Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Tell me about campervans
  • dave_aber
    Free Member

+1 for Bongos and Bongo Fury

Good compromise if you want to use them every day as a car, albeit a bit heavy on fuel. Can't really get a bike inside overnight though, unless you sleep upstairs. Smaller than comparable VWs, but a heap more for your money.

dave_aber
    Free Member

+1 for Bongos and Bongo Fury

Good compromise if you want to use them every day as a car, albeit a bit heavy on fuel. Can't really get a bike inside overnight though, unless you sleep upstairs. Smaller than comparable VWs, but a heap more for your money.

khani
    Free Member

another happy bongo owner here, i'v had a 2wd 2.5tdi auto with a hightop and been to france/holland/germany all over the uk and just been to livigno italy with 5 peaple ski kit and luggage no problems at all, had it nearly 4yrs now and not had any problems, runs a dream and cruises at 70-80 no problem, and suprisingly well equipped with ew, cl, dual zone aircon, fitted blinds on windows, electric elevating roof ect, use it as my everyday transport as its no wider or longer than a mondeo so easy to park, can be a bit juicy if you cane them but they pick their feet up pretty well for a vantype thing, good ones seem to start at 4-5k upwards 7-8k will get a fully fitted minter

vinnyeh

Bongo here as well, got the hi-top, no conversion. We've done a month away- two young kids up top, wife and I downstairs, kit gets thrown into a small driveaway awning at night. Bit tight, but doable. Like Khani says, good equipment level and very reliable if you look after the couple of known risk areas. Aircon is a real bonus – couldn't find many vans at a reasonable price with it – if you're going to be in hot climates. We ended up selling our other car because the Bongo was so practical as a day to day driver, apart from that it's a bit thirsty, and won't fit onto many multi storey carparks.
    It's great as a biking van- bike fits in the back wheels on, along with the kit- only needs the back row of seats folded up, so good security, and I sleep up top.

garethh
    Free Member

Added some pictures of my van onhere

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Do it, you won't look back. Would never be without ours

Yes, VWs are expensive, but hold their value incredibly well. We bought our T4 Westy for £11.5K two years ago and I could sell it for the same tomorrow (not that I'm going to mind).

Yes, you could buy or DIY a a builders van conversion, but it won't be so well kitted out and you may have problems with insurance.

It makes a HUGE difference what time in the year you buy… you will pay top dollar now, but wait until the Autumn and you will get a much better deal.

If you're not looking to hold onto the van long term, and can't be fussed with the hassle of selling when you get back, you could also consider buying from somewhere with a guaranteed buyback scheme – lots of dealers do it. Cheaper than hiring long term and a good escape route if you find you don't get on with it, but personally I would just buy something decent and have faith you'll be able to sell it on next season.

davidj

@dave_aber: Nice conversion. Do you know who did it?

thanks

simonm
    Free Member

Bongo here too, We have a Wellhouse conversion.. very nice.. we love ours, Watching prices of these some go for 6-7k for couple year old ( from import + conversion date so 10 yrs usuall) with 60-70k on the clock.

To be honest though for MTBing, I'd prefer a longer wheelbase converted Van that you can also keep the bikes in aswell as sleep in.

bakey

dave_aber – that looks like a Celtic Motorhome job. Same as ours. Top bloke.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

anyone know the towing capacity of a bongo? considering a camper thing but would have to be able to tow a horsebox with 2 small horses (icelandic)

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about campervans’ is closed to new replies.