Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Test Valley Tour – Whats the Route Like?
  • peteimpreza

Is it like the HONC and more suited to a CX bike?

Thinking of doing the June event.

Jason
    Free Member

You would get around fine on a CX bike. It is a mixture of roads and bridleways. I have always ridden the summer one on a mtb, but have ridden the November Test Valley tour on a singlespeed CX bike before and that shares some of the same route. A few bumpy downhills, but generally all fairly easy, Overall I would say a CX bike would be a bit quicker than a mtb.

peteimpreza

Thanks Jason

Muke
    Free Member

I did a Cool one years ago but not done a Hot one so may venture out if time permits.

http://www.testvalleytour.com

[kiss of death] Weathers looking good as well [/kiss of death]

TimCotic
    Free Member

Don’t worry Pete – nothing so brutal that it can’t be done on a hardtail. (| wouldn’t be so foolhardy myself, but I’m sure some nutters have even done it on cyclocross bikes).:D

weeksy

Yep, the Ridgeway is more techincal than the TVT rides. It’s a nice day out though, depending on a possibly BBQ i may enter.

frogstomp

Looks like it’ll be a warm one – 20 degrees and sunny!

Muke
    Free Member

Singlespeedable or more suited to gears ?

lucien

Gears – it’s very up and down

towen
    Free Member

Its a sweet course, I’ve done it SS in the past (50k route) which is pretty tough. Still deciding whether or not to go geared full sus or trusty old rigid ss this year. (Full sus in brand new so might be rude not to use it 😉

looking forward to the Collingbourne wood section if its dry 😉

CX should be fine, though I’d prefer a MTB.

Muke
    Free Member

Thank you, gears it is then. 8)

frogstomp

Can anyone figure out the 80km route? Is it basically the whole route anticlockwise from the start and then the first third again..?

allthepies
    Free Member

The 80km route is the 50km followed by the 30km 🙂

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

I should be there on the tandem with mrs bpd doing the 50k so say hi if your passing us by.

The 80k is the 50k loop (the full loop on the map (anticlockwise)) then the shortened 30k loop so effectively 1 1/2 laps of what you see above.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The extra 30km they repeat is the “good bit” through Collingbourne Woods.

brassneck

Yep, the Ridgeway is more techincal than the TVT rides. It’s a nice day out though, depending on a possibly BBQ i may enter.

It’s not – Collingbourne Woods has some decent singletrack that will challenge you more than the Ridgeway. Though I think ‘technical’ might be overstating it a bit, it’s all doable on a rigid bike at speed. Have single speeded it all too.

Did the woods section last night, but they miss the (IMO) good bits due to the practicalities of funnelling 300+ people, some of whom may not ride much, through them. Didn’t do the very bottom section as they have been out logging .. hopefully they haven’t been given a going over.

Unless you really want to do the miles I’d do the 50Km and get stuck into the BBQ 🙂 the additional repeat 30Km is a challenge for the legs
    more than the fun bits again.

brassneck

The extra 30km they repeat is the “good bit” through Collingbourne Woods.

It’s not buzz – it’s the climb up to Walbury and back down Sheepless that’s repeated. Unless that maps wrong and you have insider info 🙂

EDIT: hang on you’re right actually – you shortcut out the hills for the 30K via Box Farm, apologies.

allthepies
    Free Member

The 80km route goes through the woods section twice, the map is correct.

Check the “Water” table on the LHS of the route image, you see the 80km route visiting water stop 2 (at the start of the woods) twice.

frogstomp

Great ride this morning – a bit cool first thing but then the sun came out!

I always forget how good that section of singletrack through Collingbourne Woods / gulley is and it was running very fast and (mostly) dry today. Unfortunately the downside of it being so dry was the filling-dislodging ruts on other parts (which put paid to my plan of doing the long route), but overall an excellent ride!

Muke
    Free Member

My first TVT Hot event and had a great morning, was considering the extra lap but the washboard forestry tracks and the bit up past the sheep near the end were killer for me so just did the 50k.

Thank you to all @ Gorrick for a great event just waiting for my shins to stop tingling from the stingers 😉

Jason
    Free Member

I really enjoyed that. I thought the route was great, I did the 80km (88 in the end) route and the Collingbourne Woods sections made repeating some of the climbs on the 50km course worthwhile. Glad I took the full suss bike, even then some of the dried bits in the woods were hard going.

Only downside for me was ripping the sidewalls on both my tyres. The rear one tore shortly after the first drink stop. the front one failed a mile or two later, I guess they both got damaged on the same bit of flint. Neither would seal, but were fine with a tube in.

Muke
    Free Member

Photo link and finish times have been posted on http://www.testvalleytour.com
    Healing vibes to Judy, the lady who had a big crash (broken ribs and wrist)

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Thanks for that link, nice ride even with a big fast stack after getting stuck in a hidden tyre rut on the grassy descent before the first gate just after the first drink stop. Ribs are still a bit achey today and the wifes shoulder is a bit stiff too.

Quite pleased with the time, sub 3 hours for the 50k on the tandem even with the crash.

allthepies
    Free Member

+1

m1kea
    Free Member

Apols for resurrecting this thread for 2014.

I recently had a spam about the summer ride and wanted some more info on the routes and area.

Interweb searches indicate the ride loosely runs in between the M4, A34, A303 and A338. I know some of the area to drive around but haven’t ridden there. How does it compare to South Downs?

Cheers

brassneck

I live at the start 🙂

It’s currently underwater (the parking / start) as we pump out the school and lower houses of groundwater. I’m no expert but I think it’ll be a couple of months before the water gets down to normal levels, been like this for nearly a month now.

Riding wise, the South Downs are steeper in general, the North Wessex Downs are a lovely place to ride (and live!) though with plenty of good riding if you know where to look. The TVT is slightly constrained by having over 300 riders of all abilities doing the route (and associated permissions with the woods), but it’s a good day out regardless.

Forgot to add: Under foot it’s very South Downs, chalk with a bit of clay to add that slippery element, with some old unmettalled but good surfaced tracks making up the byways. The odd bog, but in the main rideable throughout.

m1kea
    Free Member

Cheers

I was in Pewsey this weekend photographing the Terminator running race and my muddy boots and car bear testament to the moist conditions in that area 😀

I’ll add this to the possibly list as I could probably stay over with family.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Test Valley Tour – Whats the Route Like?’ is closed to new replies.