Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tell me about… school catchment areas
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, it seems we’re moving closer to the inlaws. This is fine, but now we have a daughter (admittedly only 3 months old) we need to consider where we live for future schooling.

This is alien to me because (1) this is our first child and (2) I was privately educated and so catchment makes no difference.

Can someone explin how they work, please?

woody2000

I don’t think they actually exist any more. People clamour to get into the “best” schools, which can be nowhere near where they live.

midlifecrashes

Varies massively from one local authority to another, but the distance door to door by reasonable roads and footpaths is more relevant these days than boundary lines, except at the edge of the local authority. Your LA should have their guidance on the web, but different school types get to set their own policies.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Can depend a lot on local areas, oversubscribed schools tend to be the strictest, whereas the undersubscribed will have massive boundaries.

We live “out of area” but were able to put a case of family ties into the school.

TBH I wish we hadn’t bothered with that school because of all the subsequent shite and poor pastoral care our son has been putting up with…….

wwaswas

wot midlifecrashes said for primarys in our area – distance to door. Secondaries are done on fixed catchments plus a lottery though.

ourmaninthenorth

OK, so primaries I can live with.

But secondary is, as I understand the machinations of the North-in-laws, the key one for catchment. Yes, that’s 10 years and 9 months away, but we really do have to plan for that apparently.

If we’re not going to live in the glitzier burbs of Manchester and are going to throw ourselves into the darkness of Lancashire, then I need to make the right decision..!

rig
    Free Member

Yes, that’s 10 years and 9 months away, but we really do have to plan for that apparently.

We moved into the catchment area of the best school in the county when our kids were that age … & now it’s in the worste 5% of secondary schools nationally! Doh!!

You’ve got a long way to go ourmaninthenorth – I’d advise concentrating on primary schools this now!

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

They measure as the crow flies from the door of the school to your front door. Outside the area (which might be very small if the school mostly collects the lion’s share of it’s input from another feeder school), you stand very little chance if a school is over subscribed.

Siblings of kids already there and special needs get priority regardless of where they live.

The government forces councils to hold a kangaroo court which is called “appeal”. For popular schools, it’s pointless and rather demoralizing, – but they are not allowed to tell you that. I’ve done it. All parents have a right to appeal though, whatever the (more or less pre-determined) outcome.

brassneck

Isn’t just based on geography – just sent no. 1 son to school (which happens to be the local, nearest anyway) and Mrs b is a reception teacher.

Each school usually has a criteria list that give you certain plusses to being accepted – such as children in local authority care get precedence to a nearby school, SEN, siblings already present etc. etc.

Of course, the lower the intake the more chance you have if you live a distance away.

fubar
    Free Member

If we’re not going to live in the glitzier burbs of Manchester

Some areas around Manchester (Trafford) still have state Grammar schools see here

This was news to me – a work colleague has had her 10 year old son being coached for the last year !

ourmaninthenorth

rig – that thought has crossed my mind.

fubar – some v good grammar schools in Manchester. But, the draw of rural life, free childcare and other reasosns mean they’re out.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about… school catchment areas’ is closed to new replies.