Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • That little fork mounted mudguard….
  • votchy
    Free Member

what is it called? Not the neoprene flap but the plastic one that is velcro’d to the fork brace, prevents muck being sprayed forward and in to your face

M6TTF
    Free Member

Sks shockblade – it mounts under your fork through the steerer via an expanding bung, best one by a country mile

ronjeremy
    Free Member
    Jamie
    Free Member
    votchy
    Free Member

RJ – that’s the badger, thanks

jam-bo

I punted £6 on one. It was a waste of £6.

Jamie
    Free Member

I punted £6 on one. It was a waste of £6.

After a muddy trip to Cannock on Saturday I am inclined to agree with Jambo.

Only I wasted £10 😥

Kahurangi

I made one from a milk bottle. It was great, but upgraded to a shockblade.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/amazing-i-want-one-diy-front-fender

votchy
    Free Member

jambo, jamie – what was the problem with it? Did it allow the muck to spray forward through the fork in to your face?

Jamie
    Free Member

All I know is when I got off my bike after a muddy run at Cannock on Saturday, my face was about as muddy as my mate who was guard-less.

tommid
    Free Member

Those Mucky Nutz fenders are good if you runny skinny tyres, but otherwise a waste of Cash…

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I like the “Mucky Nutz” thing! Only problem is how much it cuts down tyre clearance… It just fits my Fox 40s too. It could be improved by being extended forward of the brace also though… And by ditching the stupid name.

Milkie
    Free Member

I got one, while it doesn’t stop your feet n face getting splattered, it does stop your fork stantions from getting very muddy.

I don’t have a problem with clearance with SIDS & HR 2.35.

R.lepecha

my home made one from a 2 litre pepsi bottle.

gst
    Free Member

As previously stated not as good as a shockboard but they do prevent about a pound of crud being packed into your fork arch and they also help keep the stanchions clean.

nedrapier

‘nother one here. This time it’s the flexi cover of an A4 notebook, with thermoformed beaky turndown lip. nothing close up, just got this one on flickr. held on with 2 cable ties.

If you fit it carefully, you only lose the thickness of the plastic in tyre clearance (plus the zip tie, or velcro). One disadvantage is that if something on the trail gets flicked round in the tread, it can get scooped into the arch and stuck, where it might just bounce off the arch itself without the guard. Migth never happen though.

And I still got a bit of mud on my chest, too.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I use one and I really like it. It’s just big enough to keep the crap out of my eyes and off my forks. Worth a punt IMHO.

user-removed
    Free Member

I got one for Christmas last year – fitted it, forgot it, love it. Still have to wear clear glasses for the odd bit of flying grock but if fitted properly, it does keep huge amounts of stuff out of your eyes (and headset bearings).

ahwiles
    Free Member

i made my own from an old race-plate.

it was great, after about a year it fell off.

i will make another out of an old race-plate.

warpcow
    Free Member

One disadvantage is that if something on the trail gets flicked round in the tread, it can get scooped into the arch and stuck, where it might just bounce off the arch itself without the guard. Migth never happen though.

Happened all the time for me. Pine cones catching in my ADvantage and being dragged through and shot out. That killed my Bender Fender after 6 Months (it broke around the holes and then just kept catching on the tyre). Made my own now using an A4 plastic folder. Tbh, the plastic seems a little thicker and better quality (less brittle). If it does die, I’ve got enough plastic left in the rest of the folder for at least 5 more 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Inner tube between the crowns works best for me (cost pence)

cookeaa

Inner tube between the crowns works best for me (cost pence)

Same here, coupled with a Down Tube mounted Crud catcher for absolutely minimal face spray, or if I’m feeling skint a chopped up Milk bottle…

Zip ties, Knackered inner tube, old plastic milk bottle all you really need…

Northwind

I really the Bender Fender… You just have to be realistic, it does pretty much the same job as those awful RRP things that go on the fork crown, and works exactly as well in my experience without looking as terrible, but you can’t expect massive protection from a tiny mudguard.

No question at all that it works in my mind, I run video cameras on the bars or on a chest mount most of the time and the proof of the pudding has been in the ruined videos, or lack of- riding in damp conditions with no mudguard just about every clip ends with mud on the lens, with the Bender Fender (or my homemade one on the other bike) it still happens occasionally, but rarely.

If you want a really effective mudguard you should still get a full sized crown guard, like a Shockboard or similiar, but if you don’t want something so bulky and ugly the Bender Fender is ideal really. I just leave it on all the time as it weighs nothing and doesn’t look bad at all.

kaiser
    Free Member

agree with the above …great bit of kit… simple, cheap and pretty effective if fitted properly. IME much better than that RRP’s bit of neoprene that catches the tyre on full compression.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well you have all convinced me to pull back from the brink of selling it (well I had sold it) and have another go with it. Will have to cable tie it this time as run out of velcro…..bah!

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Don’t know if it was mentioned – Topeak Defender M1 and M2. Fitted only on commutes where end of ride wash down is not feasible.

or just be happy getting covered in clag (I love mud).

woody2000

I find the bender fender works brilliantly in tandem with a down tube crud guard. I ditched the neoguard because it was getting seriously clagged up and causing a lot of mud to gather round the wiper seals. For me it’s mostly about stopping crap getting in my eyes rather than a hatred of mud – nowt worse than barreling down a descent, only to get “one-eyed” half way down and having to anchor on cos you can’t see.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘That little fork mounted mudguard….’ is closed to new replies.