• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • That £100k thread
  • juggins

So read with casual interest about what people would do with a £100k windfall. Well as a weird twist of fate my critical illness insurance has just paid out, can anyone send me link to the thread. Coke and hookers are out of the question due to said illness

Thanks

matt_outandabout

Commiserations. A payout wont be without a downside.

2017 bikes are out soon… 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/you-win-100k-on-the-lottery-what-do-you-do-with-it

Tough times OP, best wishes for the road ahead.

Make a bucket list and prioritise what’s important to you, maybe pay attention to things you are able to do now which may be more difficult later. If a roadtrip includes time in Paris let me know, would be happy to meet up and show you around a bit.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

2017 bikes are out soon…

They’ve been out a fair while have they not Matt… 😀

juggins

Thanks folks unfortunately have more bikes than energy at the moment!!

jamesg55
    Free Member

if it was me.

buy a property to rent outright.
    get a tenant in it
    then mortgage the property and buy a second property.
    the rent from the first will pay the mortgage the 2nd house is rent to go into your annual income.
    You should be able to get the mortgage over in a 10 year period at worse 15 years.
    then in 10years you have two properties paying you an income but also the assets increasing in value

jambalaya
    Free Member

@James did you read the OP’s post ? There is still time to delete yours

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I recon you should do amazing things you always wanted to do with your friends and family and take some tiny amount of consolation in the fact you have a bit of time that many people never get.
    Sorry for your terrible situation.
    All the best

honourablegeorge

You might be a candidate for an e-Bike then – if that was somethign to keep you active and happy, it might be well worth breaking off a notch from that lump sum

andybrad

sorry to hear this OP 🙁 I hope the cash brings you and your loved ones some comfort.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Assuming you have your loved ones sorted out juggins then if you’re up to it do some traveling.

Enjoy yourself and look after yourself.

then in 10years you have two properties paying you an income but also the assets increasing in value

Do you understand what the op is saying?

Speshpaul

With out wanting to state the bleeding obvious – spend it and the time doing nice things with nice people.*
    All the best mate.

* this may well apply to nice coke and nice ladies:-)

adsh
    Free Member

Were it me I’d try and concentrate on experiences not things and to try to share the experiences with loved ones.

I’d also try and have some events to look forward too/aim to achieve that could be adjusted if health dictates otherwise.

I’d be looking to:- IoM TT spectate, hire camper and watch TDF mountain stages, Ice Hotel finland/sweden, Northern Lights and poss a brief fjord cruise – all with family.

Also fantasise about top of the range private ski lodge with own chef. Even if not well enough to ski there’s the ability to take a lift up and share coffee/drinks apres ski etc.

fourbanger
    Free Member

James did you read the OP’s post ? There is still time to delete yours

Are you confusing critical with terminal.

psycorp
    Free Member

A critical illness payout doesn’t necessarily mean you have a terminal illness.

beej

A critical illness payout doesn’t necessarily mean you have a terminal illness.

Indeed, I know a couple of people who have had payouts and are now fit and well.

theotherjonv

True. But it usually pays out to either cover hardships that would have to be incurred while being treated for the critical illness (eg: covering wages while undergoing extensive treatment) or to renovate properties to make them suitable for living in with the condition.

I’m hoping I’m wrong but the OP’s post seems to suggest he won’t be spending it on these things, hence the (to my mind) reasonably obvious conclusion.

If that’s wrong, I apologise; if I’m right – my thoughts are with you and yours, and having had a friend in a similar situation, spend it on memories that your loved ones will look back on in the future with happiness.

juggins

Thanks again for the replies currently have stage 3 prostate cancer with some small cancer outside the gland. Getting 6 months of hormone treatment then 8 weeks of radiotherapy and then a few more years of hormone treatment. To be honest the whole insurance payout is doing my head in as I am trying hard to convince myself that in five years all this will be over and I will be back climbing and biking harder then ever.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Fourbanger, no but I was making an assumption which I am glad to say reading the OPs last post (and psys/beej’s) was too pessimistic.

@juggins “glad” to read that. I’d say splurge at bit (20%?) on yourself and put the rest aside for that 5 year scenario. If you stick the money in the bank you won’t make or lose anything. I would say you don’t need any “investment” stress worrying about whether its gone up or down, eg stocks uk vs international, currency risk, property etc

Best wishes, share here if you want. **** Cancer

adsh
    Free Member

That sounds eminently survivable. My Dad has had a much more seriously metastatic prostate cancer that is now under control.

The hormone therapy is a bitch leaving him drained.

I’d not spend it too quick!

scaredypants

Best wishes Juggins

Assuming you have no dependents to sort out, I’d seek as blunt a prognosis as possible from my docs (very much to include quality of life after treatment) and consider a bloody good long holiday to do all the shit I’ve even fancied

(actually, that holiday’s regardless of what they say though it might determine just how much I spent)

iainc

Juggins, I and a few others on here have have treatment for prostate cancer, mail in profile if you want any details, or do a search on my history and you’ll find most of us.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘That £100k thread’ is closed to new replies.