Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Daddy Longlegs.
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Or Crane Flies for you purists.

That time of year again, can’t open a door or window without one of the buggers attempting to claim asylum in castle bluearsedfly.

Has to be the most pointless/feeblest excuse for an insect ever.

RagTi
    Free Member

Their only purpose is to freek the living fuk out of people!!!, no match for my super cyclone 4575355 cylinder bad bastard dyson though.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I read somewhere that they have seriously strong venom, but no fangs/means to deliver it, rendering them harmless. Don’t know if there’s any truth in that, I may have dreamt it, but IF true, then they should be banned because a terrorist could squash one up and inject it into a child’s head.

Hope that helps.

beej

No, it’s not true. If you look it up on Snopes.com it’s confusion with an American spider/insect that’s called a crane spider or something over there. It’s a while since I looked it up.

As the article points out, if it was true how would we know? Scientists dissecting random insects, extracting juices from them and injecting people just to see what happens?

Scapegoat

No, it’s confusion with the Harvestman Spider which is also called the Daddy Longlegs.

I think they’re a miracle of nature how they reproduce. After all, you never see a Mummy Longlegs. Perhaps they all have civil partnerships and adopt like Elton John?

beej

Just re read the article. Harvestman spider isn’t particularly venomous either. Was tested on myth busters and the venom gave a mild burning sensation.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Scientists dissecting random insects, extracting juices from them and injecting people just to see what happens?

That’s pretty much how I imagine scientists spend their working day. That and playing scary tunes on the pipe organ.

alanl
    Free Member

Get a couple of chickens in your garden, they eat all the pupae, and you’ll never see them again in your garden.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just re read the article. Harvestman spider isn’t particularly venomous either. Was tested on myth busters and the venom gave a mild burning sensation.

Ah, but the word might be that it’s the most venomous in the UK, the fact that on a scale of 1-10, it’s a 2 isn’t the point 😉

That’s pretty much how I imagine scientists spend their working day. That and playing scary tunes on the pipe organ.

….and randomly raising their arms to the sky and laughing manicly.

theprancinghorse
    Free Member

Second the chickens suggestion, starlings also like the pupae too

unklehomered
    Free Member

Rubbish insect. Oddly they only come out in autumn when you get a heavy dew, which utterly in incapacitates them, as does a mild breeze, an uneven surface, tight spaces and… well… anything. Rare to see one which isn’t crippled in some way.

As such they are surely a massively underused argument for creationists.

How the hell did they manage to evolve? Surely there were some spurs of adaptation (better legs, better maneuvering, faster, stronger wings/limbs/bodies).

I suppose they are pretty much immortal, they can persist with a range of injuries, somehow…

martinhutch

I love craneflies. Apparently they are endangered, but can’t see much evidence of that around here.

chip
    Free Member

At infant school they were great for chasing girls with.

hoodoo
    Free Member

a few years ago I was at a social event on a summers evening in a large tent with an Argentinian friend who appeared to be terrified of daddy long legs’. When asked she said that we have really big mosquitoes in this country.

An interesting perspective

therevokid
    Free Member

daddy longlegs = rolled up “free” paper and some “extreme force authorised” in
    chez revokid … mwah ha ha ha … 🙂

unovolo
    Free Member

Many a happy moment spent as a child removing legs from these, seems to be another one of those traditions being lost to the younger generation.
    Maybe I should create a smartphone game, ‘Angry Longlegs’ anyone?

GolfChick
    Free Member

Basically someone up there got bored and thought ‘I know spiders and moths aren’t bad enough let’s combine the two into a mutant race’ and now we’ll make it even more entertaining and use them as a barricade whenever people try to escape them… True genius at work

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Their only purpose is to freek the living fuk out of people!!
    They’re a reason to have one of these

Scapegoat

My father once reached that “hitching, inevitable, there’s a really big sneeze coming” stage when we were playing cards on a late summer caravanning holiday. He reached for a tissue from the box on the table and brought it up to his face, coinciding with a massive inwards pre-sneeze breath. The cranefly sitting on the top tissue disappeared into his mouth and throat, to be expelled in a huge cloud of shattered wings, legs and soft body parts in a choking spluttering sneezing, coughing explosion. He wasn’t a fan.

Alphabet

Get a couple of chickens in your garden, they eat all the pupae, and you’ll never see them again in your garden.

We got a couple yesterday. I’ll report back if we become a daddy longlegs free zone.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Insects don’t come much more innocuous. Just leave them to it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Daddy Longlegs.’ is closed to new replies.