Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • telnet on an android phone ?
  • scaredypants

sure I saw that sonmebody on here does this with a phone

Anyone know how I might achieve this ?

We have a database at my work that runs on telnet and is hardly on any of the PCs that are scattered around the place so I often can’t access info that I need. I’ve seen a colleague get onto it via wifi, so I like to think that means I could do it on my phone

(contrary to popular stereotyping, I do not work in IT and might need a grown-up to explain things slowly, using small words)

Thanking yow

geoffj

Some telnet apps here https://market.android.com/search?q=Telnet&c=apps
    You’ll need the ip address and an account of the box running the database,
    There may be firewall issues. Best speak to the sys admin / dba who runs the show.

MSP

Get the sysadmins to install it on the PC’s, I think using telnet on a phone would be a pretty horrible experience.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

they’re slowly removing it from the PCs as they get replaced – it’s a bit of a 1990s throwback niche that very few staff use

wanna see pics of my fixie 29er ?

Cougar

Sorry, just spotted this old thread while looking for something else.

If you still need to know, I use ConnectBot for Telnet and SSH duties, along with “Hacker’s Keyboard” to give me a full range of control codes etc.

You can also telnet from any PC; just type telnet at a command prompt. Alternatively, PuTTY is the de facto PC client.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Connecting to a business database via wifi and telnet, christ I would get your IT team hauled over coals for allowing that!

Cougar

Depends on the database as to whether it’s important, but yes, it’s hard to think of a less secure method of accessing it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘telnet on an android phone ?’ is closed to new replies.