Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Tesco's self service tills…..
  • headsup-spam
    Free Member

sooooooooooooooo tempting to try and expolit their frailties!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

They’re great till you try and buy alcohol. Then the world ends.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

B&Q is worse. They don’t seem to class things like huge planks of wood as small objects so you need to get them out the trolley and balance them in on the scales thing after you’ve scanned them, then load them all back onto the trolley.

johnners
    Free Member

expolit their frailties

…or steal, as it’s normally called?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

“…or steal, as it’s normally called?”

It’s normally called ‘aquire and relocate’ round my way.

richwales

Victimless crime innit!

Junkyard
    Free Member

redistributing the wealth good luck commrade

project
    Free Member

Tesco, Sealnd Road , Chester have the newer mark 2 type CSST,s as i was told by a nice lady the other week and they work well.

Morrisons tills dont like fresh fruit and veg,

Band Q,s tils dont like anything that cant be placed on the weigh plate at the side.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I once scanned through two packs of ham so it looked like one pack, will I go to hell.?

Trimix
    Free Member

“Unidetified item in the bagging area” – Thats enough to cause me to swear.

I dont use them now as I find them so crap. Its unsociable enough in a supermarket, at least you got to talk to a human at the checkout, but computersising them is a step too far. May as well buy your grub online really, you can at least have a conversation with the driver.

radoggair
    Free Member

…or steal, as it’s normally called?

Is stealing not………

‘50% off everything sale ‘……. etc etc

Is it a sale or have we been overcharged in the first place???

jon1973
    Free Member

I once scanned through two packs of ham so it looked like one pack, will I go to hell.?

If it was ASDA, at least you know what to expect if you do go to Hell.

Kuco

I won’t use those things as I get “Unidetified item in the bagging area” every time I use them.

soobalias
    Free Member

i dont see how the type of till changes anything, stuff your pockets and walk calmly out.

philconsequence
    Free Member

think of how many jobs have been lost ‘cos of those things!

this country is going to hell.

(boots ones work quite well in the reading (oracle) store)

BigJohn

We call them the “Buy one get one free tills” in our house.

No it’s not unexpected – I put it there.

Why don’t they have a “shut the **** up” button?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I prefer to stuff my face on the way round the supermarket. Cant beat swaggering down the aisles drinking a big bottle of Sunny D and eating half a cooked chicken, then only paying for a pack of danish pastries at the till. The ultimate dining experience.

Kuco

But they often have one or two staff hanging around the things.

jimjam
    Free Member

The self service tills are infuriating, this is compounded when some grunting acne riddled mop head pushes past you to scan his little bar code thing without so much as a hello.

If they only knew how closely they were flirting with death!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Surely if we are doing the scanning (effectively doing a checkout Doris out of a job) we should get a discount?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I shop at Waitrose.

‘Self-service’ is only a consequence of my current relationship status.

BigJohn

At our Tesco they used to have some of the bigger tills self-service, until they found that wine bottles rolling down the packing area would hit each other and smash.

Sometimes you would be scanning away and one of the staff would start packing the bags for you. A bit of a role reversal, I think.

chakaping
    Free Member

I refuse to use them and demand that a normal till be opened if there are none already.

The staff rarely thank me for attempting to preserve their jobs though, the ungrateful oiks.

Bez

One day I’ll punch a self-service till to destruction, I swear. The B&Q ones are especially hateful.

I notice the goods are the same price and I don’t even get paid minimum wage for doing my own scanning and packing. Even 20 years ago I was on a couple of quid or so an hour for doing it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely if we are doing the scanning (effectively doing a checkout Doris out of a job) we should get a discount?

You probably do.

ArcticBeast
    Free Member

at least with the sainsburys ones you can get some free nectar points, no matter what you buy so long as you say you have used your own bags it will let you get 9 extra points great for when you only buying 1 item.

Harry_the_Spider

I have a Tesco Club Card account which I top up every month to cover the shopping. The card doesn’t work at the Self Service Checkout. 🙄

I feel sorry for the poor sod working at the adjacent till. They must hear PLEASE INSERT YOUR PAYMENT CARD… UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA… about a thousand times in a shift. They probably have to search them for sharp objects before they are allowed in the staff canteen.

TheFlyingOx

Forgive me if I’ve got this wrong, but doesn’t some percentage of the money I hand over for stuff in Morrisons go towards paying for checkout staff so I don’t have to do it myself?

It’s like taking your car to Kwik-Fit and then paying them so you can change the brake pads yourself.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Morrison’s tills are woeful. If you happen to breath near our local ones they accuse you of theft. I much prefer the awkward silence when doing the chip and pin thing with a real person at the helm.

allthepies
    Free Member

I like ’em, the lowlife/pensioners/<insert other undesirables here> don’t know how to use the tils so you can normally walk up and use one straight away.

misterturnip
    Free Member

There are a bunch of us regular shoppers on a Saturday morning at our local Tesco and we have got together and all refuse to use the self service tills. They now ensure the normal tills are open. The checkout staff at this Tesco are great and very friendly, we want them to keep their jobs. I have spoken to management and they say they have to act on orders from head office. Once again bean counters who have no idea of the real world making silly decisions.

Essentially, Tescos is a shop and shops are meant to serve their customers!

jon1973
    Free Member

Essentially, Tescos is a shop and shops are meant to serve their customers!

The self service tills always seems busy (not just Tescos) so some people must like them I guess. For a few items I prefer them, myself.

uplink
    Free Member

They’re only an interim solution until RFID tags are on everything and the systems will know what’s in your basket/pockets

warton
    Free Member

Morrsions is the worst, an incredibly annnoying voice saying:

“please scan an item”
    “please place the item in the bagging area”

“please scan an item”

“please scan an item”

“please scan an item”

“please scan an item”

“please scan an item”

“please scan an item”

“please scan an item”

“please scan an item”

“please scan an item”

you get the picture.

damo2576
    Free Member

Weird. We don’t seem to have these at Waitrose. What is it? Some kind of automatic checkout?

Stoner
    Free Member

its an ineffective robotic asistance for the proletariat who cant afford a gentleman’s gentleman.

jon1973
    Free Member

Weird. We don’t seem to have these at Waitrose. What is it? Some kind of automatic checkout?

Ask your butler, he will be able to explain it to you.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohhhh, check him out and his vegiterian sandles.

thebunk

I don’t really understand why people are refusing to use them to keep staff in jobs? You can’t buy your 99p cake AND eat it. Self service reduces cost to supermarkets, which means that they can keep their prices low, which presumably is why we shop at them? If you really want a nice shopping experience, friendly staff, happy animals and sustainable cabbages, spend (a bit more of) your money with your local suppliers.

Me though, I use the self service machines and slightly take advantage of the fact that the weighing machines aren’t all that sensitive…

Free ginger. That’ll show ’em 🙄

damo2576
    Free Member

Actually I’d guess re stealing they accept some and that the simple fact is that as long as the marginal loss is less than £8 per hour, plus NI, plus training, plus employment liability etc etc. of checkout staff then they’re in clover.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Tesco's self service tills…..’ is closed to new replies.