Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • That poll – How do you listen to music these days?
  • slowoldman

Where’s the wireless?

ton

radio 2 at home on the radio
    radio 2 at work on the computer
    ipod whilst cycling.

binners

I’m a graphic designer. The law clearly states that I have to listen to 6 Music all day. If I don’t then I get excommunicated and cast out into the wilderness to listen to commercial radio, while wailing and gnashing my teeth.

I download shed loads of music. 6 music and an iTunes account are a lethally expensive combination!

MSP

ipod whilst cycling.

Oh dear, I suspect that you are about to be given opinions that you hadn’t asked for or give a flying fig about.

whatgoesup

Via enormous speakers whilst on a long weekend in Benidorn. Never mind the quality feel the volume!

yunki
    Free Member

mixcloud or soundcloud.. I can’t bear the thought of being spoon fed music by dull corporations

donks
    Free Member

6music mostly

edhornby

6music too, unless Mrs Ex puts on Radio 2 🙁

scotroutes

Mostly FM radio. Obviously too old skool for STW

CountZero

When I can, then 6music on a radio, occasionally on my phone*. Mostly I have to listen to whatever someone else puts on the radio in the room I usually work in, which is mostly one flavour of Absolute or other, which is tolerable.
    When it’s Radio 1 then I can rapidly turn homicidal.
    If not the radio, then my phone or one or another iPods, either through ‘phones, or through the car radio head-unit.
    At home, mostly CD or iTunes streamed through my amp from my Mac Mini.
    *Strict security means most of the time my phone has to be in a locker, but there are occasions, like at the moment I’m working in a low security area so I can listen to 6Music for a whole working day!

ahwiles
    Free Member

The answer is: I don’t really listen to music anymore, it’s just too complicated.

i’m crap with computers, I don’t know how to get our wireless system working. I ‘fix’ one problem, only to find a few more.

WTF is ‘twonky’ ? And why do I need it to listen to music now?

metalheart
    Free Member

shiney 5″ discs.

I’m a **** luddite.

ferrals
    Free Member

Apple Music streaming where internet exists, cd in car. And 6music occasionally to keep up with the hipsters.

slowoldman

And why do I need it to listen to music now?

Because anyone who doesn’t listen to music is dead inside.

the-muffin-man

6music – then if I like a song it’s added to one of my Spotify playlists. Not bought a CD in 3 or more years.

sadexpunk

6 music whenever i can, altho i dont care much for weekends. then when i have a spare bit of time i go to bbc website, look at the 6 music dj schedules and add all the decent songs to the bbc playlister. then i export playlister to deezer, updating it every couple of weeks or so.

hey presto, a bank of hundreds of great songs all to be played on shuffle whenever 6 music doesnt cut the mustard 🙂

dannybgoode

Lossless FLAC files through an MP3 player outputting the digital stream into a DAC into a headphone amp into a really nice pair of ‘phones.

Do I love it as much as my hi-fi that I had to sell – no but its close.

When funds allow I will probably get some form of NAS / Wireless streaming set up going…

chewkw
    Free Member

I don’t listen to music at all.

Well, except when driving to listen to radio as background noise.

Next question! 😛

No, I do not use clever phone coz the phone might be cleverer than me. 😆 Just like those people who walk, text, listen to their clever phone without looking where they are going walk straight into trouble. In China a girl drown when she read text and straight into river …

seosamh77
    Free Member

My google play library on shuffle.

john_drummer
    Free Member

a) in car – mostly CD, occasionally MP3 player or iPhone. far too frequently, Mrs_D’s choice which is CapitalFM. Radio1 listeners, you have nothing to complain about…
    b) at home – MS Media Player on PC, or iPhone/iPad via Bluetooth boombox, or sometimes those funny little things that go in your ear
    c) live at concert venue
    d) making the music, from behind my drum kit. with earplugs, cos that 1×15/4×10 350W bass rig and the 4×12 100W Marshall stack combo that it competes with are FAR TOO EFFING LOUD

sbob
    Free Member

Youtube and shitty speakers plugged into my laptop.

robdob
    Free Member

I cannot abide with the crappy wireless speaker systems everyone has nowadays. I’ve heard some of the most expensive ones and if still rather listen to my modest seperates system.
    Don’t like sub satellite systems, ain’t no substitute for cubes.
    Don’t like “background” music. I’d be mortified as a musician if that’s how people listened to my stuff. I worked in retail for a long time with music playing all the time (including a music shop for a number of years!) so I like silence now.

If I want to listen to music it’s nearly always a CD in the stereo played as loud as I dare!

binners

I have to say that on the rare occasions thst I find myself in the house on my own, minus Mrs Binners or the Binnerettes then the sub- woofer gets cranked up to eleven. First tune on, despite my daily 6 music wankery is usually something along the lines of….

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IAEcU-cxUGM[/video]

Or

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwC2QljLn4[/video]

sideshowdave
    Free Member

Disappointed that “I listen with my ears like I always done” answer hasn’t been used yet!

brooess
    Free Member

Mixture of old and new tech. I ditched all my CDs and vinyl before Xmas in a fit of wanting to declutter. Now it’s a combination of iTunes through the £25 Behringer DAC recommended on a thread on here or Spotify through a Google Chromecast, combined with my 20 year old Denon amp and some Acoustic Energy floorstanders bought 2nd hand from someone on here in 2007.
    Overall this sounds as good as/better than my CD player and turntable, which is pretty remarkable.
    In the car or at work, iPod

wordnumb
    Free Member

What poll? Nobody asked me nuffink.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

MSP – Member

ipod whilst cycling.

Oh dear, I suspect that you are about to be given opinions that you hadn’t asked for or give a flying fig about.[/quote]
    No he won’t he can’t hear anything going on around him like those joggers. Who go round and round and round (Parklife)

allthegear
    Free Member

Apple Music subscription out via AppleTV, DAC and LINN amplifier that weighs more than the Moon…

Rachel

sbob
    Free Member

I don’t get why people pay for music when youtube is free? 😕

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t want the video?
    Spoitfy gives me great playlists, syncing and zero ads.
    I don’t mind paying the artist for their work either.

sbob
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

I don’t want the video?

Just checked, and my laptop continues to play music with the lid shut. 8)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But it will still stream the video, don’t want the data/bandwidth and having random potentially NSFW (or suitable) videos playing in the background isn’t ideal. Don’t need it and other things work really well. Not everything in life is free and it shouldn’t be.

somafunk

Got all my 1900 odd cd collection converted to alac along with quite a fair amount of my 12″ vinyl (still got shitloads to convert at my weekly rate) so it sits on various back up drives and that is played through Mac/iTunes into cambridge audio dac magic plus then KRK active speakers & KRK active sub. But I’m still old school at heart as I like to own a physical copy so if I hear something I like then I buy it on cd format. I mostly listen to 6music a fair bit every day streamed through the Mac set up above.

RHA T20i headphones for out n’ about listening and all day when I work as the girls always have R1 blasting out-they give me pretty decent isolation so I don’t have to suffer their inane chatter or constant justin bieber playlists. Or I sometimes use my Sennheiser Amperior headphones depending on what I’m listening to.

Don’t have/use Spotify or suchlike but I do use soundcloud/mixcloud/bandcamp

pondo

Lots of radio 2, bit of radio 4 (I know, not much music there…), bit of 5 Live (ditto), bit of 6 Music, bit of Chill, CDs or the radio in the dining room from time to time.

sbob
    Free Member

Not everything in life is free and it shouldn’t be.

I’d happily pay artists for their music that I listen to, but they’re all dead.
    I have bought a few CDs of modern music over the years, but I’ll have less than two dozen.
    There’s too much good music to own it all, so with the exception of some really rare stuff I have on the hard drive, it’s youtube all the way.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

CD
    Stuff from my mp3 collection via Twonky
    Spotify
    Bandcamp

Probably in that order too.

mark88

Spotify for me. Discover weekly is a brilliant feature, and I download playlists to my phone.
    We have the radio on at work but I rarely have the luxury of changing the station, so at present it’s Adele and Coldplay on loop.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Absolute 90’s, 6 Music in the kitchen, vinyl and CDs in the main room with occasional Spotify use to check.out new stuff although I often do that on YouTube through the telly or my phone. MP3 in the motors and when I’m working. Just got a Bluetooth receiver which is plugged into the hi-fi but I’ve also just got a load of new vinyl so I’ve not used the Bluetooth/phone/Google play option much.

mt
    Free Member

CD
    MP3
    Radio old school and digital

slowoldman

I don’t get why people pay for music when youtube is free?

Generally fairly shitty sound quality? There are notable exceptions and it is possible to rip the audio track off the video.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘That poll – How do you listen to music these days?’ is closed to new replies.