Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tell me about rigid forks……
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Blown some seals on my SS bike’s forks. Wanted to ride it this evening, so thought, I’d go and get some rigid forks out of the shed and stick them on. They’re some forks that came with a Mongoose Transfer frame, so might have a trials leaning, or might just be boggo cheap rigid forks, I don’t really know.

Anyway, fitted them no problems, but realised that the front of the bike was very low. Compared fork length with my 140mm forks and they’re about 3″s shorted. Put an inch and a half of spacers in and it should be about ok to ride.

But, is this normal? If I bought some new rigid forks for general trail riding, would they be longer?

Cheers

TheBrick
    Free Member

I don’t know about your forks specifically but most suspension corrected rigid forks are around 440 mm axle to crown, non suspension corrected around 400 mm so you can measure and work out if your forks are suspension corrected forks. This will still be shorter than your 140 mm forks obviously but you would not want the geo with a rigid as you would with 140 mm suspension!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Yeah, I suspect mine are 400s or similar. Will see what they’re like and maybe get some 440s on the cheap or something.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Get a set of Salsa rigid forks and Elf’s Your Hairstylist! I fitted such onto the 456SS and needed an inch of spacers under the stem and some high-rise bars but the bike rides really well. Once I sort out my SS Inbred I shall transfer them onto it, no need for bouncy ones as you can use very fat tyres (I have adVantage 2.4″ fitted).
    Cheap forks are probably like cheap meat – ok but could be better.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

maybe get some 440s on the cheap or something.

if you can get some (used ones) below £30, you’ll have done very well. I’ve sourced 2 sets recently, and done a LOT of looking, and £30 seems to be the minimum for a 440mm disc fork. I did get some disc only Project Twos off Ebay, and they are lovely…. £50 though!

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Get some 29er Rigids on there … 465-470mm A-C will be about the same as your sagged 140mm suss fork, keep the geometries fairly good.

Dickyboy

Kona P2’s from Evans are £45 at the moment – vee & disc though

plumber
    Free Member

I found 2″ riser bars helped with my low front end – still a little low but prety good now

clubber
    Free Member

My experience of a very short (405mm) rigid fork on a 130mm travel hardtail was that it was just too quick so that pushing round a tight corner, I was tending to oversteer significantly – and I tend to like my bikes to handle fast… It was much better with a 440mm fork.

takisawa2

Seconded the 29er forks recomendation. I found my Inbred too low with 440mm’s on it. It was perfect with 29er forks on. Carbon rigids are obviously the assumed best option, yes they do flex so dont look down the legs as your braking heavy… 😉

I’ve put some of the Exotic alloy forks on the Wifes bike & they have a fair amount of flex also. If buying again I’d happily go with them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about rigid forks……’ is closed to new replies.