Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tell me what to do, (nicely)
  • deep_river
    Free Member

OK, after a couple of weeks of musing it over, I have decided on either

On one 456 ( trail)
    Genesis Altitude 20
    A CX bike for about £1000
    Boarman HT Pro

I am a general sort of rider, not a massive downhiller, but like to go out and balst around my local trails for a couple of hours. I realise that the 3 bikes are all different, but im not sure what ‘extra’ to add to my riding.

A harder core HT, an XC type steel hardtail, a racey Boardman, or a cx type for faster but less serious blasts around my local trails.

I currently just have a scott genius, and have £1000 to spend, what bike would you choose out of the 4 above?

Ta

TheSwede
    Free Member

Personally if I only had one fs bike I would prob get myself a road bike or a CX bike just to be as far from a fs mtb as poss. Plus I like the lycra when I loose the mud bug every now and then.

deep_river
    Free Member

I have test ridden them all, the trouble is I like them all, but not one better than the others.

arrghhhhh, why cant i make my mind up?

garage-dweller

If it was me I would want a contrast.

My thoughts should not be relied on as a definitive statement of what’s a good idea for you….

I run two hardtails (one lightweight + a 456 with toughish trail build) at the minute plus a roadbike. I go for the light hardtail for bashing out the miles, the heavy/harder one for shorter play rides and trail centres (as well as kiddy seat duty) and the road bike for road riding.

Because I mix up my riding across these 3 areas I have a go to bike for each and each one gives a different riding experience.

From your list I’d personally go either for the CX bike or a really lightweight racy hardtail.

The problem with choosing the 456 (and I love mine) is that for me it would compete with the Genius for the same kinds of rides (hence why my Spec Enduro frame donated its components for the 456 and is currently languishing in a box at the back of the garage).

Of course if you don’t know what you want you could just stick with the Genius (or is that heresy?)

deep_river
    Free Member

cheers for that reply,

Just sticking with the genius would save me 1000 quid! hmmmmmmm

TheSwede
    Free Member

Hhmm, easilly influenced. Why not sponsor me in my charity ride. I’m pedaling to the spar shop at the weekend to raise money for some beer. £1000 should get the liquids flowing nicely 😉

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Go for the biggest difference to what you have. Whatever that might be. And try not to buy new.

brakes
    Free Member

Genesis is a Ridgeback = no
    Boardman are only bought on Cycle to Work = no
    CX bike is for riding round muddy fields
    buy the On One – it’ll put a smile in your pants

deep_river
    Free Member

bump

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’d go CX if I were you.

A hardtail is still going to be dull if you want to ride out of the back door for an hour on routes which might involve a bit of tarmac to get to the trails.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tell me what to do, (nicely)’ is closed to new replies.