Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • That video of the very polite motoX riders talking down the ranting lady farmer
  • Speshpaul

Anyone got the link?
    I can’t find it on here- but that says more about my search skills

fivespot
    Free Member

They weren’t motoX bikes 🙄

They were road legal trail/enduro bikes 😉

jekkyl

‘Twas I
    [video]http://youtu.be/CK0vG48YlWQ[/video]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Which you could use to ride MX, or maybe they were converted MX bikes?

Im off to ride my mountain[i]small muddy hill[/i] bike. Obviously not a mountain bike as i wont be riding on a mountain.

gatsby
    Free Member

She has a very dirty head… Can’t understand a word of it. Rubbish.

G

Speshpaul

Yes thats the one with the guys riding moto X bikes
    Thank you.

yunki
    Free Member

There’s a RUPP that passes very close to a farmyard just to the NW of Bovey Tracey on the Eastern edge of Dartmoor and there’s very dear old lady that works the farm who’s life is made a misery at weekends by folk on enduro bikes..

I’ve passed by there on my small muddy hill bike countless times and encountered her close to tears on a number of occasions..

FWIW the lady in question has a much cleaner head than the lady in that video

cinnamon_girl

jekkyl – was that you?

Extremely polite chaps and was disappointed that she did not produce her map. I have to say though I’m amazed that BOATS and Byways can go through farms with livestock. Common sense dictates that it can be distressing for livestock of any description, let alone the farmer.

Whereabouts was this? Wiltshire?

klumpy
    Free Member

Which you could use to ride MX

You could use a twist and go scooter to ride MX, it would not be an MX bike.

or maybe they were converted MX bikes?

Instruments, electric starts, lights … mirrors! No, they were not.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

CG, why distressing? Farms are full of noisy farm equipment..

Speshpaul

CG You see cows in fields next to A class roads Dual carriageways and even motorways. Its a public highway.

yunki
    Free Member

yeah it’s slightly different though surely?

If you’re sat next to a river having a picnic miles from any traffic enjoying the peace and quiet, you’re gonna notice if 2 or 3 bikes suddenly come blatting round the corner no..?

GrahamS

Quite interesting reading the comments on YouTube.

The majority of people complement him for dealing with the situation calmly and politely – but quite a few seem to go off on one, suggesting he should be shot or that a garrote trap should be set! 😯

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m amazed that BOATS and Byways can go through farms with livestock. Common sense dictates that it can be distressing for livestock of any description, let alone the farmer.

Dam noisy brightly coloured things.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

worth a repost, that’s how to be an ambassador for your hobby.

GrahamS

Just watched this one of his:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5XKSrOb8N0[/video]

That’s proper banjo country right there!

yunki
    Free Member

even the tractor reasoning is silly.. no doubt the livestock are very very familiar with the comforting sound of Farmer Giles plodding sedately about the farm on his tractor..

these lairy buggers roaring towards you from the horizon may be a bit more intimidating perhaps..?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UACvP2nzado[/video]

I’m pretty certain cows don’t even like dubstep

cinnamon_girl

Lambs, calves etc would be terrified if a large group came through. Pregnant livestock as well as sucklings could be affected by the stress. Pesky hormones at it again. Yes, those chaps would be cautious but not everyone is like them! Same applies to mountain bikes in this scenario.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Yunki, if you don’t want to share your picnic with other (motorised) users, picnic on a footpath or bridleway, simples

GrahamS

cinnamon_girl: I agree about the potential for livestock distress – but that doesn’t give them the right to block a right of way.

By the same token you can’t put a herd of pregnant sheep in a field next to the M25 and then demand that it’s closed so it doesn’t upset them.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I know how can solve the livestock issue by not having them!

cinnamon_girl

That’s proper banjo country right there!

😯 What a mess and he was telling porkies re not knowing it was a right of way. Bang out of order.

Graham – rights of way needs to be brought into the 21st century for the benefit of both users and land owners. Conflict must be avoided by being respectful of each other’s needs.

scotroutes

How is having cattle across a right of way respecting the needs of a user?

yunki
    Free Member

Daisy – I couldn’t give a flying ****.. I’m just thinking of the poor old dear that I mentioned in my earlier post..

jekkyl

It’s not me in the video, it was who initially linked it up I meant 🙂

GrahamS

Graham – rights of way needs to be brought into the 21st century for the benefit of both users and land owners. Conflict must be avoided by being respectful of each other’s needs.

I agree – but saying “you can’t use this road any more because I’ve put horses/livestock in that field” is not an example of doing that.

That’s just the same as blocking a RoW with a fence or putting up Keep Out signs.

singlespeedstu

Common sense dictates that it can be distressing for livestock of any description, let alone the farmer.

And yet there are many farmers that are happy to let organised Enduros go through their land/have MX meetings on their land.

Maybe the cash they get for it helps them to calm their livestock down again. 😛

cinnamon_girl

How is having cattle across a right of way respecting the needs of a user?

Quite! Mind you, I reckon the most scared I’ve been is going through fields of pigs on foot. They squealed when I’d gone past, just to remind me of their girth size. 😀

Possibly on National Trails there should be an alternative path away from livestock. Thinking about the South Downs Way here as that’s pretty busy all year and the cattle can be menacing.

russianbob
    Free Member

I reckon he’s on shaky ground… the path is here….

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=394340&y=216819&z=110&sv=ullenwood&st=6&tl=Map+of+Ullenwood,+Cheltenham,+Gloucestershire,+GL53&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

“Other route with public access”. Not a BOAT or an RUPP.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

even the tractor reasoning is silly.. no doubt the livestock are very very familiar with the comforting sound of Farmer Giles plodding sedately about the farm on his tractor..

What about farmers on Quad/motor bikes?

Your/baby robbins/gay swans/pregnant livestock’s/others issue is with irresponsible users, not ‘MX’ bikes in general.

scotroutes

I can think of plenty unfenced, tarmaced, public roads in the, Highlands that have sheep, cattle and even deer roaming across them. They don’t seem particularly bothered by the traffic.

GrahamS

reckon he’s on shaky ground… the path is here….

Did you read the YouTube description russianbob?

He had the Gloucestershire County Council RoW map in his hand and has since confirmed with them that it is a right of way.

ninfan
    Free Member

“Other route with public access”

The majority of which are unclassified county roads (ie highways maintainable at public expense with vehicular rights)

There are ongoing debates on this issue, as some counties claim otherwise, technically this type of road that carries rights but is predominantly not used by motorised vehicles is exactly what was supposed to have been recorded in the fifties and sixties as a RUPP, but that was never done properly. It’s also known that some counties recorded roads on their list of streets to claim money from the government for construction and repair, but never got round to it, despite never forgetting to claim the money…. Whole thing is a mess basically.

russianbob
    Free Member

Of course I didn’t read the description. That would be like reading an instruction book. And in the video he said that he had the OS map. I just listen and look at pictures. Background reading? Research? What are they?

russianbob
    Free Member

And actually not marked on the ROW map as any kind of right of way.

ninfan
    Free Member

well, no, they wouldn’t be, as they’re roads not rights of way.

However they are therefore marked on road maps, leading to frequently hilarious scenes of cars and wagons getting stuck on the edge of a cliff or river 😈

GrahamS

And actually not marked on the ROW map as any kind of right of way.

If you zoom out a bit it is marked on the base OS map as an ORPA joining Little Shurdington to Cold Slad. When zoomed in it just appears as a road and track.

fivespot
    Free Member

I’m amazed that BOATS and Byways can go through farms

The farms are the very reason they are there in the first place 😉

deluded
    Free Member

worth a repost, that’s how to be an ambassador for your hobby.

+ 1 Absolutely.

If only everyone was this reasonable.

scotroutes

Farming is a bit more than a hobby you know….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘That video of the very polite motoX riders talking down the ranting lady farmer’ is closed to new replies.