Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Tell me about rum please.
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

After my first taste of rum in Feb this year after a posh meal (23yr old Ron Zacapa) Mrs Coolhandluke bought me a bottle of Cockspurs Fine Rum. OK not exactly a 23 yr old Ron Zacapa but not £50 a bottle either.

Well the Cockspurs is almost all away.

Any advice on what I should look for next please in the rum department.

headfirst
    Free Member

Mount Gay or Bundaberg FTW

RustySpanner

I occasionally used to drink this stuff:

Very nice, but will destroy you both mentally and physically 😀
    It tastes delicious though.

Kryton57

Try Mount Gay XO (Barbados) and Chairmans reserve (St Lucian), IMO the MG is better but both very smooth.

FWIW neat not mixed btw.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mount Gay Extra Old. Smoother than a cashmere codpiece.

Their 1703 is astonishing. Only had it once, and couldn’t really justify buying a bottle!

Kryton57

…. That reminds me I have a bottle in the understairs cupboard *slopes of, crystal glass in hand*….

headfirst
    Free Member

a cashmere codpiece

One for the Christmas list.

debaser

How about the new superstar kraken stuff?

Looks like it might be style over substance, but I certainly like its style.

meehaja
    Free Member

My general tipples are:

Havana 7 year old,
    Mount Gay
    Appleton VX

For me, the more it looks like golden urine, the better it tastes. Lots of the “navy” type rums are too brown for me, and don’t even start on white rum, nasty stuff. Bacardi in all its forms is not rum.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Meehaja, the fresh white I had in Mauritius a while back was sublime. Best used for cocktails, though. Rum Collins FTW!

chakaping
    Free Member

Pusser’s!

No, not really, but I love the name.

Ron Barcelao Gran Anejo is very very nice and a very reasonable £20 a bottle. Think I might get myself another actually…

Here’s the Pusser’s BTW…

highclimber
    Free Member

Havana Club Anejo especial, Mount gay and (although not strictly rum) Sagatiba from brazil are some of the nicest.

Reign_Man
    Free Member

Mount Gay XO
    Cockspur Old Gold
    Pyrat

MussEd
    Free Member

Appletons Estate 12year old is tidy..

epicyclo

Bundie, s’good.

(Bundaberg Rum – can sing and fight all night on it, plus it enhances your intelligence and attractiveness to the opposite sex.)

alpin
    Free Member

canarian honey rum….

the GF bought 4 bottles back and got through i don’t know how many whilst we were there so it must be half decent.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

thats funny, i’ve just been on the bundy!

anyone know where to get it in the u.k?

ton

i’m as rough as a bears ar5e, i like morgans spiced stuff.
    have it in my hipflash over the winter for ride tipples.

monkeychild
    Free Member

All you need to know is this:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnowCNrE4rk[/video]

dogbert
    Free Member

Don’t know much about rum, but I hear people going on about this

My dad loves Rum, his favourite tipple:

MrSmith
    Free Member

not a fan of the made by the marketing department spiced rums for people who dont like real rum.

Angostura 1919 (Trinidad) and English Harbour (Antigua) are my favorites, dark rums but very smooth.

seosamh77
    Free Member

usually go for havana 7 myself.

iain1775
    Free Member

Mmmmm rum
    Memories of a month long holiday in Cuba and befriending the barman who sent an oversized and loudmouthed Canadian home with a bigger bar bill than he expected from an all inclusive hotel (although as he kept on that the Russians where coming it probably served him right)
    One for him, one for me, one for the bar 🙂
    I loved Cuba, I loved rum but I’ve no idea which was best but the 12 year old Ron Caney we brought back was very nice

mrgibbons
    Free Member

As a self professed rum connoisseur…a bottle ..or so a month…debaser – Kraken is the tits, it’s also frequently on offer here in Ontario, $23 a bottle, started drinking it several years back when I found in an obscure liquor store in Alberta. Bonza. It’s sweet, slightly spiced, lovely vanilla hint, it’s also lethal at 47%, have it with some ginger and lime and you’ll be very jolly before you know it. Sailor J’s makes a good second.

Cockspur isn’t that great from memory, I can’t remember buying it more than once. Havana clubs are great (there is one amber rum they do that I can’t find here in Canada for love or money 🙁 – I think it’s one of the Anejos? ) but generally they’re a little more expensive here anyway whereas Kraken is from the states. From a drinkability sense I find the Mount Gay too dry.

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Havana club 7yr, ordinarily

but

NIcaraguan Rum, Flor de cana. mmm

frogstomp

The Tesco Finest 8 Year Old Trindadian Rum is a very smooth and sippable tipple…

MrNutt
    Free Member

I picked up a bottle of Kraken from Constantine Stores the other day, I cannot recommend this place enough! http://www.drinkfinder.co.uk/

mountainman

Kracken website totally cool !!
    http://www.krakenrum.com/site.html

sharkbait
    Free Member

Another vote for Mount Gay – I have to admit that I drink it with ginger beer, very moreish and lethal 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

sharkbait – Member
    Another vote for Mount Gay – I have to admit that I drink it with ginger beer, very moreish and lethal

Add a good amount of lime and you’ve got a dark & stormy which is awesome!

clubber
    Free Member

not a fan of the made by the marketing department spiced rums for people who dont like real rum

🙄 well I suppose someone had to post some silly oneupmanship…

wl
    Free Member

Another vote for Flor de Cana, but I think you’ll have to travel to Nicaragua to buy it. Rum boffins seem to rate it. I just know it’s very tasty.

hp_source

mathewshotbolt – Member

thats funny, i’ve just been on the bundy!

anyone know where to get it in the u.k?

It’s not on their website (like a lot of their stock) – but I’m sure this place had it in last time I was there.

Wino’s Oldham

Helios
    Free Member

I’m all about Pampero Aniversario. Lovely Venezuelan stuff – in fact our Wedding cake was made with it – yummmm…

kiwijohn

Rum = Lunatic juice.

clubber
    Free Member

alcohol = lunatic juice.

Your point?

t_i_m
    Free Member

+1 havana club 7, although I’m prefering Angastora 1919 at the moment. Very smooth and lovely vanilla.

kiwijohn

Rum (& tequila) = more lunatic, more quickly.

warton
    Free Member

I’ll admit I only drink Havana club with Coke. do you lot drink it straight? bit of ice,or totally on its own?

clubber
    Free Member

kiwijohn – Member
    Rum (& tequila) = more lunatic, more quickly.

🙂 quite possibly. I find that Cachaça trumps both though 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about rum please.’ is closed to new replies.