Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • The Core Skills
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I am taking out a group of nervous newbies to Leith on Sunday. Nothing too dodgy but I want to get them confident and having some fun.

What are the primary things you would show a newbie to A stop them getting hurt and B enjoy riding more. I'm thinking standing position, braking properly and looking far ahead to start off with.

enfht
    Free Member

Gears

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Standing position is a bit vague, do you mean how to shift your weight around depending on the terrain, e.g. further back on the steep stuff?

Also I'd show them how to deal with a rocky or rough ascent, most people who can ride a bike can spin up a hill but there's nothing worse than the trail suddenly ramping up even just a touch, throwing in a few rocks or roots and dealing with it poorly so you lose momentum and come to a stop.

thomthumb
    Free Member

looking ahead

standing up, pedals level, heels down when going straight.

standing up, outside footdown whilst cornering.

looking ahead

grahamt1980

Personally with the scouts we take out, first look at braking (not skidding), then looking ahead, then gears and then probably corners

Paulio
    Free Member

Outside foot down when cornering. And emphasise looking well ahead too.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I find that many total beginners don't understand that they have to stand on the pedals – they try to sit all the time. And then when they do stand – it's always on one foot with the other foot up.

They are surprised by the power of modern brakes. Getting them to move their body to counteract braking forces.

jedi

i'd take them for a gentle ride to the pub

scaredypants

'core skillz – like wheelies an that ?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"i'd take them for a … ride to the pub"

My favourite kind of ride.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

cornering, positions and technique for up and down hill, lifting the front wheel, rolling over obstacles (you'd be surprised the amount of time newbies (and I'll include myself in this!) see something, stop, finally work up the courage to roll over it and then wonder what all the fuss was about!)

Diane
    Free Member

Joolsburger i'd just stick with your original thoughts and no more – they'll have enough to cope with at that.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I'd take them to the LBS – show them all the gear they need, get them to spend a fortune and then go out. The skill of choosing the best parts, bikes and clothing is the only true path to becoming a cycling god. 😉

Joking aside – I'd say try not to fill them with loads of information on what they should and shouldn't do and just get them to enjoy themselves.

MadBillMcMad

tell them to look where they want to go, not to look at that knarly spikey rock on the left.

allthepies
    Free Member

From the tower take 'em straight to deliverance 😉

But seriously, Leith can get pretty crowded, how about doing the initial skilz part on Pitch Hill ?

hilldodger
    Free Member

original suggestions seem OK to start, I'd maybe add keeping arms relaxed and not riding with locked out elbows and checking basic bike set up (bars/saddle/levers)

Ed-O
    Free Member

Give them sweets to help with the climbs. Gentle words of encouagement for confidence. Tell them to "RELAX HARDER". Don't sweat it on the details, just get them riding.

loulouk
    Free Member

The single biggest problem I had was gears. The amount of times I've gone up not down and fallen sideways on a steep bit is not funny. Well it's funny to everyone else….

IA

Take extra food and water, then you can give some to the person(s) who forget, and make them feel better. Don't try and tell them how to ride their bikes, just be prepared to help if they ask.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Good tips all thanks.

Zoolander
    Free Member

How about not sticking your hands out when you fall. I learnt that one the broken wrist way.

whytetrash

Ok..bike check first…demo it then get them to do somebody elses! VITAL

attack position…demo it

controlled braking…change gear early…ie before need to…..look way further ahead than they think!

how are you covered liability wise if one seriously injures themself?…not a troll… I take newbies MTBing and they are covered by my cycling clubs insurance…not needed it but what happens if somebody crocks themself and blames you for asking them to do something which exceeds their capabilities?…clubs funding me to do SMBLA cust in case this ever happens!

Have fun, good luck but remember it's a big responsibility!

minnellium
    Free Member

What are the primary things you would show a newbie to A stop them getting hurt and B enjoy riding more.

If you haven't done already, go to http://www.great-rock.co.uk and train yourself. Money well spent.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Just some ladies from the local gym, dead fit but not skilled more of a fun thing and they ride roadie lots. They expressed some worry over a proper MTB run so am going to stick to the bridleways but may pop a little bit of e
    dead easy simple singletrack like the Yog pots and Barrys in.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Make them fall off a lot so you can "help" them back up.

glenp
    Free Member

Just a little word of caution, jools. The big fireroad bridleways are actually some of the most dangerous places to ride with novices. Up yes, but not down. Speed is too high and things can and do happen that you don't expect. Choose twisty woodsy singletrack which is fun and feels fast without actually being fast. You might find that both Yog and BKB are too much for some – don't forget that what is dull for you will probably be great fun for them. Also, although they are all fit be careful as you get to end of the ride – don't save the hardest til last.

As for the core skills, well I can't give it all away! But head up and heels down are 100% essential all the time (no sitting if you're freewheeling). Plus braking is never just pulling the brakes – being stood up, head up, heels down, rocking back as you brake is probably the best thing to teach them, followed by just rolling over a log or other bump, to demonstrate that the bike will deal with the small stuff an not to react to it.

jond
    Free Member

Remebering my first v bumpy ride on a rigid mtb after I'd just bought it, 20-odd years ago – relaxing, not having a vulcan death grip on the bars, looking far enough ahead to get a few fingers on the brakes levers (if they're not there already)

inkster
    Free Member

If any of these ladies have done any horse riding, tell them it's just like riding a horse, [it is] and watch out, because they might be better than you!

Other than that, try getting them to keep their feet ON the pedals [level] when hitting a bumpy bit and showing them that momentum is their friend, [most nb's fall off when stopping on a bumpy slope].

Agree that twisty bits in the woods are more fun and safer than faster open fireroads.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'd say, find out from them, whether they want a "lesson" or whether they're after a relaxing ride in the sunshire with a few helpful pointers along the way.

glenp
    Free Member

Trouble is, without a little lesson there is a good chance of not enjoying a relaxing ride! Doesn't have to be dull or extensive, but a few vital pointers can make a huge difference. Better to get the pointer before you fall, or even crack you shin on a pedal or whatever, than after.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Will see how it pans out they may yet bottle out!

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Just let them figure out for themselves. Anything more than that at this stage will put them off for life.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘The Core Skills’ is closed to new replies.