it. Even if didn’t get a mug.

snownrock

Really enjoyed it inspite of the weather, no mechanicals unlike last year which was nice too. Just over 3h15 for the (not so) long route.

The nice bloke from Wrexham I rode back to the arena with was wondering how his 16yr old son had got on, 4th apparently. 16?! Good lad.

Oh, and as per every year, more khazis in the campsite please.

mintimperial

4h17: I did the full route, only just made it to the cutoff in time, was pretty **** by that point but had to have a go. Final descent was pretty horrible and I was in bits and had to stop to shake cramp out of my legs, but I didn’t die and didn’t come dead last. I’m happy with that given that I’ve done pretty much bugger all in the way of getting the miles in. Ace course otherwise, the rest of the descents were brilliant fun.

I think that was the wettest ride I’ve ever done. I’ve done ones with heavier rain, but never over four hours of non-stop precipitation. I’ve just left everything in the van and am considering just setting fire to the bloody thing to save having to excavate all the mud out of it. But I’ll be back next year I think, and hopefully the organisers will book some decent weather… 😀

qwerty
    Free Member

Why, oh why, did I opt for my non waterproof shorts when the waterproof ones were an option at breakfast??? Still cleaning the silt out of my eyes. I had a great time, some fantastic descents which were earned on the climbs. 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

Why, oh why, did I opt for my non waterproof shorts

Same reason I did, it didn’t look like the rain would amount to much…I must have been carrying a couple of kilos of silt and water in my clothing by the end 🙂 Good event, think I was mad to drive over 200 miles for such a soaking. Love all the zombies and other random stuff but can’t believe the beer wasn’t even a half or that some people turned it down!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

4:20 on the short course for me. Lost 20 minutes or so waiting at the top of the first climb for a mate who I didn’t end up seeing until the end.
    Was very wet, but didn’t rain as much as I feared it would.
    Bloody loved the riding as usual, apart from the first descent, I timed it lucky and had very little traffic on the Singletrack, result! My 12th Enduro, first proper wet one and first one on a full-sus bike in 8 years. Loved it.

steve_b77
    Free Member

snownrock
    The nice bloke from Wrexham I rode back to the arena with was wondering how his 16yr old son had got on, 4th apparently. 16?! Good lad.

That’ll be my mate and his lad who is the 16yr old in question, he’s rapid to be fair and has a big future ahead of him.

I did the long route and got round in 3hr 38mins which I’m. Happy with considering the lack of riding I’ve managed this year and the damn draggy wet fire roads.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Just seen the results, 04:10:38 on the short course and I must have just missed the cut off. Slightly annoying as I could have got there earlier but I’m not sure I needed any more.

I see Chipps Chippendale was there with a VIP ‘over 1000’ number.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I was marshalling.

It was wet and windy but looked like you all had a good time.

Plenty of smiling muddy faces

dogthomson

Just out of interest, I fancy doing this event next year, is it doable on a Parkwood with a 120mm fork, or do I need to ride a 140mm+ gnarpoon full susser not to die!?

Rubber_Buccaneer

You’d be fine, there was nothing that demanded full suspension but the comfort may be nice. I was on a hardtail as were many, many others.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Mary Hinge – Member

I was marshalling.

Thanks, the marshalling was ace 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

dogthomson – Member
    Just out of interest, I fancy doing this event next year, is it doable on a Parkwood with a 120mm fork, or do I need to ride a 140mm+ gnarpoon full susser not to die!?

It’s not a gnarpoon ‘nduro event, its an Endurance event where the whole thing is timed.

You’ll be fine on a bike with 120mm travel, the vast majority of the fast guys are on 100mm XC HT’s or XC FS bikes.

With all the climbing shorter travel is beneficial IMHO. I did it this year on a 100mm XC 29’er FS, previously on a 100mm XC 29’er HT.

There are plenty of gnarpoons about, but that’s ‘cos they’re popular bikes, not ‘cos of the type of event.

Russell96

I’d rate it as wetter and muddier than last year, but still good fun with great banter all around the course. Only downside for me was I had fireroad grit get into my shorts and I didn’t notice until I got into the shower. I’ve now got some rather tender bits.

Freester

Wettest one ever for me (missed the last few years).

Went round with my mate who is road fit, but this was his 4th time on an MTB! He got round and stayed in one piece!

I was running an old school 9 spd triple and lost granny ring after the descent off the moor. I think a stone must have damaged a tooth and it just kept chainsucking after that. So middle ring for the rest of the ride for me!

Cheers to Tegid and Fraz and the rest of the team. Best event yet IMHO.

tillydog
    Free Member

Thanks, the marshalling was ace

+1

A great event – everyone was very friendly,jovial and encouraging.

My first time, and I’ll definitely be back (and trying to do better than 5hrs 🙂 )

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘The Dyfi Enduro Thread’ is closed to new replies.