• This topic has 17 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by cp.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tethering ipad to android phone
  • Rickos
    Free Member

When I link my iPad to my Android phone it never seems to work. It says its all connected on both but I can then never browse the intertubes or send an email from the iPad. What’s the craic?

GrahamS

How are you linking them?

You should be able to set your phone up as a wi-fi hotspot – then the iPad can use it just like any other wi-fi connection.

Rickos
    Free Member

Exactly. I set the hotspot on the phone, the iPad finds it and connects, then I can’t browse or email. Is there a secret setting or something?

donsimon
    Free Member

Poor reception on the phone?

Rickos
    Free Member

Got full whack for reception. Varies between H and 3G. Sat at GlasVegas airport.

IA

Odd, I’ve done it before a fair few times, never any bother.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Very odd, I’ve done this too and never had an issue

GrahamS

Just set it up on mine to check – no secret settings. Granted that is iPad + iPhone but should be the same for any wifi hotspot.

Check what DHCP info the iPad is receiving from the phone. Go to General->Network->Wi-Fi then hit the blue arrow next to your network (which should be already ticked)

Alternative – does your phone contract allow tethering. Some don’t (notably old O2 contracts).

donsimon
    Free Member

Process of elimination time.
    Does the iPad work on other wi-fi hotspots?
    Do other gadgets work off the phone?

Alternative – does your phone contract allow tethering. Some don’t (notably old O2 contracts).

And this…

freddyg
    Free Member

Rickos – Member
    …… Is there a secret setting or something?

Yes. And we’re not telling you what it is 😛

Rickos
    Free Member

GrahamS is the winner. Just spoken to T-Mobile and my phone is blocked from being used as a modem. I can pay a bit more for the privilege. 🙄

glenh
    Free Member

Just spoken to T-Mobile and my phone is blocked from being used as a modem.

Not necessarily a problem. Depends how it’s being ‘blocked’.
    On Orange android phones I’ve had it has been done by means of using a specific APN on the phone for modem/broadband, and a separate one for normal stuff.
    They also make it so you cant delete or modify the APNs.

However, if you just create a new APN with no ‘type’ and select that for use, the phone uses it for everything and tethering works fine.

If that doesn’t work, you can of course replace the OS software with something custom that hasn’t been fiddled with by your operator.

GrahamS

Robbing bar stewards aren’t they?

You’ve presumably paid for a data allowance as part of your contract, but somehow this is “different data” so you have to pay for it again.

Rickos
    Free Member

Yup. I have unlimited data on the phone, but not for use by a laptop or tablet.

I’ll have to look into this APN thing.

donsimon
    Free Member

You’ve presumably paid for a data allowance as part of your contract, but somehow this is “different data” so you have to pay for it again.

I went through all this before settling on 3 as the wifi set up is part of the contract and truly unlimited.
    When looking I was told that tethering would incur higher charges. A bit of a shock to the system I’ll tell you.

enveetee
    Free Member

Try it with OPEN connectivity on the Droid first

Worked fine here yesterday

Rickos
    Free Member

Glenh, I love you!

I’m typing this from the iPad. I checked the APN and there were three in there – general, broadband and mms. The broadband one was locked, so I just swapped the general APN to match the locked broadband one and BINGO!

Thanks t-mobile.

cp

My desire s is on t mobile and works fine as a modem. I didn’t get it from t mobile though, got it through third party supplier with factory fresh HTC supply rather than network fiddled.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tethering ipad to android phone’ is closed to new replies.