Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • the best waterproof but breathable jacket
  • rOcKeTdOg

What is it?

Royston
    Free Member

I have (and really like) a Pace event3x3. Six years old and still going strong.

druidh
    Free Member

If it’s “most breathable” you’re looking for, I reckon the new GoreTex Active Shell has overtaken eVent. I’ve been using both this winter (for different activities) and I seem to be drier in the GT-AS

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hilldodger
    Free Member

Endura Helium has worked for me this winter, possibly a bit fragile but I’m yet to crash test it (you just know what happens now!!)

rOcKeTdOg

Is it properly rain proof druidh?

rOcKeTdOg

Hilldodger, there are a lot of thorns locally so less fragile would be better

hilldodger
    Free Member

Aaah, it would get trashed by thorns I reckon 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

endura stealth but a tad warm

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve got an Altura Attack X jacket with eVent which is very nice. 100% waterproof and very breatheable. It’s slightly more substantial than a pure overcoat / shower jacket, so it seems pretty resilient and it’s been great for the last 2 winters with no signs of problems. Plenty of pockets (my favourite thing) and nice big vents.

rwc03
    Free Member

Northface summit series here, great jacket

shredder
    Free Member

Recently got and have been usung the Haglofs Endo on the bike.
    Having had standard Gore bike jackets before the active shell is in a different league for breathability.
    I also was suspect of how tough/tear resistant the material was. But having ragged the arm across a broken sticking out branch, on my last ride thought it was curtains but not a mark. Should say I caught this branch hard enough to mark my arm.
    And totaly waterproof a very very good bit of kit.

jimjam
    Free Member

Superficial

I’ve got an Altura Attack X jacket with eVent which is very nice. 100% waterproof and very breatheable. It’s slightly more substantial than a pure overcoat / shower jacket, so it seems pretty resilient and it’s been great for the last 2 winters with no signs of problems. Plenty of pockets (my favourite thing) and nice big vents.

I had an Altura Attack X. I slipped on some snow and busted a hole in it. Bad luck I thought and repaired it. Then I fell off (from stationary) into a big pile of leaves and mulch, busting the other shoulder. At this point i sent it back to Altura for warranty as it appeared to have the strength of toilet paper. They sent it back to me claiming it wasn’t designed for what I was doing in it.

So the rugged mountain bike specific Attack Xtreme mtb jacket is not suitable for mountainbiking. Resigned to the fact i was stuck with it I wore it again, washed it and the seams fell apart, Altura refused to warranty it for this as apparently they don’t inspect anything twice. Thanks Altura.

Superficial
    Free Member

Hmm, that doesn’t sound good. I rescind my recommendation. Maybe I don’t crash enough to properly test jackets 8)

supersaiyan
    Free Member

another vote for my altura attack x (if you keep an eye on the seams – haven’t they managed to sort this yet?). This was one of the most breathable jackets a few years back (>30000gm^-2). Mine has been more than rugged – sliding belly down over wet tarmac ripped off a couple of zip tags and ruined my base layer underneath but the jacket looks brand new, plus it has withstood multiple stacks all over the local woodland and hillsides.
    Anyone tried Paramo? As a sweaty sod, I swear by it for hill walking, skiing, but they’re possibly too hot on the bike. However, you can simply stitch it up and reproof it if you put a hole in it. They don’t bother with waterproof zips cos any water that gets in wicks its way back out again so effectively.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

Ive had gore ones, which were a disappointment and many others but the loeka tech jacket is the best jacket i have ever had, and one of the cheapest!!!
    Very warm but breathable, also looks good of the bike, so nice i often just wear it as a jacket and most inportantly water proof!!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49399

pedalhead
    Free Member

the new Gore Active Shell material is finally up there with eVENT for breathability imho. I’d go for one of those two. The Gore Fusion is ace.

druidh
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    Is it properly rain proof druidh?

Aye – but then so are all the other GoreTex/eVent etc jackets when new. Hold them under a shower and no water gets through (my 6 year old Paclite jacket has finally stopped pretending to be waterproof at all 🙂 ). The issue always seems to have been one of breathability.

NB – Don’t confuse Gore Active Shell with GoreTex Active Shell. The former is merely water-resistant.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’m referring to the Gore-tex Active Shell fabric, as in the latest 2012 Gore Fusion jacket. Gore confusingly referred to some previous models of jacket as active shell. Nice way to confuse the market.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Another vote for the Endura Stealth. Stonking piece of kit.

saxabar
    Free Member

I’m very happy with my impulse [link posted on here] purchase Dare2Be jacket. Cheap, fits well, has vents in the right place, keeps me much cooler than other jackets I’ve used (admittedly non0bike specific ones) and looks good. I’d pay double the £35 I paid for it.

enigmas
    Free Member

I’m using a dhb signal as my waterproof jacket, while not made of the best materials about it keeps you dry and i dont sweat much in it, i even did an xc race in it on the weekend and wasn’t too hot in it.

Though if you do have the money the gore fusion or some of the scott ones with active shell are very nice.. 😀

singlecrack
    Free Member

Been thinking about this recently ……which is the most breathable ?

Event
    Goretex
    Or the new ptfe

rOcKeTdOg

i find my endura stealth way too hot and use it for – temps only, need somethng for warmer winter.spring.autumn days

muddyfunster
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

i find my endura stealth way too hot and use it for – temps only, need somethng for warmer winter.spring.autumn days

Do you wear many layers under it?

rOcKeTdOg

either nowt or a thin merino

crikey
    Free Member

As with hillwalking, apart from a Paramo jacket, I’ve never found that ideal balance between waterproofing and breathability while on the bike.

The old fashioned boil-in-the-bag waterproofs seem to have been replaced with a new-fangled still boil-in-the-bag version with more bells and whistles but lower performance for higher cost.

My approach has always been to stay warm, so layers and windproofing come before waterproofing.

nick3216
    Free Member

Another vote for Endura Stealth

Northwind

My Altura Attack has been absolutely hammered, crashed all over scotland, you’d never know. it did pick up a wee hole in one arm in a road crash though but then so did the layer under that and the layer under that, oh and also my arm. So can’t really fault it for that.

TBH all full waterproofs make me run hotter than I like- don’t confuse breathable for cool. I can only wear them on cold days, for everything else there’s the mighty gillet- no UK rider should be without a good one. Keep body dry, let arms get wet and act as radiators.

SimonR

I really like my Endura Helium – it’s light, reasonably priced and seems to be quite robust. I think it errs on the side of breathability rather than waterproofing although it’s kept me dry enough in some pretty foul weather. Rolls up to the size of a windproof shell so it tends to live in my pack most of the year.

When the weather warms up a bit I just go for a gilet – North Face Puddle has done me proud over the last summer. Just wear a l/s base layer or l/s base + short sleeve jersey underneath.

BikePawl
    Free Member

I’ve been using a marmot precip for the last three years. Not totally breathable but has pit zips, crashed in it a bit but fixed with duct tape. Can be had for fifty notes.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘the best waterproof but breathable jacket’ is closed to new replies.