Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • short travel 29er f.s options
  • pete68
    Free Member

I’m considering a new frame for next year and so far have these as options; Ibis Ripley, pivot mach 429 and Santa cruz Tallboy 2. Anything else that should be on my list? Must be available as frame only, ,head tube, 100-120 travel and will be staying on 29er, partly as I already have wheels and forks.

jonk

Orange Gyro – I loves mine

Lester
    Free Member

ive just bought a carbon titus rockstar from On One, A bit different, 3rd of the cost compared to a ripley, im hoping its going to a good choice

andHumdinger is selling a very nice 29er if you do a search on STW

zippykona

Superlight?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Anthem

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Salsa spearfish.

dickie
    Free Member

Turner Czar.
    Just hand a demo on one – contact Silverfish. The demo bike was set-up with Enve rims on I9 hubs, XX1 groupset – was a superb ride.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Scalpel

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Tallboy is immense

doug_basqueMTB.com

Try the Orbea Occam X if you can. I just had another fantastic day on one annoying my mates up and down the hills 🙂

pete68
    Free Member

Some interesting options there. My original post should of said tapered head tube by the way. Ideally the frame should also be suited to a 120 fork (as that’s what I already have).

Frankers
    Free Member

Pyga 110 29 is designed around 120-130mm fork

doug_basqueMTB.com

Occam x is tapered and 120mm out front and 100mm out back. They are basque but I’m not linked in any way!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Blimey when did a 29er with 120mm forks start to be considered as short travel?

enigmas
    Free Member

Ramsey Neil – Member
    Blimey when did a 29er with 120mm forks start to be considered as short travel?

gonesailing
    Free Member

Pivot 429 Carbon is an awesome bike, i thought it rode better than the Tallboy and I don’t like the look for the Ripley. X01 on the 429 Carbon and some decent wheels and you have an amazing bike that is so versatile there isn’t much you can’t do with it.

damascus
    Free Member

Horsethief. Some bargains on last years model.

z1ppy

2014 Horsethief would be on my list, that said there are some bargain deals on last years version, for complete bikes, that are cheaper

flange
    Free Member

Pivot 429 Carbon is an awesome bike, i thought it rode better than the Tallboy and I don’t like the look for the Ripley. X01 on the 429 Carbon and some decent wheels and you have an amazing bike that is so versatile there isn’t much you can’t do with it.

Three posts, all of them about how great a pivot 429 is…on ancient threads.. You on a back hander?

doof_doof
    Free Member
    Northwind

No Camber-love? I really didn’t rate my 26er one but everyone seems to love the 29er, especially the Evo.

rOcKeTdOg

superlight 29er

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Looking at the green Tallboy that is standing in the kitchen I’m impressed.

takisawa2

rOcKeTdOg

Alex

Another vote for the Pyga OneTen-29. Depends where you live but there are a few demo shops now.

FLYGA.. by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

I run my forks at 130mm. Not tried anything else on your list but have ridden 1500km on this all over the UK and a trip to Spain and find it really fun to ride.

khani
    Free Member

I’d recommend a Rockstar cos I’ve got one and it’s ace..

And cheap..

NormalMan

Northwind – Member 
    No Camber-love? I really didn’t rate my 26er one but everyone seems to love the 29er, especially the Evo.

I thought the same.

Although since getting my 29er HT, I’ve been tweaking (EVOing) and playing with my Camber (26er) and am starting to enjoy it again too.

Gee76
    Free Member

I was very tempted by the devinci atlas, but an intense spider comp came up and is a bit slacker and I knew the sizing fitted me on that… Just one ride so far, but soo capable…

Goes from 114 mm to 127mm rear travel so probably enough for most UK xc and trail riding with the added 29er effect. Plus it may just be enough for the odd enduro or uplift day if your that way inclined.

It’s a bit more lively/speedy/racy than the carbine especially if you build it that way (24.5lb is possible). There’s the option to run 120mm forks but also still the option to put a 150 pike on it too for rowdy days!. So very versatile.

So in summary and TRUE stw fashion i recommend my bike 😉

Oh kona process 111 also gets good write ups but no frame only option yet…. You could sell the bits but still pricey way to get the frame and no doubt a carbon version is round the corner!.

Suppose the Whyte T129 is another well liked option and great value but again parts sell off would be required!

tandemonium
    Free Member

Transition bandit 29. I was in the same dilemma as you, considered a Tallboy, but £2000 with the kashima shock 😯 so I went for the bandit, £1400 with kashima shock. 120mm travel, will take a 140mm fork, I’m currently running at 130mm and it rides great. Feels like loads more travel than 120mm, sharp handling, good fun, and less common.
    [/url] Bandit29 by bigfoot_on_bikes, on Flickr[/img]

gonesailing
    Free Member

flange – Member

Three posts, all of them about how great a pivot 429 is…on ancient threads.. You on a back hander?

No Flange, i just love my bike so i thought I’d share my thoughts. I didn’t realise they were ancient threads, this one seems quite recent

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘short travel 29er f.s options’ is closed to new replies.