Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • You win 100k on the lottery. What do you do with it?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Following on from the Porsche in The Bridge thread, and while perusing estate agency listings nearby…

… Got me to thinking: you win a nice chunk on the lottery. You don’t need to pay down the mortgage. You can “give it to charity” if you really insist on virtue signalling in a fantasy thread… Or you can revel in the fantasy…

So pics and prices of what you’d buy. I guess many would go for a nice car or holiday bolt hole, but I’m sure there’s those that would kit out a carpenters workshop or build a riding school or a recording studio…

scaled
    Free Member

I’d move to an area that’s a bit less ‘up and coming’

Unfortunately i’d need a bit more than 100k to get something this size 5 miles away.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Stalk people

DezB
    Free Member

First thing I’d do is work out if I could retire on it. Probably not, so work out how to fund retraining to do something I enjoy until I retire. Maybe invest in a franchise, something like that.
    Boring, but realistic when you haven’t got a job!

dannybgoode

I would pay the mortgage off – live debt free for a while. Our mortgage is only tiddly though so would leave a hunk of cash left over for an Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6 and helicopter lessons.

Then a dream holiday for me and Mrs Danny…

binners

Coke and hookers! Obvs!

aP
    Free Member

Buy a plot of land to start the Grand Projet.

Stoner
    Free Member

I said no virtue signalling, binners. Even if are a man of very little virtue…

jimoiseau
    Free Member

In fantasy land it’d be Nissan GTR, Geometron, mega shed, commercial espresso kit and then call park tools and say “one of everything please”.

In real life I’d get a fairly nice used car and put the rest into the mortgage.

Gotama
    Free Member

I’d buy some woodland and build an overnight shed style place on it. Somewhere that gave the feeling of wilderness but at the same time easy to get to. If it also happened to be a hillside suited to some mtb tracks then that would just be grand.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Career break and some travel before nipper starts school.

Cougar

I’d have decided to move house in less time than it’s taken me to write this post.

DrP

100k?

That’s a nice chunk of cash, but (arg…flame me down)..in this day and age, not really a massive amount..
    (hear me out)
    As in, you couldn’t buy a house/flat outright with it, you couldn’t take MASSIVE gambles (i.e, if I won 5 million, you could play about with investing in crazy stuff).

Put it this way, you could get a business loan for 100k under most sensible circumstances…

ANYWAY…. boring hat off, fun hat on….

I’d try to buy a small chalet/lodge in the alps or a better one in the wlsh hills, and market it for muddy bikers.

(really i’d want to pay some of the mortgage off)

DrP

willard

Mortgage would be the no. 1 thing. A big chunk of that gone would mean being debt free sooner.

Stoner
    Free Member

That’s a nice chunk of cash, but (arg…flame me down)..in this day and age, not really a massive amount..

That’s the point.

The only exception to having to be boring is that you assume it doesn’t go on the mortgage.

But with “just” 100k,you have to be more discerning in your answer. Except for binners.

Drac

As in, you couldn’t buy a house/flat outright with it,

That depends where you’re looking to buy.

Me I’d just clear up any debts including the mortgage and then buy my camper van I’ve been wanting.

tang
    Free Member

I’ve got some land in India I would do something on. It’s where I plan on retiring to. I would also put on the race I really want to, but without the rigmarole of getting cash out of sponsors.

_tom_
    Free Member

Put a nice chunk of it towards a deposit for a new house, pay off my car loan and spend the rest on a new bike and a good few riding holidays.

Bazz

Set up a small brewery and try and make a small income off of it.

yossarian
    Free Member

I’d buy Winnebago style jobbie and spend every summer hooning around Europe.

DrP

OK OK.. I get it now..

So, 100k…erm…

I’d get a van and pimp it out and kit it up for family trips away…
    I’d do another house extension, and I’d probably get di2 for the tripster!

DrP

Stoner
    Free Member

Now we’re talking bazz.

Right, the rest of you stop wasting your winnings on repaying the man!

A custom motorhome with on board MTB repair workshop and parts shop. Fund the summer season in the alps, mooching from resort to resort…

woodster

Have a couple of winters skiing and summers riding. Maybe buy a camper and do Europe one year and go further afield the next.

Lovely.

barkm
    Free Member

half decent sailing boat, and the requisite courses/training to get me across the oceans.

Or invested in whatever it takes to change from an office-bound career, into an outdoor one.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Trip to Colombia obviously..

PMK2060

I would buy an expensive watch that i would look after for the next generation 🙂

badllama
    Free Member

Buy a house for myself and with the change a small car, i dont need a castle to live in 🙂

km79
    Free Member

A very nice campervan and supplies for an epic mtbing trip round Europe.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’d probably try to resist the temptation to set up a bakery and instead put most of it towards financing a big – several month – trip away every few years for the forseeable.

mudshark
    Free Member

Annoyingly I know I’d just waste it – unit trusts.

tomhoward

Invest in a small buy to let.
    Holidays to Majorca (road bike) and whistler (mtb)
    A couple of nice presents for friends and family
    5 bikes
    Lots of cool toys
    Lots of nice meals out
    Booze
    Gentertainment

ski
    Free Member

I would buy a plot of land (£75k) off a farmer I used to work with.

Its only 5 miles from where I live, a few miles from nowhere, hidden away nicely.

An old Oak plantation, with maybe 20-30 old boys still standing, it has young Ash squatters trying to take over, full of wildlife, not been touched or farmed for at least 50 years.

It has a brook running through, finishing in a lake, which has good fishing apparently, I would build a wooden lodge, with a jetty, then bunk up at the weekends and chill, reading, drinking whiskey, or maybe some night fishing.

Should be able to build a nice wooden lodge for 25K 😉

olddog

Use it to finance the extra cost of proper business class for all future long haul holiday trips on schedule flights. I’m 6 3 and anything over 7 or 8 hours in economy is a git.

jekkyl

oh I’d go and get a 4 pack of Stella and live it up, maybe some pringles too, S&V obvs, not the sour cream and onion, they’re gross.

davedodd
    Free Member

I’d sell up and move to Thailand.

Klunk
    Free Member

take hit out on Trump

stilltortoise
    Free Member

^ 😆 @jekkyl

Me?

1. Pay off mortgage
    2. Either do some home improvements to accommodate growing family or move to a bigger house
    3. Buy a Porsche, model depends on how much £££ left after 1 and 2, but I suspect I won’t be able to afford the one I want 😆

I’m not proud of the fact that giving some away to those more needy didn’t even enter my mind 🙁

Pickers

I’ve always said I’d want the time, not the stuff if I were to win big.
    Load the bike I already have with the gear I already have and go on a trip like Markus Stitz is doing at the moment (but with gears!). To tour without a time limit is the stuff of dreams for me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d buy binners.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As per DrP its not really enough to go crazy. If you are confident of finding work on your return its 1-3 years off work depending on various factors. As I’m watching a sailing programme about the Transat Jaques Vabtes a race a friend did this year, 3 sailing options where I could skipper

1) you could spend the whole £100k taking part in this race inc 6 months training on a Class 40 (cheapest class in this race)
    2) 2 years doing lower key more social racing in UK and France on a budget £50k boat you can buy outright whilst working full time or
    3) do a year off work sailing and ride Alps too shuttling between coasts (say Southern Brittany and Med) and mountains.

Options 2 and 3 you could have a boat to sell / own at the end worth £30-40kand depending on which year do a transatlatic race (they tend to be every 4 years of the 2 handed type I am interested in)

My choice option 3 with a boat at the end

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘You win 100k on the lottery. What do you do with it?’ is closed to new replies.