Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)
  • that hemlock review on biketragic?
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

did i dream it all or was there a cotic hemlock review on bikemagic where the bike broke on it’s first ride and a pic of the broken linkage that was too weedy to do the job properly?
    it seems to be missing now?

geoffj

Twas in the mag – seat or chain stay IIRC

MrSmith
    Free Member

whoops it’s on bikeradar.
    sorry internet user fail.

hora
    Free Member

I read the review in MBUK. They received the fix then the seat stays bowed which worried them alittle.

Anthonyl84
    Free Member

Can you expand a touch hora? Have been hoping to demo a Hemlock.

Cheers

toons
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

Ouch!

BluePalomino
    Free Member

Frame broke & collapsed and seatstays bowed during the test and they still gave it a 2 out of 5!!! Must have a very awesome paint finish or something :-/

mudshark
    Free Member

It was then discovered that a crucial washer had been omitted on medium frames during factory assembly. Cotic addressed the problem immediately and the chainstays on all faulty bikes have been recalled and replaced.

james
    Free Member

“It was then discovered that a crucial washer had been omitted on medium frames during factory assembly. Cotic addressed the problem immediately and the chainstays on all faulty bikes have been recalled and replaced”

I remember Cy saying somethign about this on here a while back. He said he was onto sorting that batch of medium frames

james
    Free Member

“Travel is adjusted by interchanging the rocker plates, though you’d need suitable forks for each version as it’s designed to run forks spanning 130-160mm travel”

Where did they work that one out from? Have they missed the entire point of the hemlock?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Even after the problem was addressed, the stays still bent PERMANENTLY 🙁

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I was with Deejay last week in the Peaks when he demoed the one from 18bikes-the chainstays snapped :x.
    He may be along shortly with some piccies.
    I had a go on it before it broke-I was really surprised how light it was and how well it rode even though it was a bit small for me.
    Pity cos I think both me and Deejay would have been in the market for one!
    Cheers
    Steve

brant
    Free Member

Even after the problem was addressed, the stays still bent PERMANENTLY

That bend wasn’t caused by the original chainstay failure was it?

hora
    Free Member

brant- hear what you are saying. Why havent MBUK/bikeradar carried out a follow up test or added a footnote to that? It seems abit unfair to Cotic by their silence/omission of such?

Im not implying anything either way by the above- just a test or note either way to clarify. As I feel it doesnt do any justice to a small manufacturer or brand. A bigger brand like Santa Cruz could get over something like that. Just feel its an injustice and a follow up note would help immensely. No Im not a Cotic customer or own one either.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Meh they’ve done it before (well WMB but same guys), there was a bit of backlash from some readers as they slated a P7 cause the sliding drop out broke calling it a design flaw – when in fact, the bloke in the workshop at Orange fitted the wrong bolts.

They never really followed up that test stating this so they hardly have a history of playing fair on these things. They didn’t even tell Orange until after it went to print!

hora
    Free Member

They didn’t even tell Orange until after it went to print!

Thats not on. Its also unfair leaving a review hanging out there (probably gives them a sacrificial lamb that shows the rest of their reviews as gritty/real).

Follow up test me thinks. If its compounded then fair enough.

poppa
    Free Member

I think what they should do is leave the bike ‘unrated’.

jam-bo

It’s seems fair to me. It broke. Doesn’t matter why.

brant
    Free Member

Having almost uniquely sat firmly on both sides of the fence I can see it from both sides. Still not sure who’s right though!

uplink
    Free Member

I think what they should do is leave the bike ‘unrated’.

Why – the manufacturer had every opportunity to put up a good bike for test – the mag/site tested what they were given

MrSmith
    Free Member

it wouldn’t happen with a marin/whyte review 🙂

the bike as tested was flawed, the pointed out those flaws and also the potential of the bike when sorted, i thought it was a reasonable view to take?

GaryLake
    Free Member

I think reporting on the bike and leaving it unrated and then reporting on any developments and progress is fairer.

Like someone said, it broke so why rate it even a 2? It doesn’t achieve anything…

hora
    Free Member

Thing is, its a potential worry to Brant as well with your stuff coming up- you can’t avoid giving them one however you could find out who are most abusive riders on STW (people with a track record of cracking frames etc) and lend them one each first!

Seen the Lapierre review on bikeradar- 5 out of 5

Rickos
    Free Member

I love mine and it was one of the mediums that didn’t get the washer at the factory, so they replaced it under warranty. I’ve never felt any bowing when braking either, but maybe I’m not ‘core enough!

crazy-legs

Bikeradar’s quote: “Potentially versatile and good value, but too fragile for hardcore all-mountain use”

Hmm, try telling that to Ian and Kate Potter who ride them (and hire them out) in the Pyrenees!
    Don’t really see the point in that review TBH, as mentioned why not leave it unrated then update the review later. It’s not unique to any one brand at all – early FSRs broke (LH chainstay), early model GT LTS and STS frames were notorious for breaking, Cannondale didn’t get their “crack n fail” nickname for nothing etc etc.

takisawa2

Rumor has it MBR once tested a Spesh Enduro.
    It bent, then snapped, then exploded into flames causing death.

It got 10/10. 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

If I were a bike manufacturer I would very closely check and double check any bike, frame, or component I was sending in for a major magazine test. Things like missing washers, wrong bolts, and poorly set up brakes and suspension should just not be an issue if this was done. Surely this makes sense?? A review like this, easily found via a search online, could have a massive impact for a smaller manufacturer like Cotic. If I were them I would be beating down the door at MBUK/BikeRadar to perform some sort of retest.

higgo
    Free Member

It broke, was fixed, was flexy and then bent. 2/5 seems on the generous side of fair to me.

It’s a shame – I’ve tested one, came close to buying one and would have considered one if I ever need to replace my Blur 4X. It’s not so much the breaky thing that worries me (I’d be on a L and they’ve fixed that), it’s the flexy, bendy thing.

kelvin

I’ve broken the forks and the rear wheel on my Hemlock, but the frame is fine and dandy.

cy

I appreciate the general feeling of support guys. Thanks. To be fair to Future, I had a meeting with them to work through the issues as they saw them, and whilst we’ve had to agree to disagree on one point they did give me the opportunity to say my piece before going to print.

Here’s the official Cotic line:

Hemlock Future Review Statement

hora
    Free Member

I remember the Enduro (circa 05) braking its stays frequently?

Ben_Haworth

“Travel is adjusted by interchanging the rocker plates, though you’d need suitable forks for each version as it’s designed to run forks spanning 130-160mm travel.”

That is just wrong IMO. The point of the Hemlock is that you can effectively have two different types of bike (via changing the rocker) whilst keeping the same fork up front. Shorter rear travel for punchy techy “hardtaily” riding. Longer rear travel for fast, lumpy ‘n’ jumpy descending. Or a “UK” set up and an “Alps” set up.

Shame about the production faults with the frame. Not good for anyone on any side of any fence.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Even after the problem was addressed, the stays still bent PERMANENTLY

That bend wasn’t caused by the original chainstay failure was it?

Not my understanding but having read Cy’s official rebuke/report it sounds as if the original problem has been rectified and the second problem doesnt exist. A follow up test should be done

hora
    Free Member

A follow up test should be done

Longterm STW test?

woffle
    Free Member

A follow up test should be done

I’ll do it – my day rates are very reasonable…

Ben_Haworth

There’ll be a Hemlock in Singletrack issue 51 (July 23rd)

JonEdwards
    Free Member

it’s the flexy, bendy thing.

Being a bit of a Cotic fanboi, I went to the Cotic Big Day out a couple of weeks ago. Ended up riding behind a 16/17 stone real big muscular lad (think he posts on here), who was caning the large demo Hemlock uphill – big ring, out the saddle and hauling like f’ck. I could see no flex from the rear, and when we stopped I asked him how stiff/solid it felt and he reckoned it was at least as good as his Mk2 Heckler. If he couldn’t feel any issue with is power output, then very few other riders will.

If you’ve not looked at the latest version of the rockers, you ought to. They’re absolutely massive. Flex really is not an issue anymore.

Oh, and Gary. Just out of interest – why did you bring this up randomly? Are you no longer happy with your Trance and looking for something different?

benjag
    Free Member

I rode Cy’s own bike at the sherwood demo day, I’m a big bugger (100kg)and ride quite hard. The back end does not flex in any noticable fashion, in fact it felt very hard tailey and direct with the short rockers(compared to my Heckler) and intend buy one when funds allow. I was also liked the Thor forks which were on it and took all of 30 seconds to set the air pressures.

edit…Jon that was me!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘that hemlock review on biketragic?’ is closed to new replies.