Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)
  • The appeal of 'gigs'
  • DezB
    Free Member

I think whatever you perceive of a ‘live’ act should be taken with a pinch of salt.

That most definitely isn’t the sort of gigs I go to! Different world.

DezB
    Free Member

please don’t do this, I’m paying to hear the band not you and your ability to sound nothing like the singer I’m paying to listen to

+1 on that!

(although if it’s Elbow or that other band, I couldn’t care less 😆 )

plumber
    Free Member

DezB

unless you on the mixing board you couldn’t tell

john_drummer
    Free Member

Just checked Foo Fighters presale. 60 quid for the cheapest ticket

I think it’s a reasonable price for a 2+ hour set from the headline band*, plus support act(s). Considering The Cult were charging £35 for a one-album show not very long ago.

* if you happen to like the headline band & don’t live local to where they live.

DezB
    Free Member

I think it’s a reasonable price…

Couldn’t disagree more, but then I don’t go and see “big” bands.

Prepared to pay £30 for Underworld, but that’s absolute max. £30.01 and I wouldn’t bother! Will see if I can get my mate to pay for it 🙂

franki
    Free Member

I think it’s a reasonable price…

Couldn’t disagree more, but then I don’t go and see “big” bands.

Same here. I don’t like the impersonal nature of big gigs and why should I suddenly start paying twice the price I’ve being paying for tickets to see a band for years, just because they’ve suddenly been noticed by the mainstream?

john_drummer
    Free Member

I see where you’re coming from DezB & franki; I’m a big fan of New Model Army, I think that may have been mentioned before.
    But I won’t pay more than £25 to see them, nor go any further than Leeds or Holmfirth, as
    a) they’ve never been anywhere near that price before;
    b) I’ve seen them loads of time
    c) they’ll be back on tour again, somewhere near me before too long

For me, though, the FF gig is different – I’ve not seen them live before (other than on TV/DVD), I have no idea how much they were last time they were anywhere near me and I have no idea when or if they’ll ever play anywhere near me again.

I wouldn’t apply the same rule to a band I’m not keen on – e.g. the Rolling Stones. They could be playing in my back garden for free & I’d probably close the curtains

I don’t like the impersonal nature of big gigs

I don’t mind; I guess it’s not that far removed from a day ticket to a festival where a band I like is playing.

franki
    Free Member

Fair play. To be honest, I went to down to London see Shpongle at the Roundhouse in Camden with my wife and all up we spent over £250 (inc train fare.) That did include an all-night after-party though, but was pretty much a once in a lifetime job. 😉

toby1

Faithless at V2001 (ish) we come one with a whole field of people jumping to it.
    Pearl Jam last year at Milton Keynes 3 hours of music I’d been waiting 20 years to see live.
    Foo fighters at Brixton touring the eponymous album.
    Subways at a local pub last month.
    Alexisonfire in Cambridge where I lost my wedding ring.
    F**ked Up in Camden where I lost my 2 month old mobile and a mate lost his blackberry.
    Walter Schriefels solo gig in a pub in Cambridge which just blew me away.
    Rival schools at the Camden Underworld a mix of old classics and new tracks.
    Turning up at Brixton to see Alanis Morisette and then realising the tickets said 02 academy Birmingham, laughing about it with my wife and going on a pub crawl anyway.
    Delays in a room where the new setup was so loud my hearing was shot for 3 days.
    Therapy? with my mates when we were all too young to go without parents, but they let us go anyway…

This list goes on, some of my favourite life experiences are from gigs, so much of my history revolves around gigs. The music comes alive or falls flat on it’s face when you see it live.

There’s a whole world of stuff out there, but just because I love it I don’t expect everyone else too.

Northwind

franki – Member

Same here. I don’t like the impersonal nature of big gigs

Usually I don’t either but there’s a very small number of bands that can do it well. Biffy Clyro, weirdly, turned out to be one- I remember thinking they’d never be any good in a venue where the back row of the audience wasn’t getting covered in Simon Neil’s sweat, so discovering it still works in wembley stadium was a bit of a turnup.

vickypea
    Free Member

Went to see Volbeat this week, they played brilliantly, although the brawl that broke out in the circle pit next to us was a bit alarming!

franki
    Free Member

I don’t like the impersonal nature of big gigs

Usually I don’t either but there’s a very small number of bands that can do it well. Biffy Clyro, weirdly, turned out to be one-

I’ve not seen them live, but I watched them on TV at T in The Park. They were awesome, but I was left feeling I’d missed a trick by not being Scottish! 😉
    My sister-in-law used to drink in the same pub as them in Kilmarnock before she moved down here.

CountZero

DezB – Member
    Saw the slaves last week

Saw them on Later (awful name, so hadn’t bothered checking them out!) Worth a live visit for definite!
    Seen them twice so far, both times at the same venue supporting the same headline, Blood Red Shoes.
    Absolutely love BRS, wasn’t entirely sure about Slaves, but they do have a certain something going on. Got a mention on 6Music today, too.
    Certainly a lot of fun, I don’t think I’d bother seeing them headline, though.

CountZero

plumber – Member
    I think whatever you perceive of a ‘live’ act should be taken with a pinch of salt.

There a lot of evidence of lead vocals being ‘flown’ in to cover a bad throat. If you can’t spot that and I couldn’t at the 2 gigs I was at then its a bit of a problem.

That said when I played I mimed on 30% of the set just because I knew I could get away with it
    Hmmmm, depends on the gig, and whereabouts you are. I’ve been to enough gigs over the last forty-three years, the great majority at or close to the front, and I’m pretty sure I could tell, just by lip movements.
    However, large stadium gigs, with huge production values and audiences probably not especially bothered, it is quite like going to happen.
    I don’t understand the antipathy towards Elbow, they’ve gigged solidly for twenty-odd years, really paying their dues around the small venue circuit, Guy has a great, emotive voice, they write great, epic tunes that still have the intimacy of a club venue, and Guy is just a great bloke on stage. Seen them six times, from the O2 Academy in Bristol up to the O2 Arena in London, (three times), and they’ve never, ever turned in a lack-lustre performance.
    When you get 17,000 people singing ‘One Day Like This’ or ‘Grace Under Pressure’ at the top of their voices it sends a real tingle down the spine.
    But then, I fail to understand the obsessive reverence which the likes of The Stone Roses seem to get from people; completely passes my by.
    Really looking forward to seeing Angus & Julia Stone soon, for the first time, with the utterly wonderful The Staves as support, (fourth time), there are people who can sing like angels!

DezB
    Free Member

I, on the other hand, din’t understand the appeal of Elbow. We all have different tastes.

If I want to hear 17000 people singing I’ll go to a football match. Can’t imagine anything worse at a gig (yes I can – people “clapping along” like 5 year olds BARF!)

freeagent
    Free Member

Been having an extended break from Gig-going since having kids, but I went to some amazing ones ‘back in the day’ (late 80’s early 90’s)

Guns’n’Roses at Wembley Stadium (twice)
    Springsteen (5 times)
    Metallica at Wembley Arena + Milton Keynes bowl
    Dinosaur JR at Brixton
    Megadeth at Hammersmith
    Slayer/Megadeth headlining the ‘Clash of the Titans’ tour
    INXS at Wembley
    Simple Minds
    U2 (when they were more about music than Bonos ego)
    Rolling Stones – twice at Wembley
    Living Colour
    Faith No More
    The Cure
    Madness (including ‘Madstock’)

I think the prices for big gigs are crazy these days – not sure I’d pay £100+ for a ‘standing’ ticket.

I guess some people get it, and others don’t.
    I can’t imagine paying good money to stand in the cold watching men kick a ball around for 90mins.

j4mie
    Free Member

I’m not really a gig goer and haven’t been to many concerts but I do like a bit of Coldplay, saw them in Bellahouston Park in Glasgow in 06 (?), then again in Madrid two years ago, then in Sunderland, took my family to see them in Manchester, then happened to be in Auckland when they played there. Superb.

Went to T in the Park in something like 2009 and enjoyed the bands I saw but the other people made me sick, throwing pints of p!ss over the crowds in front of them, huuuuuuuge queues for everything, expensive prices, no thanks. Have seen Feeder a couple of times too.

Having said that, I’ll be hoping my boss at work doesn’t notice me using company time on Friday morning for Foo Fighter tickets at the Stadium of Light next year.

RustySpanner

Any of the gigs by Here & Now (Planet Gong).
    Best live band I’ve ever seen, and the best audience too.

Cheetham Hill Library was a highlight.
    No bar, just mushroom tea.
    All dayer with Lemn Sissay, Arthur Brown & Fungus.

Now that’s a line up.

I could see the basslines by two in the afternoon, laughed solidly for 12 hours and had to be coaxed out of a Kentucky at four in the morning.

senorj

“I could see the basslines by two in the afternoon”

ha .I remember that sensation.

finbar
    Free Member

I went to watch the Gaslight Anthem and Deer Tick at Alexandra Palace last night.

Gaslight Anthem were good, but Deer Tick were fantastic. They did things that absolutely wouldn’t work on an album (five minute guitar freakouts, rockabilly cover) but are mindblowing live. That’s a big part of the appeal for me.

I’m paying for it today though, and I didn’t even drink…

thorlz
    Free Member

Went to see Volbeat this week

You lucky, lucky person. only discovered them myself about 2 weeks ago.
    Definitely a band on my to see list.

Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘The appeal of 'gigs'’ is closed to new replies.