• This topic has 112 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Tell me about owning a cat…
  • titusrider
    Free Member

Or being a cat’s slave!

Planning to adopt a rescue over the next few weeks, what do I need to know/ will have forgotten to do? And any other tips for a first time owner.

Pictures very welcome 🙂

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

cat poo stinks ! make sure you get an enclosed litter tray.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Owning cats is easy

jonk

Females over Males as they tend to fight less, get into bother and don’t suffer with blocked wee pipes that costs you £500 a time to sort.

ddmonkey

You will see parts of the insides mice and other creatures that you never knew existed, often sicked up mixed with cat food and glued to the floor

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s very much like not owning a cat, but with higher Vets bills.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Get a cat flap. Feed it.

That’s about it.

Apart from disposing of dead, dying and perfectly healthy mice, birds, rats, rabbits, bats, frogs…

bearnecessities

Don’t do it.

They’re w@nkers, and that’s said as a cat lover.

Females over Males as they tend to fight less, get into bother and don’t suffer with blocked wee pipes that costs you £500 a time to sort.

You have no idea. Male cat with this issue reduced me to mental wreck. Admittedly I had a lot of other stuff going on which was probably more the problem, but £5k of bills made me glad of insurance.

Funny story, turned out I managed to figure out the cause myself. Vets = generally lovely people. Vet businesses = callous, patronising, heartless bastards

Bregante

Don’t mistake anything that they do as a show of affection. If they sit on your lap it’s because it’s warm. If they rub against your leg it’s because they have an itch. You are there to give them food and drink and that’s it.

Clever b@startds cats.

spooky_b329

With a rescue you get to choose a friendly cat. With kittens you are taking a chance, and may end up with one that does 72hr bivvy/hunting trips and only comes back to check you are still keeping an eye on his gaff.

Invest in a microchipped cat flap, you’ll be relieved when the local cats can’t get in to steal food, resulting in your cat scent marking the house. (a rescue cat will normally be chipped so no need for a chip collar)

We’ve only had two birds and a mouse in two years, plenty of sick episodes with one of them though.

Other tips…put the cat flap in a different room to the kitchen if possible, ours get shut in the kitchen at night and leave hair/footprints all over the worktops, and eat any rubbish out of the sink strainer. Wish I’d put the flap in the dining room! If there is anything interesting in the kitchen bin we have to stack something on the lid…

footflaps

We taught our to eat and drink at the table

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dLYjRm]Jeff and George drinking at the table[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

They dress up for Church on a Sunday

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dJBrq6]Jeff the killing machine[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

somafunk

They’ll shit all over your neighbours garden

breadcrumb

Fooflaps- We caught our old cat doing that, god knows how many times we’d taken a drink after it!

wilburt
    Free Member

They get fleas.
    They scrrarch furniture
    They destroy carpet
    They shit in sinks, washbaskets anywhere really.
    They spray everything with pee
    They lick and scratch when your trying to sleep.
    They knock stuff over.

Othwr than that the are ok.

postierich
    Free Member

They hate cucumbers 🙂

Unsuspecting Cats Get Completely Startled By … Cucumbers? Yep.

These cats are not as cool as their stealthy cucumber stalkers.

Posted by HuffPost Life on Saturday, November 14, 2015

hairybiker84
    Free Member

We’ve had 4 rescue/other people’s cast-off cats and they’ve all been totally different but ultimately lovely rewarding pets. We’re about 3 months into the current one and she’s really starting to have a lovely character now she’s getting confidence and realising the house is all hers. Ours have all been very much mainly house cats though which means we have to spend more time amusing them but don’t have to worry about traffic or sad t**ts inflicting cruelty on them. Saves on dealing with half-dead prey as well although probably not much difference when it comes to puke!

bearnecessities

How funny is that cucumber video!

loddrik
    Free Member

One is never enough…

scuttler
    loddrik
    Free Member

They get fleas.

Not if you keep on top of it with Advantage etc

They scrrarch furniture

Oh yes!

They destroy carpet

Oh boy yes.

They shit in sinks, washbaskets anywhere really.

Not if you keep a couple of clean litter trays they don’t.

They spray everything with pee

See above

They lick and scratch when your trying to sleep.

Keep bedroom door closed. Though they do sleep on my kids beds who love them deeply.

They knock stuff over.

Oh yes.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

They are great. We miss ours because we got lucky and got a complete cuddle tart!

wilburt
    Free Member

…forget to mention.

They also eat hamsters, rats, gerbils etc which helps keep the total pet population down.

garage-dweller

Dogs are much betterer

Goldfish are less hassle

Why compromise on something in between? 😛

PJM1974
    Free Member

After being a dog person for a long time, I’ve had cats for twenty years or so and have learned that there are a good many misconceptions about them.

Misconception #1. Ownership… it’s not ownership at all, but a mutually beneficial relationship, based solely on how much your cat trusts and respects you. If you try to impose discipline on a cat, they’ll merely cease to trust you and respect goes out the window. It is possible to establish boundaries though, with gentle perseverance.

Misconception #2. Intelligence. Dogs treat humans like other dogs. In order to get the best from your dog you have to behave like the pack leader, ergo dogs are too stupid to understand that humans aren’t dogs at all. Cats absolutely understand that humans are different to other cats and will use different vocalizations and body language to a human than they would another cat – even a close litter mate. Cats will also behave differently once again towards trusted dogs, imposing themselves as de facto pack leader.

Misconception #3. Solitude. Cats aren’t necessarily solitary creatures, they can exist in colonies in the semi-wild. My two are inseparable and never fight, despite both being males, they’re extremely affectionate with one another. Cats can even co-operate when hunting…remember this if you get more than one cat, it’s possible that both may be plotting to kill you at the same time (see 4).

Misconception #4. You can’t train a cat. You can absolutely train a cat, but it has to trust and respect you first (see 1). I’ve had cats who will sit and do tricks on command (or more accurately request). Remember though that training a cat is a two way street and that the cat you share a home with will actively be trying to train you to respond to their own commands and requests and will show absolute disdain if you’re too stupid to interpret these correctly.

There’s a great many more, they’re a species of individual characters. My two are snuggled up next to me as I type, one subtly attempting to usurp the laptop from my lap by any means available.

pictonroad

Where are you? Anywhere near Brighton? I’ve got a house trained neutered pair of 5yr old black cats here you can have. Came from a rspca. Great with kids, very affectionate, surplus to requirement.

boxelder

You can spook them with cucumbers…..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2-H5rexyYk[/video]

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Consider who will look after the at when you go holidays

boxelder

……. and the c

jamj1974

It can be great fun. They are not all aloof and distant. Ours was brilliant – loved being a part of everything.

fasthaggis

They get fleas.nope
    They scrrarch furniture ..nope
    They destroy carpet.tried to but only when they were kittens
    They shit in sinks, washbaskets anywhere really.nope,never
    They spray everything with pee,nope
    They lick and scratch when your trying to sleep.nope,they don’t get in to bedrooms at night.
    They knock stuff over.nope although they did try to climb the xmas tree

Get two from the same family. Ours are ace and bestist of mates.
    PJM1974 is spot on.

Xylene
    Free Member

Got one of these, great entertainment, and I love how the characterstics are bred in. Baffles me how personality can be bred into something

Xylene
    Free Member

ste_t
    Free Member

There’s nothing quite the like the proud look on his tiny face when you find mouse innards in your slippers.

Or a mouse with no face on the rug.

Or a battered blackbird flying around your bedroom.

It’s lucky he’s awesome or he’d be living on the streets

Rio

Piece of advice from my mother that Mrs R picked up – get a high-pitched bell or something as a food signal. It’ll soon learn what it means and when you want it in you won’t have to stand by the back door shouting out what is invariably a stupid name.

Teach it early on that being wrapped in a towel is a good thing. Saves endless scratching if you need to clean it or protect it if it’s hurt itself.

Elastoplast spray is great for when playing gets out of control (for you, not the cat – it’ll be fine).

Corrugated cardboard cat-scratchers are one of the greatest inventions ever for cats and their owners. Saves endless wear on the carpets and furniture. And forget expensive cat toys – your cat will love you for a cardboard box and some pingpong balls.

And a final piece of advice – avoid using your cat’s name as a username on forums, it can cause emotional problems when they go – RIP Rio 2003-2015.

wilburt
    Free Member

Not sure how funny that last line was meant to be but it was better than Jason Manford or Peter Kaye have managed this week of FB.

Reminds me of a girl I met in St Thomas 1990 but thats another story..

jools182
    Free Member

The lazy persons pet

Basically put food down then let it roam around the neighbourhood killing small animals and shitting in other people’s gardens

They are complete tossers

I reckon goldfish take more looking after

spooky_b329

Before feeding:

After feeding:

Ours are too lazy to roam the neighbourhood, and incapable of bringing in an animal that wasn’t already cold when found. And they use our garden…although they won’t if you don’t encourage them.

Harry_the_Spider

Don’t let it shit in my garden.

cranberry
    Free Member

One is never enough

Two can seem like more than plenty.

Seriously- cats are easier to live with than a dog, far more intelligent and are great to have around the house.

Get your cat registered for insurance before taking it to the vet for the first time – other wise anything that the vet thinks that they might have found will have to be declared and won’t be covered.

Give your cat somewhere nice and high – that’ll be a safe place for them to look down on their territory.

A few toys – I can recommend cat springs if you have a hard floor – will go a long way to keeping your cat active and happy and help the two of you to bond.

Pigface
    Free Member

Cats are ace, where I live is a little monster who is now 8 months old, will say hello most mornings. Some bastard hoofed him about a month ago for just sitting on the side of the path. He got a bit wary then but if he is out the front always comes for a little cwtch.

Pigeon killer extraordinaire.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about owning a cat…’ is closed to new replies.