Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Tell me about… Full face trail lids , Met Parachute , Bell Super??
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

So… I quite like zipping down big rocky descents in the peaks but quite often think how sharp and pointy the rocks look.

How do peoples get on with these ere ”trail” full facers? I’m particularly interested in those with removable chin bars – is it practical to ride up hills with them removed and then attach them for the pointy rock descents?

Ta

Ambrose

I’ve replaced my old Met Parachute with a Bell Super. Neither ever felt particularly constricting when wearing the chin bar. The Bell chin guard is really easily removed/ reattached with three ski boot style buckles. There is no need to remove the lid from your head to do this either.

vincienup
    Free Member

My new style Parachute was a great all year trail lid until I smashed my head into a tree in Spain and scraped myself off the bike doing it (didn’t see the second branch…)

It still looked the right shape and seemed OK, but by that point I’d crashed it so much I didn’t really trust it anymore.

Great helmet that I’d but again without worries. . For me, the fixed chin bar was the sale over the Bell. A removable chin bar will never be there when you need it, and if you never remove a removable chin bar it’s pointless.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I was facing the same choice between the Bell and the Met. In the end I chose the Met.

I find it pretty comfortable and it’s not much hotter than than my Troy Lee A1.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I know this is probably not what I should be worrying about but do any of you guys worry about appearing like a phat, middle aged AGNI mincing about with a full facer?

(Assuming of course that you’re middle aged, well padded and have all the gear and no idea)

I just worry I’ll look like a twot and a sweaty one at that , struggling up the climbs in a full face lid..

Lester
    Free Member

I tried the met parachute , but found the sizing off, the right size helmet and the chin guard was too tight, the right size chin guard meant helmet was too loose, and I also don’t like the d buckle. I switched to the bell and couldn’t be happier, great fit and really comfy,

johnw1984
    Free Member

Nope, couldn’t give a shit what people think I look like to be honest. If they’re offended at the sight of someone with a full face helmet, it says more about their hangups than anything else.

I noticed though that the upper part of the Parachute was the same as the Bluegrass Goldeneyes helmet. I had a large in that and ended up selling as it was too big.

Went for a medium Met and fitted the thinner pads and it’s spot on. Helmet fit is quite a personal thing though I admit. The D buckle can be a faff with gloves on though 🙂

takisawa2

I know this is probably not what I should be worrying about but do any of you guys worry about appearing like a phat, middle aged AGNI mincing about with a full facer?

Oh yes. 🙂

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Are they breezy enough not to melt in on a full day’s riding (say 5 hrs) up big hills?

richwak
    Free Member

Bell super is great in many ways especially that extra bit of protection but even without the chinbar it is by far the hottest helmet i have worn so for me the trade off is having a hot head over having broken teeth. I take the hot head.

conkers
    Free Member

A friend and I got laughed at for doing upper cliff at cannock with bell super chin bars on. Yes I could see why they were laughing at two wheezy old fat blokes on gnarpoons wearing full faces at a trail centre. My mate has porcelain front teeth from an OTB fifteen years ago and I had pain in a tooth for three years after slipping on ice. So we figure dental pain is worse than humilition, not by much though.

The bell super is a bit warm with or without the chin bar but no worse than my old 661 half shell. The chin bar is actually very easy to breathe through on climbs but you do get that “that’s better” feeling when taking it off after putting in some effort. It’s still miles better than a DH full face though.

The chin bar straps easily to both my back packs and is quite unobtrusive so is no problem just having it strapped on for somewhere like FOD where I can do a loop then go straight on to the DH.

tall_martin

A mate of a mate wears a full on carbon dh lid on cross county rides. He had masses of metal holding his face together after a nasty crash, don’t worry what people think go for it. 🙂

I’ve got the Bell super, but I’ve never worn the chin guard. I probably should. It’s fine for 4 h riding without the chin guard

vincienup
    Free Member

Breezy: the Met might actually be overventilated for colder months. It’s fine in the Basque in Summer. You won’t melt 🙂

D buckles, well real helmets have used them forever. They become second nature really fast. Best way I found to live with this helmet was undo the dial fully and undo the strap fully when removing helmet. Inside a few rides it was no more noticeable than a clip buckle giro or whatever to fasten and put on or take off.

stevio

leisure Lakes have a pair of Ltd Ed Star Wars enduro helmets out if it might swing the decision; 1 * trooper, 1* Bobba Fett ;

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/102148/products/bell-super-2r-mips-star-wars-boba-fett-helmet.aspx

singlespeedstu

The new Giro Switchblade should be out soon.
    From the pics I’ve seen it looks a lot less special than the Met or Bell.

Goldigger
    Free Member

stevio – Member
    leisure Lakes have a pair of Ltd Ed Star Wars enduro helmets out if it might swing the decision; 1 * trooper, 1* Bobba Fett ;
    http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/102148/products/bell-super-2r-mips-star-wars-boba-fett-helmet.aspx

But no princess Leia!!
    I’d rather put my head inside her than a trooper or Bobba Fett!

😀

vincienup
    Free Member

double post deleted

chakaping
    Free Member

I bought the Parachute for a recent biking holiday because I had a broken nose and wasn’t really supposed to be riding.

Managed to land on my face on day three, so it earned its keep.

Medium fit me nicely, looks fine to my eyes and the venting works very well. The D-rings were annoying for me, but we were shuttling most days so I was removing it a lot.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hi, so – I’ve got a bell super but ordered it online and am concerned about sizing.

My head seems to be 58.5-59cm and I bought a Large (60cm+).

The helmet to me looks a bit large but then I’m quite large!

What head size / helmet size do you have?

Ta

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you are worried about heat on the climbs (but not the flat) just take it off when climbing. Won’t take any longer than removing a chin guard Weill be a lot cooler.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The Bell is one of the warmer lids I have worn… as for taking it off on the climbs no thanks for techical or road climbs. Also if it’s for racing it has to be on.

In lots of ways the Bell is the proper 2 lids in one, not perfect at either but when your only going to carry one better than taking the wrong one.

hora
    Free Member

Do you have to wear a helmet on protracted climbs? It’s not an unspoken law you know.. 🙂 I always take mine off.

TheBrick
    Free Member

A new level of paranoia!

poah
    Free Member

I’ve got a met parachute, wouldn’t go riding without it and my son has a bell super 2r which saved his face the other day.

Kahurangi

Do you have to wear a helmet on protracted climbs? It’s not an unspoken law you know..

Almost every organised event I’ve ridden, if you’re on your bike you must be wearing a helmet, properly fastened.

Otherwise, knock yourself out! 😉

rocketman
    Free Member

A friend and I got laughed at for doing upper cliff at cannock with bell super chin bars on

Cannock is THE place to go for headwear

The goggles + trail lid combo is totally passe now and ff are everywhere even on the green route

What you need is one of those lids with full sides like an open face motorbike helmet. Everyone’s wearing them

sideshow
    Free Member

Have a parachute as the bell didn’t fit me.

You can make it cooler on long climbs by popping the cheek pads out. Which must be pretty much equivalent to removing the bell chin bar in terms of ventilation (and safety as of course the chin bar is useless without the pads).

For shorter climbs I just leave the pads in so protected for 100% of the ride. I never feel I’m breathing my own CO2.

That said I still prefer an xc lid for “normal” riding, the met comes out on days where I expect more gnarr.

Just did several uplift days with it as well. It’s nicer to wear than the 661 comp (which I left at home to save van space) as it’s lighter which is easier on my neck. Obviously not quite as burly in a crash, though; might need replacing if I have an unfortunate one.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mate is bringing me a switchblade to try on in a couple of weeks from his thoughts on the demo/sales weekend could be my new lid for n du ro

hora
    Free Member

I’m not ‘dissing anyone for wearing head protection. Last night on tv I watched a cyclist land face first into a cattlegrid. His life changing injuries were terrible.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And just found out switchblade is not available till after interbike

VanHalen

My head seems to be 58.5-59cm and I bought a Large (60cm+).

so you measured your head then bought the wrong size helmet? i see a return coming on.

they are large helmets. i`d love one but they dont fit me.

as with any helmet fit is everything. even moreso with a full-face.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hmm, I’ve just tried on a medium which definitely doesn’t fit me.

The large feels comfy but just feels a bit big but i wonder if that’s to do with the wider profile of these lids where the chin bar attaches?

porter_jamie

my wife has a bell with the removable chin bar. the chin bar comes off and stashes nicely using the straps of the pocket in the camelbak. we had a week in the alps a few weeks ago, and i was using my 661 which doesn’t have any vent holes (or removable chin bar of course) – and i was envious of it. She took the bar off for the pedally bits and we did a bit of hike a bike too, and stuck it back on at the top of the lifts. i think everyone in our group is going to get one now…

jimmy

I’m not ‘dissing anyone for wearing head protection. Last night on tv I watched a cyclist land face first into a cattlegrid. His life changing injuries were terrible

This: http://bbc.in/2aDTQ2j

Watched it, too and it put the jeebies up me. OK, he was riding on an icy day but jeeso, that’s some life changer. I’ve been thinking about full facers myself since last night.

I had a Bell Super 2r that I bought for the last BPW trip. I sold it as it was a tad too big. Had I been wearing it, i wouldn’t have ended up like this…

That was just coming off on a trail in the woods I’ve ridden dozens of times.

I’ve now bought another

craig24
    Free Member

Quite fancy a Bell Super myself.

hora
    Free Member

Theartist..It makes you look both pensive and wistful? Either that or you’ve dropped some soup down your top? 😀

BoardinBob

Bell Super R here. Chinguard strapped to my Evoc pack for climbs. On and off in seconds without taking the helmet off.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Has anyone gone from a Specialized or Kask helmet to a Bell Super?

Did you size up/down or stay the same?

Cheers

James

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Bell Super R here. Chinguard strapped to my Evoc pack for climbs. On and off in seconds without taking the helmet off.

Same, it’s a bit awkward at first but now I’ve had some time with it I can get it off and on with the efficiency of a Formula One pit crew.

Also, it allows you not to avoid sniggers from CXers when they ride past you up hills. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about… Full face trail lids , Met Parachute , Bell Super??’ is closed to new replies.