Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Tell me why I SHOULDN'T buy a Land Rover Defender
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

They’ve been turning my head a LOT recently and given that production is ceasing (in the UK) later this year I’ll be sad to see them go.
    I say see them go, but I know they’ll be around for decades to come ‘cos they seem indestructible.
    So, aside from the woeful fuel efficiency and the fact they seem expensive for what they are – even used (and I know this flips as strong residual value), give me good reason to go right off them.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Have you driven one? They’re a bit love/hatey!

weeksy

Are you a farmer ? Do you spend a lot of time in fields ? Forests ? Deserts ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was talking about the end of the defender with my dad (Farmer up here in Northumberland) it went along the lines of
    Him – Shame they are stopping making them
    Me – Would you buy one?
    Him – No Way!

For most things there are modern, cheaper, more reliable, efficient and practical alternatives. Of course if you want a lifestyle statement go for it 😉

IHN

They have the turning circle of a supertanker towing a caravan

jam-bo

but I know they’ll be around for decades to come ‘cos they seem indestructible.

spending lots of time, money and effort fixing them does not equal indestructible….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, a supertanker’s turning circle I could live with, but with an added caravan, well, that would be too much.

binners

I don’t think its a coincidence that the people who buy them tend to be people who like to work on stuff, and are happiest with a spanner or a welder in their hand

Stoner
    Free Member

theyre not very big inside. The driving position is cramped. The second row seats are uncomfortable for anyone over 4’6″. (deadlydarcy finds them incredibly comfortable obviously)

It’s an agricultural vehicle with some upholstery, and drives like it too 🙂

The new ones are made with some rubbish belgian steel that rusts as soon as it sees salty water. Theyre very much not indestructible, the chassis often need welding repairs to maintain them if they are not galvanised (and nothing leaves the factory galvanised BTW)

But they’re bloody good fun to own. The kids love them. You look forward to the crappiest weather possible so you can show off. I wouldnt be without mine now.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Because I’ll be jealous? I’ve always fancied one, from the days when I used to trundle round in an ex-RAF lightweight series III. Go for a 110 though to give you some decent space inside as that’s about all the practicality you’ll get from a Defender 🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Think spinal compression and a 4wd transit van

neilwheel
    Free Member

Hope you like getting dirty.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Could be worse – could be an Mitsubishi L200!

wilko1999
    Free Member

I want one of these as my family run-around 😉

http://www.twistedautomotive.com/t80-110.html

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jamesfts – Member

Could be worse – could be an Mitsubishi L200![/quote]

At least there is less chance of the L200 breaking down half way through the 30 point turn 🙂

jamesfts
    Free Member

Only 30?

I’ve taken to just reversing ours home from work at the end of the day 😉

geoffj

A 90 pickup is a very beautiful thing but thankfully that itch is well and truly scratched.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Oh yeah…that’s it…right there, yeah
    Keep ’em coming.

No. Not driven one – yet. Mrs T23 suggests arranging a test drive just to answer that love/hate question. I’m scared I might like it!

I spend no time at all in the extreme environments mentioned above, but the appeal comes more from its iconic look than the need for its abilities. Our annual mileage is very low – say 5K tops – so maybe the fuel efficiency isn’t such a huge concern.

Maybe I’ve watched too much of The Walking Dead and I’m mentally preparing for some kind of ‘end of days’ scenario where I can spot-weld some cuts of Heras fencing over the windows and plough through herds of zombie types to safety…

jamesfts
    Free Member

mileage is very low – say 5K tops

V8.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I spend no time at all in the extreme environments mentioned above, but the appeal comes more from its iconic look than the need for its abilities. Our annual mileage is very low – say 5K tops – so maybe the fuel efficiency isn’t such a huge concern.

Ah the sort of owner I last saw cruising round central London in one, they really did convey that they had a certain look (though some people might not think it’s a good on)

bikebouy
    Free Member

We run a 90 on the Farm, been trouble free for about a week now. Ok it’s S/H, lives life on the Farm, carries all sorts of shite in it and yet we choose to use the Ford Ranger pickup if we’re pushed to go anywhere further than ohhhh, 30 miles.

Although you do tend to have fond memories and clouded judgment, the only way I’d ever have another is if it’s the last of the new series ones without the Air Con but all the other mods…

The Air Con melts the seals and the front radiators been hacked to bits to accommodate it.. Looks nice from a distance though, especially in dark Grey or Black.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Wilko…not fair. Why did you do that?

Actually, thanks for doing that. When I see a Defender on sale for £84K, I see sense, as it were.

sandwicheater

From the farmers I insure I’m always amazed how often one has had a Defender pinched.

Still wouldn’t stop me getting one but I’d want to keep it out of sight ie garage/barn or out of view from the road.

Suggsey
    Free Member

My one good reason not to buy one is have you seen figures of how many are being nicked at the moment all over the UK……appear to have taken over from BMWs!

siwhite
    Free Member

I’m on my third. First was a 90 winch challenge / greenlaner which I re-chassised. Second was a TD5 110 which I rebuilt on a galv chassis. Third is a Tdci also rebuilt on a new chassis. Spot a common theme?

They are great fun to drive and own, but not without thier downsides.

As standard, they are noisy, not very fast, agricultural to drive and can be tempramental, corrode, will leak water in and oil out and the heater is crap unless you buy a Puma. They are a money pit as well – who buys a Defender and doesn’t want to bolt some gucci kit onto it?

On the plus side, you’ll never lose money on a Defender if you look after it – they are one of the few vehicles that won’t really depreciate much.

Don’t view a 90 as anything other than a two seater – you CAN carry more people, but won’t be able to carry anything else.

A TD5 Discovery is a much more sensible vehicle for daily drive, but just don’t have that Defender factor. In short, you’ve got to HAVE to own one….

wilko1999
    Free Member

They’re one of the easiest vehicles in the world to nick and are dead easy to sell, so I’m told. I used to remove the rotor arm out of my series III lightweight whenever I parked it anywhere other than my garage. Not that anyone would have wanted to steal it mind

MikeT-23
    Free Member

So, for clarification then, is the reason there are so many used ones available for purchase because they are (arguably) built to last, or because original owners regret their decision and want shot of them?
    Or, just having read the immediate posts above, is it ‘cos they’ve been nicked and are being fenced?

MikeWsmith – I live in Edinburgh, and they don’t seem so out of place here as they might in central London. Perhaps because we’re not far from hills and farmland, or maybe the more landed gentry/weekend home on country estate types are more visible due to smaller population.

Anyway, so far so impressed. Thanks. Keep talking.

bikebouy
    Free Member

We have an immobiliser on ours, we’ve fitted a self destruct button in the form of an ignition key terminal on it..

rickmeister

Or…

timbur
    Free Member

Get a Fourtrak. The best four x four x further. Proper Tonka toy that can tow with massive grunt and is bullet proof. (albeit cheap when it does go wrong)

LR = the best faux x faux by far 😆

My mechanics hates LR’s with a passion. I had to drive a 110 long wheel base when I did some Ranger work on the SDW. Horrid things. the driving position is so squashed if you are of a normal height. On the road above 50 mph they are rather wretched as well. Look pretty but get use to being under it with a spanner and a hammer in hand.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ Them Mercs are quite “ace” 😀

IHN

Yeah, a supertanker’s turning circle I could live with, but with an added caravan, well, that would be too much.

Well, exactly

marcus
    Free Member

Because Land Rover also make the Discovery

mark90
    Free Member

Just the right level of bling 8)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWYVOmn27jI[/video]

trail_rat
    Free Member

Genuine lol at get a 4 trak…… The one vehicle of this world rhat rusted quicker than a montego.
    Defenders
    They are understandably aukward , but also great fun to drive in. Road trips happen at a different pace ….. But never yet stationary through mechanicals……avoid late models with the big dash – takes up too much room.

trail_rat
    Free Member
    onehundredthidiot

Get an ex military 110 wolf. Great fun “driving sensibly” with the soft top off and the rear end is robust. Well more robust than the front end of a civvie one.

biglee1

Driven enough army land rovers in my time to come to the conclusion that unless its for off road stuff only they`re shi te, slow, uncomfortable and horrible to drive.
    Thats my take on it anyway 😆

timbur
    Free Member

For the money a cheap LR will cost you’ll get a cracking Fourtrak.
    They rot but nothing a bit of welding and underseal doesn’t sort.
    Cheap to keep going as well.
    Just my 2p.

backinireland
    Free Member

Drove one when I lived in Edinburgh
    110 td5 csw
    Yes they can break down, no more so than any other car I’ve owned but they do tend to be cheap to fix
    Corrosion problem with chassis but also where aluminium meets steel like door frames
    If I was getting another I’d make sure the chassis, bulkhead and doors were well waxoyled
    There were only the two of us when I owned it, not sure how we would get on as a family of five. I borrowed a double cab 110 the other week and the three kids seats were a tight squeeze
    I’d also forgotten how agricultural they are having been driving a discovery 3 for the last six years
    Try and get a test drive for a long weekend before committing

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Tell me why I SHOULDN'T buy a Land Rover Defender’ is closed to new replies.