Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Tell me about… Full face trail lids , Met Parachute , Bell Super??
  • VanHalen

if teh medium is too small (bearing in mind a full face is supposed to be a little tight to stop it moving – the bike shop should be able to advise on fit, if they cant walk away to another shop) and teh large too big you need to look at an alternative lid.

if the fit isnt right you`ll still end up like that photo previous as the lid will move in a crash.

mail order helmets is such a bad idea.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

If it’s too small around the temples, there are some rubber liners that you can remove – although these might act as slip plane surface for the MIPS.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I had another play with my large one (Fnarr).

I think I might stick with it – I think it’s more to do with how wide it looks at the front where the chin bar attaches compared to a normal lid, that and the fact I’ve always been a giro medium size. Might stick some pics up.

Evans agreed a medium looked too small and sat on my temples. The large one I’ve bought was from Merlin – hoping not to have to send it back ..

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Agreed it looks large to the sides, as the part that attaches to the chinbar is lifted away from your face. I think it looks pretty cool anyway, looks a lot like a BMX lid or a combat helmet when on – the least “cyclist” looking MTB half lid that I have ever worn.

pjm7
    Free Member

Got a Met Parachute on it’s way for a trip to the Alps, not sure how often I’ll wear it in the UK, suppose it will depend how well I get on with it.

hora
    Free Member

I tried the bell super 2r on last night. It sizes up smaller.

I’m a S/M in a Ixus but large in this. It might suit Giro heads.

hora
    Free Member

Bluegrass GoldenEye looks very very similar to the Met

jmatlock
    Free Member

Cheers Hora, I’m only just a Medium Specialized/Giro/Kask

at 59cm, it’s gotta be the large.

Chap up thread, don’t send it back. Sell it to me?

bubs

Did we come to a decision on whether the Met or the Bell was better for Alien shape heads (long and thin)?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tried both, neither perfect, bring on the Giro

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I have a medium Giro sized head but had to get the large bell super. Comparatively it feels big but I think that’s just the shape of it (it’s wider than normal lids to allow for the chin guard).

I was very pleasantly surprised how comfortable it was in full face mode for a spin up big hills in the peaks; a bit hotter than my old lid but really not too bad.

gribble
    Free Member

Have bought a Super 2R. Find the large size just big enough for my massive head, so slightly tighter than Giro but still comfortable. Star Wars options now make it a must buy, if you are sad like me.

I bought it for BPW and Snowdon planned trips, but have not managed either yet so only used it without chin guard. Very well designed lid though.

I made the mistake of removing the go pro mount and now can not get it back on securely, it always rocks forward. Does anyone know the best way to tie it back on? Apologies for thread hijack…

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Gribble – sorry but I don’t fancy removing mine to find out now 🙂

Pics of mine below.

hammerite
    Free Member

I went to Austria to ride last month. After 2 days on the “beginners” blue route I decided that I really should get a full facer. Went searching for a Super 2R or a Parachute, a few places sold the Bell and only one place sold the Met. Both helmets were eye wateringly expensive compared to what I could get them for here.

I looked at a few full time n DH full facers but was put off as it would have not get really limited use back here.

Then I stumbled across a shop selling an Alpina King Carapax. Lightweight, plenty of vents and a detachable chin guard. It is a screw on chinguard rather than a clasp like the Super 2R has, but it only takes about a minute to take off and put back on. This be honest though the chin guard is really no hindrance anyway. Definitely worth looking at if people are considering an enduro style helmet.

Laser are also releasing one, although for some reason the chin guard part isn’t yet available.

gribble
    Free Member

Ropey. Thanks, I think I was trying to over-complicate the fastening. Looks to me that it is just strapped round the one piece of helmet and velcroed up tight.

Will give that a go.

By the way, colour looks great!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I quite like zipping down the road, but they days, I cannot help but notice how sharp and pointy the rear of dustbin lorries are! 😆

To be honest, I’m not sure why I did not properly consider buying my first ever full face helmet in the aftermath of my RTA.

Are full facers easy to come by in ~62cm size for an elliptical head shape?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

No probs Gribble – yep it looks like it’s just a single wrap around of Velcro stuff.

Nobodyofthegoat – worth trying a bell super like the above but I think 62cm is the max size they list it will fit.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Had a met parachute for 18 months or so and think they’re great when you need extra protection. Have done 5 or 6 enduros in it of 12-15 mile loops and not had any heat issues with it (and I swear a lot!) over and above what I normally have. Really like the securing mechanism that works around your whole head and not just the back as well and the anti sweat band keep the sweat out of my eyes better than other helmets I’ve tried

The trick with the D rings is not to undo them. The strap is purposely left long enough that when its loosened to its fullest you can slide the helmet on and off your head

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about… Full face trail lids , Met Parachute , Bell Super??’ is closed to new replies.