Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Tell me about all-in-one lights
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I remember some Hope ones coming out a while back that were a small cylinder with battery in back and LEDs in the front. Then I read about things like this , small self contained units that would be perfect for my business travel by bike – this one charges via USB.

I wondered what else would be good – small, self contained, not too expensive, and bright enough for canal towpaths, unlit roads and the like. Good runtime a plus, as is many different levels of brightness. Don’t want to dazzle motorists unnecessarily.

GW
    Free Member

like a torch you mean?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, except that torches are usually hand held, I need this for my bike 🙄

Like clip on commuter lights but that are bright enough to off-road.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    valleydaddy
    Free Member

Exposure Joystick or Flash?

Highland28
    Free Member

Like exposure joystick type thing, but MUCH cheaper?

snotrag

The Exposure spark is really good for what it is – tiny, good value, and beautifully built.

Kind of like a Joystick ‘basic’.

I use one as the commuter/bar light, general purpose torch etc

aracer
    Free Member

Well, except that torches are usually hand held, I need this for my bike

Like a torch with a bike mount then?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, like a torch with a bike mount.

Don’t mind paying £100 or so if it’s good, maybe more but would prefer less.

The Exposure Flash could be interesting. Not very bright but only £35… Snotrag how’s that Exposure Spark off-road or say, out in the countryside on a road bike?

hilldodger
    Free Member

If your up to £100 then worth trying to get a look at the new Lezyne lights, they’re all USB-able and sound like they’re OK for towpath/track use.

http://bikemagic.com/gear/first-looks/lezyne-develops-range-of-led-lights.html

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne/cycle/lights-reflectives/

Bez

Try the new Lezyne lights. All under 100 notes and should fit your criteria.

molgrips
    Free Member

I did see those on CRC.. What does 300 lumens look like out on a trail? Anyone ride with that and manage ok?

hilldodger
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    What does 300 lumens look like out on a trail? Anyone ride with that and manage ok?

I use a Hope vision 1 for local ‘easy’ trails, it’s only 240 lumens on max power and for me, is fine – would want something brighter for tech trails or those I didn’t know so well.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d be on my hyrbid so it would be paths and fire-roads only. Having said that, I find going fast on road to be one of the hardest things to do because you are going much quicker so you need to see further ahead, and tarmac tends to be black so doesn’t reflect much light..

Waderider
    Free Member

Look at moon lights.

Bez

What does 300 lumens look like out on a trail? Anyone ride with that and manage ok?

Depends on the beam – you can wazz the lumens over a whole hemisphere or make a little laser beam.

IMO your average 300 lumen thing will be fine off-road provided (a) you’re happy with high speed being a bit of an adrenaline fix and (b) you’re not out riding with a bunch of mates who have all have £300 lights. I’ve got by with plenty less.

On-road, 300 lumens is marginal if you want to get a wriggle on. My Joystick is 240 in a moderately tight beam and road descents can require faith or a photographic memory of potholes, but other than that it’s ok. Wet tarmac absorbs lumens like crazy, so if unfamiliar roads are wet then you really want more light. Or you can just slow down a bit.

dmjb4
    Free Member

The Hope Vision 1 has a really narrow beam and is still not bright enough for use in a group off off road. I had and still have one for emergencies, as it runs on 4xAA, but use my old Vistalite 10w halogen (200 lumen) in preference as the flood is so much better. The old Vista is just a far better light all round.

To be honest the magicshine bike light I also have is just so, so much better, even now entering its 3rd winter…

M6TTF
    Free Member

That’s a great link. Those fluxient lights seem like good value – not seen them or heard of them?

monstermarrow
    Free Member

molgrips,

You need a Light & Motion Vis 360.

Best £100 all-in-one USB chargeable commuter light out there:

– Never gets nicked off your bike (its on your head)
    – Never gets left at home (its on your head)
    – Never have to faff around clipping / unclipping from your bike (its on your head)
    – Always points light where you want to see (its on your head).
    – Great for when you are locking / unlocking your bike in the dark, as it leaves you both hands free to faff around with your lock (its on your head).
    – Its as bright as you will ever need a commuter light to be.
    – Its the only light that gives front, rear, and SIDE illumination in traffic. (Has amber LEDs pointing sideways front and back. They dont look like much until you see them in the dark, where they are suprisingly effective.
    – Its USB chargeable.

What more could you want?

iainc

I occasionally ride off road with just my Joystick (300 lumens) and it’s fine, but as said above you have to take it a bit easy on unfamiliar stuff. It’s good for commuting, but on unlit pitch black tarmac roads it is a bit lacking. I do have a new Maxx D, which is about 1300 lumens and that is ideal on dark roads 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

You need a Light & Motion Vis 360.

That’s not all-in-one, is it?

I hate lights on my helmet only and it’s a very bad idea for riding in traffic. I would never in a million years commute with that setup.

br
    Free Member

Molgrips

If you are still contacting just buy something decent and expense it, in fact, just buy something decent.

Exposure Toro.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not contracting any more……

spokebloke
    Free Member

I took delivery of all three models of Lezyne lights last week.

I night ride a lot (at least twice a week) until now I’ve used stuff I’ve either made or imported in bulk. My current helmet light is a homebrew single XPG with narrow lens, running at about 300 lumens, with a two cell battery strapped on the back of the helmet.

The MiniDrive was the first I unpacked, so I cabled tied it onto my lid (no official helmet mount yet) and set off.

Build quality was excellent, and beam was nice and tight – ideal for a helmet light. The light is rated at 150 lumens so I wasn’t expecting miracles, but it was surprisingly good. I’d say the Powerdrive would be close to ideal, although I haven’t tried it on the lid yet.
    They use off-the-shelf protected cells (18650 for Power and SuperDrive, CR123a for MiniDrive) so spares / replacements are ridiculously cheap too.
    If you’re in the South Glos area and want to play with one, let me know.

Saccades
    Free Member

On-road, 300 lumens is marginal if you want to get a wriggle on

Your wriggle is faster than my wriggle obviously, because your not on darker/potholier roads than I (ballygobackwards to ballygoverybackwards).

I use a exposure race maxx (the old 480 fella) on flash to get drivers attention (it keeps low power flood on and a 1 a sec bright flash) and a Hope 1 on the head to give me a bit of tight beam 3D for stuff.

Only time I can’t see what’s going on is when the rain blinds me.

TiRed

Exposure Strada. Love mine. About 400 lumens and a nice wide beam with a dim-able spot and flash mode. As a plus, it’s great off road. See above as it’s basically the race. Need a helmet light as well for the more technical stuff really, although I don’t have one yet.

monstermarrow
    Free Member

Bez

hilldodger
    Free Member

Well, tempted by SpokeBlokes £10 off code my Superdrive arrived today (only ordered thursday eve, great service!!)
    All looks good in a pleasing Flash Gordon style, solid build, nice usb cover, OK clamp – passed the “don’t look into the light” test, well you have to don’t you 😳

On charge now (4 hr charge time) can’t wait for it to get dark and try it out……

br1zz
    Free Member

Exposure Flash is brighter if used with rechargeable batteries than with disposable. Still only 110 lumens though.
    I use one on strobe to get to work with a vision4 for the unlit bits. I treat the flash as a back-up light – it would be bright enough to get me there (country road) but not ideal in weekday traffic with car headlights drowning it out twice a minute. It is fine on its own on an unlit tow-path I use.
    £100 would get you the flash and the super-bright flare rear light with batteries and charger if you are interested in being seen as well as being able to see…
    £110 would get you the above and a second flash for the front ?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Yep, it’s a good’un 🙂

hood over the lens diverts some light over the front wheel and two little cut-outs give some sideways visibility.
    Beam throw is good, on road was lighting up reflective signs at 100m (ish) on high, off road was sufficient for trails you know well with no apparent ‘hot spots’.
    The bar mount needed a strip of inner tube inside to make it really secure, but my bars are quite glossy, and I have to line most clamps that don’t come with rubber pads so no big deal.
    Running alongside a Hope vision 1 I couldn’t tell the HV1 was on except with low power (of three plus flash) – high is quoted as 450L, no way of knowing how accurate this is.
    Will be great as a helmet light when the mount becomes available, til then its zip ties.
    Recharging via USB is simple, the light flashes on a very low setting until it’s charged so easy to tell when it’s done.
    Worth a look for those who want a mid power light that can do bars or helmet…..

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about all-in-one lights’ is closed to new replies.