Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • "That's no moon….."
  • allthepies
    Free Member
    scruff
    Free Member

What would happen if one that big hit? Extinction, huge Tsunami, crater & a bit of dust ?

fisha
    Free Member

I read somewhere it’d be about the same as a large nuclear bomb . So not a life extinction event

cranberry
    Free Member

It’s not that big, only 2.8926 Brontosauri wide according to The Register Standard Units.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/page/reg-standards-converter.html

TheFlyingOx

It’s not that big, only 2.8926 Brontosauri wide according to The Register Standard Units.

Well that’s utter pish, for starters. Everyone knows the longest dinosaur was Diplodocus, at ~27m or 3 standard London double decker buses.

A 400m wide asteroid is therefore 14.8 Diplodoci or 44.4 London buses.

wombat

I’m sure whatever mark it made would polish out…..probably

joao3v16
    Free Member

44.4 London buses

Thank goodness. Someone finally posted a measurement using the universally recognised unit of London Bus.

Now can someone please post a picture showing the asteroid in relation to a blue whale (side profile) and/or a Boeing 747 (plan view).

Or maybe next to some internationally recognised landmarks – Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty etc

Thanks

wwaswas

the universally recognised unit of London Bus.

Except the Routemaster is no more.

There’s a generation growing up now for whom this unit of measurement will have no meaning. They’ll here their parents talking about it and have to go and look up on the internet what it means and then find some modern equivalent (one routemaster = 115 Playstations) to make sense of things.

scruff
    Free Member

I never understood measuring horses hands. Maybe years ago there was a horse with hands,but it must have been extincted (by falling London Bus), cuz they all have hooves now, which are quite big on Shires.

joao3v16
    Free Member

never understood mearuring horses hands

Whilst the rest of the world was using a tape measure or some such thing to quantify size using a universally recognised unit, some obtuse so-and-so decides that for horses “no, we’ll use hands for measuring the size of this” … and for some reason, ever since nobody dare express a horse height in terms of anything that people actually relate to.

Drac

Well that’s utter pish, for starters. Everyone knows the longest dinosaur was Diplodocus, at ~27m or 3 standard London double decker buses.

Everyone is wrong then. 😀

Seen that about the meteorite the other day on the news, pretty cool stuff.

Cletus

If this thing was on a collision course how could we stop/divert it?

I am guessing some form of nuclear missile but would that work in space without oxygen to fuel the explosion?

wwaswas

Most people can relate to ‘hands’ though?

I tend to use the followign for measuring horses height;

1) sunk to it’s knees in the ground – a Shetland pony
    2) small – anything a 6 year old might ride
    3) medium – it’s eyeline is just above mine
    4) ‘kin huge – everything else.

It’s served me in good stead for a number of years and I see no need to change now.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I knew a girl that laughed like a horse once, she liked hands placed on her too.. asitappens

hora
    Free Member

Where would it hit? Ironic that US’s spy satelitte came down….in the US 😆

allthepies
    Free Member

Except the Routemaster is no more.

Not quite true…. There are still a couple of routemasters running in that London. Used to see one of them regularly along Fleet St when I was working there (this year).

scruff
    Free Member

If this thing was on a collision course how could we stop/divert it?

Bruce Willis.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Most people can relate to ‘hands’ though?

But who’s hands?

Clearly not a childs hand, but adult hands can vary significantly

I might start stating my height in hands from now on.

hora
    Free Member

What about willies? (using the hands system). I fear most men would prefer to use Jeremy Beadles hand to multiple measure their schlong.

chojin
    Free Member

Chuck Norris could just roundhouse kick it back out in to space.

wwaswas

What about willies?

I can’t see measuring horses heights in ‘willies’ is going to catch on.

The consequences of a misplaced hoof at the wrong moment don’t bare thinkign about.

maccruiskeen

A 400m wide asteroid is therefore 14.8 Diplodoci or 44.4 London buses.

Get up to date chaps – the british media stand unit of measure for something big is ‘An area the size of Wales’

I never understood measuring horses hands. Maybe years ago there was a horse with hands,but it must have been extincted

Pantomime Horses have hands, transvestite pantomime horses have big hands

hora
    Free Member

The consequences of a misplaced hoof at the wrong moment don’t bare thinkign about.

Neigh lad. I think you are wrong.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Everyone knows the longest dinosaur was Diplodocus, at ~27m or 3 standard London double decker buses.

The green one is the longest one according to you

wwaswas

that red one is a lot of willies tall.

theotherjonv

I am guessing some form of nuclear missile but would that work in space without oxygen to fuel the explosion

I don’t think you need oxygen to manage nuclear reactions. If I’m wrong, the sun’ll go out pretty quick.

Earl_Grey

I am guessing some form of nuclear missile but would that work in space without oxygen to fuel the explosion?

Lack of understanding of physics or chemistry makes the baby jesus cry. 😥

[edit] Too slow [/edit]

TheFlyingOx

The green one is the longest one according to you

Yes, but the red one is only a guesstimate based on incomplete and fragmented fossil finds. Not good enough in my book.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’d quite like the red one to ride to work on, please. Does it eat schoolchildren?

billyboulders
    Free Member

If I was the little blue fella in junkyards pic I think I’d be running away not standing there waving at the dinosaur racing!

theotherjonv

the red one’s got a Megafataus.

highclimber
    Free Member

how many Blue Whales is that?

flyingmonkeycorps

billyboulders – Member
    If I was the little blue fella in junkyards pic I think I’d be running away not standing there waving at the dinosaur racing!

He’s the starter!

scruff
    Free Member

This is a great big Dino. scale incluing the Jurassic Park 4×4. Clicky & zoom in-

{Scruff – can you please link to a smaller image, folks are struggling to download! – Thanks! – Mod }

wwaswas

18,255px × 907px

largest image ever posted?

billyboulders
    Free Member

He’s the starter!

Unless it’s not a race and he’s a caveman waiting patiently for the invention of the lollipop so he can see them all safely across the road 😀

scruff
    Free Member

{Scruff – can you please link to a smaller image, folks are struggling to download! – Thanks! – Mod }

Its got to be big its got dinosaurs on it and dinosaurs are massive!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Nobody mention the BFO as a unit of measure yet?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If it comes anywhere near me I’ll flippin’ punch it! 😡

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Obviously it’s size is equivalent to 4 olympic swimming pools and it would destroy an area the size of Wales .

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘"That's no moon….."’ is closed to new replies.