Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 161 total)
  • The Dyfi Enduro Thread
  • dazh

is victim blaming….

I’ve done tons of these events and on the matter of who’s responsibility it is to ensure safe overtaking, the answer unsurprisingly is that it’s everyones. Common sense dictates that the main onus is on the person behind to be sensible, which includes controlling their speed and giving a clear shout to the person ahead when and where they’re going past*. Equally it’s usually polite for the person ahead to be able to hear the warnings if they are able and if possible acknowledge the warning and try not to suddenly change their line. In short, it’s a collaborative effort to make sure everyone stays uninjured. Having headphones in would seem to be against the spirit of this.

In any case, quite why someone would want to spoil a nice day out in the countryside by filling their heads with a soundtrack is beyond me.

*The main exception to this rule is probably on the steep bit of the World Cup descent, where stopping is pretty much impossible once committed so all you can do is shout ‘get out of the way’ in a panicked voice 🙂

coppice
    Free Member

An event like a mass start ride with several hundred riders of mixed ability where there’s a fair chance you need to be aware of what’s going on all around you. You want to wear them when you’re out on your own, cool.

But you aren’t deaf or suffering from tinnitus, you’re wearing earphones, you’re actively reducing your ability to hear in a busy ride, it’s dumb and irresponsible. Don’t go trying to align your irresponsible actions with someone with genuine physical issues.

Okay so how many people were on the pop, still drunk and/or hung over?

Care to give an example of a worst case scenario where you absolutely must hear a verbal instruction? As I say I could still hear enough of whats going on around me and I can still see when I’m being talked to by a marshall so realistically its only an instance that is unfolding behind me of which my best course of action is to carry on as I am. I could hear engines of the quad bikes/motor bikes etc and pulled over for them.

Realistically the only person at risk of injury from my actions is me, and i’m okay with the risks.

Did you have the radio on in your car when you drove over?

Trimix
    Free Member

You will have to type that in CAPS as no one can hear you now.

nach
    Free Member

But even more crucially was everyone leaving a big enough gap at the top of each descent? Do we need a safe passing distance law next year? Did anyone have a motor in their seat tube?

We were disappointed to find several photographers who are not authorised by us or associated with the event in any way selling rider images.

ir_bandito – Member
    Its unfortunate, but Rob Barker’s pics (of me) weren’t very good, or in very good locations.

Same. One of the unofficial ones tilting his camera 45 degrees is something I haven’t seen anyone do since college 😐

Doc Ward picked a really good feature and composition with that tiny gap jump – good lead in and out of the frame, load of crashes, jumps, people running by with broken bikes, etc.

chrispo
    Free Member

As I say I could still hear enough of whats going on around me

Actually you said:

People can shout all they like, I had headphones in so couldn’t hear them.

I wasn’t trying to start an argument or launch a witch hunt or hijack a thread which is supposed to be about having fun on a bike.

I just hoped you might take some friendly advice and not wear headphones on descents in future for everyone’s benefit.

Aristotle
    Free Member

coppice – Member
    So i’m being irresponsible for wearing headphones…

It just seems peculiar to do so, in my opinion

…I was riding on my own, I was still chatting to people but it helped ease the boredom on some of the climbs.

Boredom? I rode around on my own and never once felt any boredom. It is a great event, a great location and I enjoy riding bikes.

If an MTB enduro produces boredom, why didn’t you stay in the campsite or at home? You could have watched TV or read a book!

ndthornton
    Free Member

Boredom? I rode around on my own and never once felt any boredom. It is a great event, a great location and I enjoy riding bikes.

Bully for you.
    3 words….People Are Different.

He paid his money and in my opinion is free to enjoy the event in any way he pleases.

coppice
    Free Member

I wasn’t trying to start an argument or launch a witch hunt or hijack a thread which is supposed to be about having fun on a bike.

I just hoped you might take some friendly advice and not wear headphones on descents in future for everyone’s benefit.

I still stand by what I said. I could hear noises but perhaps not make out words. But you can tell a lot from the tone of whats said whether its important.

Likewise i’m not looking for an argument, if i’d over looked something and genuinely was being irresponsible I can be convinced to change my ways, i’m not un-reasonable, but I’ve not really heard a convincing point against it.

If you want to do risk assessments the whole of cycling doesn’t fare well, and a little music isn’t going to change it.

Maybe its because I dont have kids that I don’t appreciate the peace and quiet. The music really sets the mood, could you imagine watching a film without a soundtrack? Often I hear a song and it’ll remind me of an event and bring back fond memories.

phiiiiil

Most large running events don’t allow headphones.

It gets routinely ignored, but I suppose it’s one of those things where nobody cares 99% of the time but it will be a point against you if something happens that requires you having to defend your actions or behaviour.

snownrock

@iR_bandito

Where did you find that image? I got some stick from the photographer after making a proper balls up of that little jump.

coppice
    Free Member
    MrAgreeable

What a cracking event. Well worth the 2 hours spent smashing the refresh button. Big up Fraz and all the marshalls stood in the rain.

For what it’s worth, I wear headphones a fair bit for commuting, and even with them turned up fairly loud I can hear not just cars, but quite often the music other people are playing in their cars. You’d easily hear the sound of someone fast coming up behind you at the Dyfi, those slatey descents sound like a Greek wedding.

MrAgreeable

Edit: double post.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Everyone complaining about the headphone users should be far more concerned that I could see next to bugger all due to all the muck getting in my eyes 🙂

sandwicheater

Everyone complaining about the headphone users should be far more concerned that I could see next to bugger all due to all the muck getting in my eyes

This x1000.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Where did you find that image?

Have a look on roots and rain,

Yup.
    If you look closely under my helmet peak, you can see the look of sheer terror as I realised what I committed too. Happy doing drop-offs, but I’ve never hit a double before. Amazingly, I made it 🙂

xc-steve
    Free Member

Lush event! I’ll happily admit I charged past a number of people on the descents shouting what side I’d be coming on and no-one raised concern did tickle me on one decent that shouting ‘on the left’ and the person moved to the left but as I’m responsible participant I slowed down and moved over to the right… you guys should do a crit race if you want to be overtaken dangerously!

Regarding what bike to do it on, if you want a good time XC race bike to rip up the many hills, and just about make it on the downhills but not really have fun… or a fun bike drink beer the night before and during the event enjoy being mauled by zombies and eating sausage rolls, doing jumps/drops blind and chatting to fellow cyclists (well those which can hear you :P) and get back to the arena with a smile on your face… plenty of events in the UK if you just want pain but not many have the single purpose of offering smiles.

Some ‘unofficial’ snaps I took on the day:

Start:

First Climb:

Random Mascot:

Zombie Attack:

Default Welsh Living room:

Back into the clouds (if that’s you I can give you the original love this photo):

Best mid ride snack:

Possibly the worst/best climb:

Hometime food (5hour drive back to devon):

steve_b77
    Free Member

snownrock – Member

@iR_bandito

Where did you find that image? I got some stick from the photographer after making a proper balls up of that little jump

I too completely ballsed it up, for some reason that I still don’t understand I took the jump line despite knowing it was there and also knowing I can’t jump for $h!t.

Got a lovely deep bruise developing on my right thigh from smacking it on the bars as I very nearly went over the top.

I also got plenty of abuse 😆

teamslug
    Free Member

I wasn’t going to bother given the forecast but so glad I manned up. Managed 3 hours 55 mins on long course. Some fantastically scary downhills with my glasses perched on the end of my nose cos I just couldn’t see with them on. Great banter and good to chat to folks on the way round. Thanks to all the marshalls/ helpers/ hecklers for making a great event again. Special thanks to the team on the campsite for towing my motorhome out of the deepening mud on monday morning.

Aristotle
    Free Member

xc-steve – Member

Superb photos

Aristotle
    Free Member

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member
    Everyone complaining about the headphone users should be far more concerned that I could see next to bugger all due to all the muck getting in my eyes

I used just one of these for the first time at Dyfi, :

having previously always used a crud catcher and improvised fork crown/brace flap, and trying out an improvised Facefender last week.

It worked very well -I could see.

I saw some people finishing who’s faces were completely covered in mud. These people had no front mud protection…

mrhoppy

And if you’re coming in 2nd (!) on an e-bike you’re fit enough to finish the thing on a normal respiration-powered machine, so I think you should really be slogging your guts out with the rest of us mortals.

I know the fella he has a heart problem and can’t take his HR over 130bpm now, an ebike is his only opportunity to get out riding. He’s suffering far more than someone a bit out of puff.

mintimperial

I know the fella he has a heart problem and can’t take his HR over 130bpm now, an ebike is his only opportunity to get out riding. He’s suffering far more than someone a bit out of puff.

Blimey. Well done to him then. I have a mate in the same situation, just getting over his second round of chest-cracking cardiac surgery. He’s definitely not up to 60k of riding in those conditions, even with electric assist.

You still don’t get to place 2nd overall on an e-bike, though, dicky ticker or otherwise.

dienamic

It was my first too, and I had an absolute riot! Loved every minute (ok, I might not have loved a few minutes on that long draggy techy climb through the trees) and can’t wait for next year. We started near the front and planned to hit the road at a decent pace to beat the queue for the first descent, ended up repairing a broken chain before we got to the forest while several hundred went past! Got around in 4.45 which I wss chuffed with, took a nice leisurely pace and rode with a couple of mates. The climbs were longer than I imagined they’d be, the descents though more than made up for them!
    Coupled with Dazh and mintimperial showing us the Climachx trail on Saturday, it was a top weekend all round.
    I’m knackered now though!!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Another one for the collection:

I’ve got the cap from 2001, lost the cap from 2002, no idea what they gave out in 2003, missed 2004 and 2005 as I was in NZ
    I’m missing last year’s mug as I didn’t go, and 2010 for some unknown reason (I think they ran out)

Not a bad set though 🙂

eddie11
    Free Member

first year i did it i nearly fell over into the mug pile. not sure i would be alive today if i hadn’t just got a foot out.

gazc
    Free Member

thanks to fraz and the crew if they even read this. also to lee who helped me bodge a my snapped rear mech together to use as a chain tensioner with parts from his broken slx mech at the bottom of the feed station climb. made it round with one gear fine! left you a beer and the b-hanger thing at the caravan which fitted the description you gave me 🙂
    gaz

Aristotle
    Free Member

Had the course changed massively since 2006?

I remembered only the first climb and part of the slatey “moorland singletrack”

dazh

Had the course changed massively since 2006?

Compared to the first one I did in 2008, the course now has the following changes:

– first descent is new
    – Missing a descent section after the field
    – The climb and descent (where it’s two-way) after crossing the road is new
    – The world cup descent is new
    – Missing a descent just before the feed station
    – The final descent on the extension is new

There might be some more changes but my memory fails me. Basically over time it’s evolved to include more singletrack descents, some of which have had some improvements built like the berm on the last descent.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Thanks.

I wonder how many people DNF’d?

teenrat

i dnf’d. Ripped my rear tyre on the fire road after the first descent. Tried for an hour to get it sorted but to no avail. Disappointed as i only got 15km into the route and didnt get to ride any of the good descents

ir_bandito
    Free Member

The climb and descent (where it’s two-way) after crossing the road is new

And a bit frustrating: fireroad descent and a techy climb. That’s a bit MBR really…

xc-steve
    Free Member

I wonder if a figure of 8 would work there, to do the climb as a decent…

cousinzeke

I dnfed after 12km with a trashed rear tyre after 2 punctures.

frazjones

on the whole a great year despite the weather.lots of happy faces out there .dyfi is tough on bikes tyres & riders. we have amazing marshals and helpers who really make the difference.thanks for all the great comments the team work their socks off to make it the best we can.bandito the 3rd years prize was socks (very rare now ) .gazc glad you got back ok ,epic bodge mate.

ART

Many years now since my last Dyfi … but I still have the socks 8)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Oh yeah, frazjones, I forgot to say: You’re a bloody legend! Putting on the best UK MTB event year after year. You should be in the Hall of Fame.

dienamic

I finally got around to editing what footage was useable (ie, the brief moments when my gopro wasn’t covered in crap). If anyone wants a reminder of just how wet it was…

chorlton
    Free Member

Excellent video. I do believe that was me and my poorly bike on the back of that quad. 😆

dienamic

Haha, I was sooooo jealous of your poorly bike!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘The Dyfi Enduro Thread’ is closed to new replies.