Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The Archers
  • RustySpanner

At the moment, it’s just no fun at all.
    After the death of Nigel, I genuinely thought it couldn’t get any worse – It appears that I was wrong.

Kate, Shula, David, Elizabeth, Jamie, and Kenton (who at least used be slightly interesting), five of the most boring, annoying and unpleasant characters ever to stalk the airwaves seem to have monopolised the program with their tedious non-issues.

The more pleasant, amusing or interesting residents of Ambridge (Linda, Jazzer, Matt & Lillian, Jack & Peggy, The Grundys) seem to have been sidelined in favour of a more ‘realistic’ approach based on constant self analysis, angst and unhappiness.
    Frankly, I get enough of that in real life.

I’ve been listening regularly for 30 odd years, but am seriously considering calling at a day, for a while at least.

Anyone else getting fed up?

Any suggestions for decent storylines to drag Borsetshire out of it’s stupor?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Reached it’s peak with Potatogate!

I mean once you’ve listened to a pan of spuds boil dry, it’s inevitably all one way!

RustySpanner

Wipes tear from corner of eye, then remembers Sid & Jolene in the shower & feels slightly sick.

Seriously, if I ever meet Vanessa ‘The Butcher of Ambridge’ Whitburn, I may not be responsible for my actions.

richmars

Don’t listen to The Archers but the same happened to Brookside. I used to always watch it but there comes a point when you say, as you have, ‘That’s it, no more.’ Just move on, and reclaim that 15 minutes a day.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I remember the character when asked to play in the village cricket match said he could not as he was off to gay pride instead. I think someone said Oh how lovely in reply.
    Is it not just the daily mail light in soap format? Often heard it seldom listened tbh

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Archers jumped the shark!!!????

project
    Free Member

Upcoming storyline, a middle aged surf board salesman, still single, and with an infatuation that road cyclists are all gay, delivering a large boat to a customer, almost kills a group of cyclists,while carrying out a dangerous overtake,he then posts on an internet forum aimed at mountainbikers, various forumites stick with him but a vociferous number turn aginst him just like the tide.

He continues his rants and seeming humourous rantings, until one day crossing a road, a chap riding a tandem hits him, apologises profusely, and spends the next 48 hours while he is in intensive care councelling him on the benefits of public transport, and why he should have been wearing a helmet.

grum
    Free Member

They can’t control the content though can they, given that it’s a documentary.

RustySpanner

Junkyard – Member

I remember the character when asked to play in the village cricket match said he could not as he was off to gay pride instead. I think someone said Oh how lovely in reply.
    Is it not just the daily mail light in soap format?

Nah, you’ve got characters with all sorts of political/social views, which is what makes it interesting.
    They actually get expressed and discussed too, which makes it far better then the TV soaps.

The civil partnership of Adam and Ian was a superb storyline, as the fathers of the participants, both initial opposed to and a little embarrassed by the whole thing both came round to and eventually embraced the situation.

We’ve had murders, rape, teenage alcoholism, abortion, a brilliant, brilliant storyline involving dementia – you name it, it’s happened in Ambridge.

The landlord of the village pub died last year – a nasty, bigoted homophobe, but a brilliantly well acted and a thoroughly rounded character, completely believable.

It’s sadly really gone off this year though – become pretty boring and completely lost it’s sense of humour.

Pigface
    Free Member

I cant be bothered with it at the moment, Linda Snell has been sidlined and all the fun seems to of been taken out of it.

Moses

I will pass on your comments to the vicar of Ambridge when I meet him at dinner in a couple of weeks.
    😕

silverpigeon
    Free Member

If the Archers isn’t floating your boat any more you should check out Ambridge Extra

I never listen to it you understand…my wife has it on in the background

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘The Archers’ is closed to new replies.