Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Terry Pratchett fans , help me please.
  • sputnik
    Free Member

I would like my son (13) to read more and hope that TP could be the way to achieve this.
    He is a capable reader but chooses books that , in my opinion , is not really giving him that yearning to turn the page , hence the time it takes him to finish these books. He has recently read ‘The woman in black’ and is currently reading one of the Twilight series ( the vampire movies ). But like I said, he used to read more and faster , but seem to labour through his current choices .

What books from Terry should he start with ? Is the Disc world series aimed at a certain age ? Any suggestions appreciated .

lemonysam
    Free Member

I think I’d juststart him on the Vimes series and he can try the others if he likes them. Give him Guards Guards – it’s short, funny and fast paced.

knightrider
    Free Member

colour of magic is the first discworld novel and is great,
    has he read any of the how to train your dragon books, harry potter?

Longarmedmonkey

My daughter (12) started with The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents. I is set in Discworld and is aimed at Tweenagers, although I enjoyed it (38)!

camo16
    Free Member

+1 Colour of Magic

Start at the start – it’s a cool book for kids.

The-Beard

Funny, that’s pretty much what I was going to say. Guards, Guards was the first one I read and it had me in stitches.

Longarmedmonkey

Also agree with Knightrider the How to train your dragon series is great.

Mintman
    Free Member

When I was littler I read his Nome Trilogy -Truckers, Diggers and Wings and I still remember enjoying it.

jekkyl

Mort is an excellent stand alone and one of the ‘classics’ of discworld.

jekkyl

I always enjoyed nicholas fisk books when I were a lad, sci fi aimed at teenagers, try ‘a rag, a bone and a hank of hair’ or ‘grinny’

ffej
    Free Member

Guards Guards is a great one that doesn’t rely on prior knowledge of characters.. Really love Reaper man too.. Something about the way he writes the DEATH character that I always love.

J

portlyone

TP has a few books aimed at children/teens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wee_Free_Men is a good start.

Cougar

The Colour of Magic is the first book, but it’s also one of the worst (in so far as there’s a “worst” TP book). I’d argue that it’s not the best introduction.

You know he’s done Young Adult books, yes? The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, for a start.

Cougar
    jamiep
    Free Member

The Colour of Magic was the first book I read without having to for school, and I still own and read all of his (at age 38)

Cougar

From Wikipedia,

Pratchett’s first children’s novel was also his first published novel: The Carpet People in 1971, which Pratchett substantially rewrote and re-released in 1992. The next, Truckers (1988), was the first in The Nome Trilogy of novels for young readers, about small gnome-like creatures called “Nomes”, and the trilogy continued in Diggers (1990) and Wings (1990). Subsequently, Pratchett wrote the Johnny Maxwell trilogy, about the adventures of a boy called Johnny Maxwell and his friends, comprising Only You Can Save Mankind (1992), Johnny and the Dead (1993) and Johnny and the Bomb (1996). Nation (2008) marked his return to the non-Discworld children’s novel, and this was followed in 2012 by Dodger, a children’s novel set in Victorian London.[127]

atlaz
    Free Member

The first one I read was Mort. Seemed like a good “gateway” book.

Cougar

Ah, here. Read this.

http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.php/Reading_Order

The Wee Free Men would be what you seek, I suspect.

CountZero

The Tiffany Aching trilogy are lovely books, perfect for younger readers as well.

sputnik
    Free Member

I dont know any of TPs books, was reading Dr Who myself at school and my uncle gave me his entire Louis L’Amour collection which I read and loved. Ah, the Sackett family saga and the wild west…

Looks like I will have to try TP for myself when I introduce his books to my son !

Thank you for the other all the other suggestions too, I will definitely look into all of them.

tommyhine

+1 for the nome series, they are agreat fun read and a really good introduction for youngsters to Pratchett. He’s done a few recently which are aimed at younger readers, a particularly good one that includes some of the extablished characters (which will be nice if they do get into it is the wee free men (which is now a trilogy). All good stuff

portlyone

Tiffany Aching trilogy

Starting with the Wee Free Men, to be clear

The-Beard

The wind howled. Lightning stabbed at the earth erratically, like an inefficient assassin. Thunder rolled back and forth across the dark, rain-lashed hills. The night was as black as the inside of a cat. It was the kind of night, you could believe, on which gods moved men as though they were pawns on the chessboard of fate. In the middle of this elemental storm a fire gleamed among the dripping furze bushes like the madness in a weasel’s eye. It illuminated three hunched figures. As the cauldron bubbled an eldritch voice
    shrieked: ‘When shall we three meet again?’

There was a pause.

Finally another voice said, in far more ordinary tones: ‘Well, I can do next Tuesday.’

Wyrd Sisters has one of the best opening paragraphs, I especially enjoyed as I read it whilst being force fed Shakespeare at school!

lemonysam
    Free Member

If, as you say, your son is a capable reader, I’d skip the “younger reader” ones and jump into the adult books. He won’t get all the jokes but they’re still easy reads and it’s a good segue into more grown up comic literature.

carlossal
    Free Member

Why not get him ” A Blink Of The Screen” a collection of short stories from T.P. starting with his first published work,completed when he was a teenager. There are stand alone ideas and some early ideas for Disc World plots.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Yeah skip the younger reader ones…guards guards is the one to start with.

Nation went down well with my eldest as well….a tough 1st chapter though

Pratchetts books have strong female characters…dunno if that hinders take up with some teenage boys.

Tiffany aching books are a case in point…at first glance they are a ‘girls’ book….but it’s much deeper than that

gwaelod
    Free Member

What about hitch hikers guide to the galaxy.

z1ppy

Wyrd sister or Mort for me.
    Then read the rest in order, their brilliant.. started reading them when I was early teens (he started in 83) and I have never stopped… even his latest “long earth” still has me turning the pages (not so sold on Nation and Dodger), even if the Discworld stuff doesn’t have the same zing as it did originally.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Another vote for ‘Guards, Guards’.

Cougar

He won’t get all the jokes

I’m 41 and don’t get all the jokes, I use The Annotated Pratchett as Cliff Notes when I’m reading them.

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Yet another vote for Guards, Guards.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hi Sputnik, I am a TP fan. Some great suggestions up there, +1 for anything involving Vimes and the City Watch, men at arms is a good read, Jingo, Carpe Jugulem, Small Gods is funny. As a starter try The Last Hero. It was printed ias an almost graphic novel type short story. Amazon may have it.

Good choice BTW.

I also find David Gemmell a good author of fiction/fantasy if TP doesn’t float his boat. Dark Prince and Lion of Macedon are simply brill.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

The Tiffany Aching trilogy are lovely books, perfect for younger readers as well.

Oh yes, loved those. Bought them cos I’m a fanboy and need to buy all his books, but really enjoyed them. Found them really evocative and moving.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

TPTcruiser

Guards Guards is a good starter although Going Postal may be a new point of entry if they have seen the series on Sky.
    Dancing postal staff:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vffl7NWmso[/video]

joolsburger
    Free Member

He wrote a book called Strata very early on which is a good read for a younger person, however for the discworld series he should start at the beginning with The Colour of Magic and The Light fantastic.

If TP isn’t doing it then Artemis Fowl is a cracking series for the younger reader.

crikey
    Free Member

The articles in Playboy always encouraged me.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Does Going Postal start with Moist going for a swing? OK once you’re used to TP, but might be a difficult beginning.

bigblackshed

Personally I’d start him with Maurice and His Educated Rodents. Then on to the Tiffany Aching series which will lead to the Witches storyline.

Guards, Guards! Is also an excellent start with the Ciry Guards and Vimes characters.

I’d avoid The Colour of Magic to start with. I’ve recently read it for the first time in 20 years. I found it tough to get in to compared to TP’s later work. The assumption that you are a fantasy genre reader and would understand the common themes and caricatures could be lost on a younger reader.

There of plenty of reading guides online. Go explore.

thorlz
    Free Member

Another vote for Mort here.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Terry Pratchett fans , help me please.’ is closed to new replies.